V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious about the paint...just repainting vivid black or some new detail?

What actually happened to your heads? - was the packaging crushed? ripped open? not enough packing material cushioning the heads?

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
xkvator said:
just curious about the paint...just repainting vivid black or some new detail?

What actually happened to your heads? - was the packaging crushed? ripped open? not enough packing material cushioning the heads?
New detail if I can find the time to do the prep...ever seen the scalloped style of paint, imagine this withe the white area in a metal flake medium to dark pewter and the red in metal flake silver...pinstripe the line dividing them in black...

The heads were packed according to the instructions dictated by UPS to conform to the insurance coverage (now I gotta get it out of them) but apparently not packed well enough...HDWRENCH said there was a big hole in the side of the box and the contents shaken loose 'cause all the peanuts fell out and both the inner boxes and outer boxes were penetrated...broke a few fins and bent the valves!!! Musta sent 'em UNDER the train!

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
New detail if I can find the time to do the prep...ever seen the scalloped style of paint, imagine this withe the white area in a metal flake medium to dark pewter and the red in metal flake silver...pinstripe the line dividing them in black...
I like the style...should make your bike even faster...:thumbsup:

The heads were packed according to the instructions dictated by UPS to conform to the insurance coverage (now I gotta get it out of them) but apparently not packed well enough...HDWRENCH said there was a big hole in the side of the box and the contents shaken loose 'cause all the peanuts fell out and both the inner boxes and outer boxes were penetrated...broke a few fins and bent the valves!!! Musta sent 'em UNDER the train!
Did you have FRAGILE written on the package? If so, that's like painting a target on it.
I've had some stuff ripped open from UPS...our area driver told me that they get ripped on the conveyor systems all the time.

I bought an 8" windshield from Clearview...the box was oversized and was stuffed full of long strips of foam rubber...remnants from an upholstery shop, I think.

·
Premium Member
459 Posts
When I shipped my heads I went to Home Depot and bought a cheap plywood door skin and built a box that screwed together. Packed the heads individually in cardboard boxes surrounded by packing foam. Didn't have any problems. The whole thing didn't weight much more than cardboard packing. Peace of mind was well worth the extra effort. It was $27 to ship from FL to AZ.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
xkvator said:
Did you have FRAGILE written on the package? If so, that's like painting a target on it.
I've had some stuff ripped open from UPS...our area driver told me that they get ripped on the conveyor systems all the time.

I bought an 8" windshield from Clearview...the box was oversized and was stuffed full of long strips of foam rubber...remnants from an upholstery shop, I think.
Fragile is a target...mine was worse...I insured it!!! Thanks, it is a nice style but I'm hesitant about leaving my beloved black...

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
marvin4239 said:
When I shipped my heads I went to Home Depot and bought a cheap plywood door skin and built a box that screwed together. Packed the heads individually in cardboard boxes surrounded by packing foam. Didn't have any problems. The whole thing didn't weight much more than cardboard packing. Peace of mind was well worth the extra effort. It was $27 to ship from FL to AZ.
Yep...shoulda borrowed a welder and sent 'em armored!!!

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
swmnkdinthervr said:
...but I'm hesitant about leaving my beloved black...
keep the front black(where the red is) & pewter or med. grey in the area that's white on your pic...

or black w/ some subtle pinstripe flames...

Scarecrow www.scarecrowart.com comes to a couple local dealers, and i'm thinking about letting him do some pinstripe flames in the silver areas on mine

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
xkvator said:
keep the front black(where the red is) & pewter or med. grey in the area that's white on your pic...

or black w/ some subtle pinstripe flames...

Scarecrow www.scarecrowart.com comes to a couple local dealers, and i'm thinking about letting him do some pinstripe flames in the silver areas on mine
I've got a local painter that can do the project...it's me with the cold feet but I wanna do this while the engine is apart...or I could always go with a faster black!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts