V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend after about 40 minutes of riding we made a quick stop, maybe 5 minutes then when I fired the bike up it began to make a swoosh or dragging sound that seemed to be in time with the engine. I then shut the bike down and trailered it home. Well later that day and running every possible thing that could have caused this through my head I decided to start the bike and let it idle. It ran fine as it did before just this time no swooshing sound for about a minute or so then it came back. I used the screwdriver to the ear trick checking the primary side and the nose cone. I decided to tear down the primary side as I was pretty convinced that maybe a magnet or some other debris lodged in the rotor/stator and the rotor was making contact as it spun. Well not the case it appears. After tearing the primary side down to the stator and finding nothing unusual I guess its time to pull the nose cone and see what kind of damage is in there. Maybe a lifter is dragging on a cam lobe…I did pull the tappet screen to check for any filings and there were none. I also pulled the oil bag cap to see if oil was returning to the tank and that looked o.k. also. :hmmm:

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Chuck

98 Heritage
80” evo
SE heads
EV-27

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Found the problem. Rear cylinder exhaust lifter is dragging on the cam lobe. Wheel appears to be stuck and won't rotate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
This is the usual case when the lifter spits out a rollor bearing. Check the cam real good, good possiblity it marked up the lobe too.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The lobe does have some marking but nothing i can feel or even catch with a dental probe. Its a brand new ev-27 maybe 1000 miles on it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
1000 miles and the lifter roller froze? New lifters? What brand? I've got just over 5k with same cam and new HD lifters. Just wondering.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1000 miles on the cam. I didn't replace the lifters but should have. They have 30+k on them......Lesson learned.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just read this after repairing the same thing. But mine made a tapping noise at first. I was in the middle of a long weekend ride when mine started. It almost sounded like an exhaust leak at first. Well, by the time I got it home(yes I rode it out,about 350 miles home) it sounded like pretty nasty. Like a push rod way out of adjustment. Tore off the nose cone to find that the roller bearings went out in the rear exhaust lifter as well. And the front exhaust was not far behind. The cam didn't really suffer much, but I decided to replace it anyway. The crappy part is that it was a custom grind cam made by Andrews specifically for the shop that built the motor( the previous owner had it built)and they no longer make them. So Andrews recommended I go with an EV59. I just finished putting her back together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts