V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When using a full synthetic motor oil in a Twin Cam what would cause a milky substance like when water gets in dino oil? I thought water and synthetic oil would seperate. Any thoughts.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
are you starting your bike for a few minutes and then turning it off or are you out in this Michigan winter riding your bike. I guess what I'm getting at when are you seeing this after riding or when.

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
Your description indicates water is getting into your engine from an outside source such as high-pressure washing or condensation. Condensation most often happens from being run short periods of time in cold weather. This kind of operation doesn't let the engine get hot enough long enough to evaporate the condensation. Water and any oil will form the milky stuff you're talking about.

T113

·
Premium Member
2,242 Posts
Moisture from any source will turn any base oil milky looking. It doesn't matter if it is synthetic or petroelum based. Ester based synthetics such as Redline have more problems with it than other oils do, as this is one of esters weak links.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks George. My bike is in a shop and it's been there a while (2 months). The owner pushes the bike outside during the day for a while brings it back in, turns the heat off at night and then tried to blame the Mobil 1 for the milky substance he found in the cam chest. Also he runs it for short periods trying to solve a gauge problem. Then told me that 100% synthetic oil will not turn white or milky when mixed with water. I figured he was full of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.