V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Getting ready to DIY my 5K service, can't decide on going MoCo Syn 3 in all the holes or the Amsoil specifics ... would love to hear a few opinions..... did a search for "syn 3" nothing popped up.

Thanks in advance,

john :confused:

·
Registered
134 Posts
The syn 3 is rebadged citgo. Amsoil is a top of the line product. Use 70w-90 gear oil in the tranny though instead of oil. Red line is top notch too

·
Registered
406 Posts
use a gear oil in the tranny. like red line or spectro. syn 3 is wat too thin to use in the teanny. some '11's have had bearing problems, and many on this site believe/sware
its because they use syn 3 in the tranny.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

LOL, typical Newbie.... didn't see this room, also neglected to say it's an 09 FXD.....

Yeah, I'm familiar with the variants of Amsoil for the Crank, Primary and Trans. Wanted to see what the consensus is in this Forum..

·
Registered
134 Posts
K. For the price of syn 3 you can get a premium oil,not that re-badged citgo crap. However no bikes blew up with any approved oil so you just gotta ask yourself what are you comfortable with. I use a 5w-50 for spring and fall and a straight 50 in the summer. Amsoil,red-line,mobil 1 gold cap and royal purple are all group 4 or better basestocks which means they are a true synthetic. Castrol syntec,mobil 1 tri-syn,penzoil platinum and h-d syn 3 are all group 3 which are a highly refined conventional. So if you choose from the first 4 options you are getting what your paying for. The other 4 aren't real synthetic and the syn 3 is actually a group 2(conventional),group 3 ( refined conventional) and group 4(synthetic) all mixed together. So I shy away from it simply be wise there are better products for the same money.
And because our bikes aren't a shared sump we do not need the expensive v-twin oils with the JASO spec. That spec is for *** bikes. The v-twin oils are good products but not worth the money. If you live in a warm climate any 20w-50 changed at 3000 miles will be fine. Synthetics last longer and resist shearing for longer than conventional. They also dissipate heat better. In the end you have to be comfortable with your choice.
I personally hate anything mobil but tha doesn't mean they don't make good oil. Red-line has a 3 product bike package that I personally really like. The shock proof heavy in the tranny is a must have. It comes with oil for primary and 20-50 for the motor. If you can find that package buy it. Amsoil is also top notch but personally I would use the 75w-90 gear oil in my tranny. They shift better and easier to find neutral.

Honestly though these bikes have been running for 100 years with regular oil so it really comes down to your maintenance schedule. New oil protects better than used oil.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Go with the Amsoil and dont look back.
20W-50 in the motor
75-110 in the trans

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Syn 3 in the primary gives me a grabby clutch engagement, kind of a shudder just this side of a chatter.
Amsoil 20w50 gives me a smooth engagement with no slippage.

YMMV, Caveat Emptor, Unladen European Swallow, etc.,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Havoline 20w-50: great oil, inexpensive, performs well. Change at regular intervals and use that extra cash you save to buy something nice for yourself.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Simple syn 3 is a good oil not a great one will do fine but over priced and manufactured by Hugo your money spend it where you wish.
Next there are many great syn engine oils 20/50 for motorcycles
All are out standing.
Redline
Spectro
M1
Royal Purple
Lucaus
Amsoil
So it it comes down to what kind of company do you want to spend your money with, can you pick it up when you want it.
Modern day engines running any of these quality syn engine oil do not fail because of lubrication .
I use Spector not because it is any better than the others in the list but because they are a honest company devoted to motorcycles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Regarding Citgo: true Hugo and co own the stuff, but Citgo employs THOUSANDS of US citizens at its US refineries. Formerly Cities Service, Citgo is an American brand that has the misfortune of being owned by a nutcake (he's dying by the way)

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Regarding Citgo: true Hugo and co own the stuff, but Citgo employs THOUSANDS of US citizens at its US refineries. Formerly Cities Service, Citgo is an American brand that has the misfortune of being owned by a nutcake (he's dying by the way)
Well it is not an American brand if Hugo owns it and controls it.
Trying to change the name will not change who they are

·
Registered
259 Posts
I just did the 7500 mile service and replaced all of the factory oils in the 3 holes that were Syn3 are all now Redline products. They have a Primary oil, a transmission specific oil and a selection of weights for the motor oil. But as was stated this has been talked to death, and No failures I know of that have been caused by any oil as opposed to another. If there is enough lube, it was good enough no failure ever happened due to oil blend or brand, dino or syn....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Well it is not an American brand if Hugo owns it and controls it.
Trying to change the name will not change who they are
Too bad you have no idea what you are talking about:

"At the same time, the government was nearing completion of a major refinery at Rose Bluff just outside of Lake Charles, Louisiana, that would eventually become the foundation of the company's manufacturing operation. Using designs developed by Cities Service and the Kellogg Co., the plant was dedicated only 18 months after the first concrete was poured. A month before Allied troops landed in France, it was turning out enough critically needed 100-octane aviation gasoline to fuel 1,000 daily bomber sorties from England to Germany. Government funding through the Defense Plant Corporation (DPC) also prompted Cities Service to build plants to manufacture butadiene, used to make synthetic rubber, and toluene, a fuel octane booster and solvent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citgo
Uh, the company has been in business as a US company since BEFORE WWII (around 1900). Citgo/Cities Service played a significant role in the war effort. It is since 1990 it has been owned by Venezula.....way before Chavez....

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Too bad you have no idea what you are talking about:

"At the same time, the government was nearing completion of a major refinery at Rose Bluff just outside of Lake Charles, Louisiana, that would eventually become the foundation of the company's manufacturing operation. Using designs developed by Cities Service and the Kellogg Co., the plant was dedicated only 18 months after the first concrete was poured. A month before Allied troops landed in France, it was turning out enough critically needed 100-octane aviation gasoline to fuel 1,000 daily bomber sorties from England to Germany. Government funding through the Defense Plant Corporation (DPC) also prompted Cities Service to build plants to manufacture butadiene, used to make synthetic rubber, and toluene, a fuel octane booster and solvent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citgo
Uh, the company has been in business as a US company since BEFORE WWII (around 1900). Citgo/Cities Service played a significant role in the war effort. It is since 1990 it has been owned by Venezula.....way before Chavez....
And you have paid no attention.
to what Hugo has been doing sense he took power. Yes I do know what I am talking about and will buy nothing that puts cash in his pocket

·
Registered
134 Posts
It has already been stated that none of these motors have experienced a failure due to type of oil. Ultimately you have to be comfortable in the choice you make and how you spend your money. Syn 3 isn't bad oil but it's not great,and for the price you can get better. Red line makes a 3 pack for our bikes and I can attest to it improving the feel of my clutch and almost eliminating the "clunk" we get going into first gear. I personally will never put motor oil in my tranny or primary when manufacturers make a specific product for it. It's up to you. How often do you want to wrench on your bike.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
It has already been stated that none of these motors have experienced a failure due to type of oil. Ultimately you have to be comfortable in the choice you make and how you spend your money. Syn 3 isn't bad oil but it's not great,and for the price you can get better. Red line makes a 3 pack for our bikes and I can attest to it improving the feel of my clutch and almost eliminating the "clunk" we get going into first gear. I personally will never put motor oil in my tranny or primary when manufacturers make a specific product for it. It's up to you. How often do you want to wrench on your bike.
:confused: :confused:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts