V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have A 05 E-glide Classic Efi And Only 3000 Miles On It. Should I Wait To Put Amsoil In All Three Holes.my Dealer Doesn't Believe In
Syn Oils. I Think He Just Looks Forward To An Early Rebuild.i Use Syn
In Everything That Has A Motor.it Works For Me .any Help Would Be
Appreciated Thanks
 

·
Soar like an Eagle
Joined
·
2,570 Posts
No reason not to go synthetic in terms of motor oil.
 

·
Knower of Stuff
Joined
·
1,978 Posts
If it makes you feel good do it. Key to any oil is change it regularly with a good filter.
Don't listen to your dealer. He wants your money for HD oil.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,735 Posts
Put the syn3 in the crankcase and the tranny. Put "Primary Oil" in the primary. That oil is for COOLING the clutch, NOT for lubrication. The fact is, you really hear very few problems from people who use Syn3 or any other synthetic in all 3 holes. However, the primary is not an assembly that needs lubrication as much as it needs cooling. Think about it.

Semper Fi,
Steve...Pensacola
USMC 1972 - 2003
 

·
Hellbound Train
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
I switched to Syn3 for the extra cooling benefits. As you are in Canada, that reason is probably unnecessary. Syn or Dino, change it reguarly and you will be fine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
classicglide said:
I Have A 05 E-glide Classic Efi And Only 3000 Miles On It. Should I Wait To Put Amsoil In All Three Holes.my Dealer Doesn't Believe In
Syn Oils. I Think He Just Looks Forward To An Early Rebuild.i Use Syn
In Everything That Has A Motor.it Works For Me .any Help Would Be
Appreciated Thanks
Your engine is ready for the good stuff. If you want I can arrange for you to get your Amsoil at dealer prices from our closest Canadian warehouse. For your other road vehicles you need to be using synthetics in them also for easier startups and less wear throughout the winter months. Synthetics shine in extreme cold and hot conditions. This is why they were initially created for Jet engines over 60 years ago.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
389 Posts
classicglide said:
my Dealer Doesn't Believe In
Syn Oils
You should get a quart of Harley Syn3 or Amsoil or Mobil 1 and show it to your dealer. Maybe then he'd believe. :hystria:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
Does it really matter???

I talked to several service technicians and service managers at several dealerships. Many of these people had decades of direct hands on experience. Not one of the service people I talked to had EVER seen an engine failure for lack of lubrication of the oil. I have heard the ancillary stories about the wear scar and all of the other snake oil stories but the oil type just doesn't seem to be a "real" issue. Servicing at the recommended intervals, has anyone experienced any first hand examples of ANY oil failing to protect an engine??

HD techs, please chime in and let's get some good info on this.
 

·
Hellbound Train
Joined
·
5,595 Posts
airman said:
I talked to several service technicians and service managers at several dealerships. Many of these people had decades of direct hands on experience. Not one of the service people I talked to had EVER seen an engine failure for lack of lubrication of the oil. I have heard the ancillary stories about the wear scar and all of the other snake oil stories but the oil type just doesn't seem to be a "real" issue. Servicing at the recommended intervals, has anyone experienced any first hand examples of ANY oil failing to protect an engine??

HD techs, please chime in and let's get some good info on this.
You are correct, proper services are the key to engine survival whatever your choice. As I have said, the only benefit "I" see is added engine cooling and where I live, that is a plus.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
I sell oil for a living and have been a bike rider for over 40 years now and have always maintained that any oil that is rated for it's applications, such as API ratings etc., will give good service within it's design parameters. Now with that said some oils will buy the farm before others depending on it's additive package and sometimes the base oil will play a part and what you subjected the machinery to. It's like a Honda scooter will get you from point A to point B just like the most expensive Harley will if you are willing to keep in mind what you are riding. It all boils down to a persons comfort level and how they feel about overkill protection or added insurance or just getting by. Some decisions might be based on longer service life and more riding time, but a harley motor is pretty bullet proof unless you take it to higher levels of HP. Historically most bikers change their motorcycle oil before it's time. If you drank your wine before it's time you would never experience it's fine taste.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Sure!

I think the Harley engine is perfect for synthetics, unlike many other engines with a shared-clutch sump.

For the shared sump engines, it's important to consider higher particulates as well as increased shear-stresses...so, although synthetics are perfectly fine for shared sump systems, these systems demand a quicker change interval. And, that can get expensive. With these systems, I recommend running Delo 15-40, Rotella 15-40, etc., any of the HDEO's. They only cost 7.50 a GALLON, too. Change it often, as the wet-clutch demands are that much more severe.

However, with the Harley, change intervals are more a function of blow-by, fuel dilution, and short trip syndrome. Without any of those problems, a Harley engine should easily be allowed to run much, much longer on a good synthetic.

I'm just a FNG, though. NOT an expert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,413 Posts
Tend to agree that oil-related failure are few and far between however, I have seen quite a few heat related failures. That alone is enough reason to use a good synthetic. -2$en#e-
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
airman said:
I talked to several service technicians and service managers at several dealerships. Many of these people had decades of direct hands on experience. Not one of the service people I talked to had EVER seen an engine failure for lack of lubrication of the oil. I have heard the ancillary stories about the wear scar and all of the other snake oil stories but the oil type just doesn't seem to be a "real" issue. Servicing at the recommended intervals, has anyone experienced any first hand examples of ANY oil failing to protect an engine??

HD techs, please chime in and let's get some good info on this.
No, I have absolutely not seen an engine problem caused by oil including Harleys, BMW motorcycles, and BMW race cars. I used to race BMW's in SCCA racing and used a variety of synthetic oils. I tore down way too many engines that looked and measured brand new using Castrol and Mobil 1 oils mostly. I drove my M3's and Mazda's unmercifully in road racing and never ever had oil problems. I did and do change out oil often.

Oil, IMO, is a very much overplayed and worn out subject. In my experience, brand just doesn't matter as long as it meets specs....key words, specs and experience. If you don't believe it look on the other HD forum. It's ridiculous.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Roadfrog said:
No, I have absolutely not seen an engine problem caused by oil including Harleys, BMW motorcycles, and BMW race cars. I used to race BMW's in SCCA racing and used a variety of synthetic oils. I tore down way too many engines that looked and measured brand new using Castrol and Mobil 1 oils mostly. I drove my M3's and Mazda's unmercifully in road racing and never ever had oil problems. I did and do change out oil often.

Oil, IMO, is a very much overplayed and worn out subject. In my experience, brand just doesn't matter as long as it meets specs....key words, specs and experience. If you don't believe it look on the other HD forum. It's ridiculous.
Just in case anyone is interested to see how the oil they are using tests out check this link https://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf There has never been a test this extensive done by anyone that I am aware of. Amsoil paid to have these test done and do not come out first in every test. They felt they would just let the chips fall where they fall. Most oil companies do in house testing with the chance of bias, but when a company names names they have to have an outside company certify and conduct the testing so if it is inaccurate they would be sued not Amsoil. Also most oil companies do not have the proper test equipment to conduct many of the test methods. Again I will state that any oil meeting your application and specs will give you adequate service no matter how they test out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,413 Posts
George,

Interesting data in those tests. I'm very disappointed though, that Mobil 1 15W50 and Redline wasn't included. Both of these are widely used in HD's and sure would have been nice to see them in there. Use your influence next time, please. :thumbsup:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,242 Posts
Ed Y said:
George,

Interesting data in those tests. I'm very disappointed though, that Mobil 1 15W50 and Redline wasn't included. Both of these are widely used in HD's and sure would have been nice to see them in there. Use your influence next time, please. :thumbsup:
Ed,
They probably chose not to include the 15w 50 Mobil because it was a different viscosity and they wanted to use exact 20w 50 motorcycle grades. Does Redline have a motorcycle 20w 50 brand? I think they are a very small player in the motorcycle market. The last time Amsoil included Redline in any testing data made public redline was not very happy, but the data was correct. I was working a booth at the professional racing industry trade show and the president of Redline came into my booth and he was very upset that the Redline did not do as well as some of the other oils in the film strength test. He later had the same test run and found out the data was correct.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
My first oil-related post!!!

I use Amsoil 20w-50 in all 3 pour holes...

but I plan on changing to a heavier tranny lube to slow down the leaks.:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,413 Posts
Ka-Ka said:
I use Amsoil 20w-50 in all 3 pour holes...

but I plan on changing to a heavier tranny lube to slow down the leaks.:D
If you've got transmission leaks, it ain't the 20W50 causing it. You've got other problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,413 Posts
george douglas said:
Ed,
They probably chose not to include the 15w 50 Mobil because it was a different viscosity and they wanted to use exact 20w 50 motorcycle grades. Does Redline have a motorcycle 20w 50 brand? I think they are a very small player in the motorcycle market. The last time Amsoil included Redline in any testing data made public redline was not very happy, but the data was correct. I was working a booth at the professional racing industry trade show and the president of Redline came into my booth and he was very upset that the Redline did not do as well as some of the other oils in the film strength test. He later had the same test run and found out the data was correct.
George,

Redline does have a 20W50 and 20W60 oil although they don't label it as motorcycle oil as far as I know. I know a lot of guys that use Redline although I never have. Seems the opinion is that since Redline is ester based, it's better. I really don't know.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top