V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,
Had a discussion with my dad this weekend about synthetic oils. He's a die hard dyno oil fan, and I'm a synth fan. Anyway, we were wondering if synthetic oils were really 100% synthetic, or if they had a percentage of dyno in them? Thanks...
 

·
XLIII
Joined
·
10,078 Posts
petrock said:
Hey,
Had a discussion with my dad this weekend about synthetic oils. He's a die hard dyno oil fan, and I'm a synth fan. Anyway, we were wondering if synthetic oils were really 100% synthetic, or if they had a percentage of dyno in them? Thanks...
Yes, all the full synthetics are made of 100% polyester, and a dynamometer is not used in the process.
 

·
The Anti-RUB
Joined
·
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Type of oil is any full syn, like Amsoil/Castrol/Mobil1 full syns. It was an argument about full syns in general.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
39 Posts
This is probably a stupid question, but if they can make 100% Man Made Oil, why can't they make Man Made Gasoline?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,037 Posts
johsch53 said:
It would probably cost 10 dollars a gallon.
It can be made from coal.

Back to the original question Mobile-1 took Castrol to court claiming that Syntec was not truly a synthetic.......they lost.
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
2,645 Posts
petrock said:
Type of oil is any full syn, like Amsoil/Castrol/Mobil1 full syns. It was an argument about full syns in general.
Amsoil and Mobil yes. Castrol is hydrocracked dino and isn't a real synthetic the last I heard. Mobil had sued Castrol over this a few years ago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
The debate over what the composition of the oil is made of is not as important as the performance level it gives to the customer. I have been caught up in this type of debate for years and what should be more important is what will it do for my vehicle. If tomorrow an oil came on the market that was made from coal dust and it made an engine live longer and get better gas mileage and etc. then that's the oil I would use.

To answer the original question though, there is only a few oils on the market that are made from true chemical composition and that is at present Mobil, Amsoil, Redline, and may be a few others. The other brands typically use the other synthetic that is 100% petroleum oil. There is several synthetics on the market presently using many different base stocks. In 1999 the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the council of Better Business Bureau ruled in a debate of what is "synthetic". Mobil challenged Castrol's replacement of polyalphaolefins (PAO's) with hydroisomerized waxes in their synthetic formulations. The Bureau ruled in Castrols favor and allowed them to call this hydroisomerized processed petroleum oil a synthetic. The NAD ruled that synthetic was just a marketing term since there was no true definition of what synthetic is. Since then many oil companies have replaced their True Synthetics with this highly refined petroleum oil in place of the more expensive True Synthetic PAO's. These new highly refined petroleum oils are better in quality and performance than the cheaper refined oils, but only come close in some parameters to a True synthetic oil and are cheaper to manufacture.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Synthetic vs. Dino !!!

Hi. I spoke to a Texaco rep. on snythetics. I told him that synthetic oil, like anything synthetic, is "Man Made". He said no. Synthetic oil "is" oil! The manufactures remove the bad molecules from the oil. The slippery ones etc. they keep. Another words the good molecules ,they keep. This cost more to produce!! Conventional oil(dino), has the low temp burning molecules in it. Dino oil is heavier than synthetic. Haven't you noticed that!! It has more Mass. Synthetic runs cooler in auto engines since it runs "down"(more slippery), to the oil pan faster! Remember that they painted the inside of the oil gallerys! On Harleys there isn't any oil pan. Synthetic will work excellent in Evos & up. Their clearences are tighter. I'm a Panhead rider. These engines ran the thick stuff. With synthetic oil, thier oil pumps can not produce enough pressure. The clearances are so large, that with the added "slipperyness" of synthetic, the older pumps' gears actually just spin free!!
There isn't enough "Mass" for their oil pump gears to grab! Think about it. Not only does it make sense, but it is true! I ran Synergyn 70wt Racing oil for a while. Pressure was a lot less than dino Kendal GT 70 racing oil. I'm forced to stay with dino. It was also recomended by the Texaco oil man,and he's out for bucks! Hope this helps, Panheadron
 

·
2005 Road King Classic
Joined
·
1,632 Posts
Texaco man??? Written from the poster of 1. Oh brother.

:beatdh:
 

·
FOG
Joined
·
6,970 Posts
panheadron said:
Hi. I spoke to a Texaco rep. on snythetics. I told him that synthetic oil, like anything synthetic, is "Man Made". He said no. Synthetic oil "is" oil! The manufactures remove the bad molecules from the oil. The slippery ones etc. they keep. Another words the good molecules ,they keep. This cost more to produce!! Conventional oil(dino), has the low temp burning molecules in it. Dino oil is heavier than synthetic. Haven't you noticed that!! It has more Mass. Synthetic runs cooler in auto engines since it runs "down"(more slippery), to the oil pan faster! Remember that they painted the inside of the oil gallerys! On Harleys there isn't any oil pan. Synthetic will work excellent in Evos & up. Their clearences are tighter. I'm a Panhead rider. These engines ran the thick stuff. With synthetic oil, thier oil pumps can not produce enough pressure. The clearances are so large, that with the added "slipperyness" of synthetic, the older pumps' gears actually just spin free!!
There isn't enough "Mass" for their oil pump gears to grab! Think about it. Not only does it make sense, but it is true! I ran Synergyn 70wt Racing oil for a while. Pressure was a lot less than dino Kendal GT 70 racing oil. I'm forced to stay with dino. It was also recomended by the Texaco oil man,and he's out for bucks! Hope this helps, Panheadron

Spare me.

^rolleyez^

T113
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
True........

What George Douglas said......ONLY Amsoil, Redline, and Mobil1 are true syns. The best being Amsoil. (in my humble opinion, use whatever you want)

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,305 Posts
George Douglas, Is it true that Amsoil buys some of their PAO base stock from Mobil Corp.? The reason I ask is a local guy who sells Amsoil told me that Mobil 1 for V-Twins is not all synthetic, and that Mobil cheapened it and it causes condensation and that milky substance. Then another guy told me about Amsoil buying base stock from Mobil. Has Mobil changed it's formula?
Trying to seperate marketing from fact. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
geeeeeezzzzzz, doesn't oil bring up some sh!t head old wives tale. faaarrrrkinel, WHERE DOES THIS KRAP COME FROM ??? is there like an oil disneyland or fantasy island out there with maxwell smart writting this stuff between greeting card assignments ...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
compressor#v said:
George Douglas, Is it true that Amsoil buys some of their PAO base stock from Mobil Corp.? The reason I ask is a local guy who sells Amsoil told me that Mobil 1 for V-Twins is not all synthetic, and that Mobil cheapened it and it causes condensation and that milky substance. Then another guy told me about Amsoil buying base stock from Mobil. Has Mobil changed it's formula?
Trying to seperate marketing from fact. Thanks.
Just to straighten out some remarks that you heard. It is my understanding that Amsoil purchases most of their PAO's from the Mobil chemical company, which is a division of EXXon/Mobil corporation. Mobil chemical company makes most of the PAO's sold in the US I beleive and Amsoil buys more from them than any other company in the US, even more than Mobil buys from their own company. Now as far as Mobil V-twin oil goes one would have to check with them to find out what their formula is etc. As far as I know they make good oils across the board and like I said in another post condensation buildup has nothing to do with this subject.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top