V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about converting my 82 flh to forward controls and would like to hear your experiences with different brands, quality & fitment probs, and unexpected costs.

Also, if I lower the bike an inch or so, what do I specifically need to look for in a set of controls, if anything.

·
Administrator
11,285 Posts
Everyone has their own preference and mine would be the floorboards as opposed to forward controls. Being an FLH and the typical styling of the bike IMO forward controls just don't look right. Also knowing the original style floorboards left a lot to be desired, I used a set of take off heritage floorboards off a later model softail. They are almost a bolt on and look better IMO. The newer master cylinder is an advantage also. If you consider this route, PM me and I can give you some specifics on what to look for.

For your original question, if you do go to forward controls, stay away from the cheap overseas controls, you will not be happy with them. PM and Jay Brake both make good products. I think GMA may make some now also. I would also suggest getting one that comes with it's own master cylinder and not one that uses the stock master with some messed up linkage setup. They usually are not as well designed (cosmetically speaking).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts