V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
00 Road King, 00 Ultra, 98 Fatboy, 08 Goldwing
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to rebuild the swingarm on my 2000 Ultra. Does anyone have experience with any of the "rebuild kits" that are offered my different manufacturers? I am in inclined to go back with stock, unless someone has experience with upgrades that are positive. Any ideas or suggestions based on experience is appreciated. Thanks

·
The great camel toe escap
1,133 Posts
I got the upgraded kit.. no different to install then stock. If 8nhad to do again id still do it.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the upgraded kit.. no different to install then stock. If 8nhad to do again id still do it.

Upgraded kit made by who?

·
1,133 Posts
Dosnt really matter their all the same

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dosnt really matter their all the same

I must be missing something or not understanding. I see many different upgrade kits and different rebuild kits.

·
1,133 Posts
Well you can upgrade the swingarm itself. Or upgrade from the rubber bushing to the spherical bearing type. One pic is the stock one and the other is the upgraded. Upgrading the swingarm itself needs the wheel arm pivot shift brake and acle from the 05 up. The trans has to be drilled for new pivot. Which unless you can find the right bit can be a pita.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
The issue with those swingarms isn't as much with the bearings and isolators, it's about the axle slot. Improper torque or misaligned axle will wallow out the spacer seat area on the swingarm flat, usually on the belt side. I've seen aftermarket flanged spacers that help the problem.

When that happens most guys install factory swing arms from newer bikes, I can't remember exactly what years work, that require bushing kits to mate the arm with the different size frame. However you will still need to address different axle size wheel and brake caliper.

Do a search of this site, there are some very informative threads on the subject.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you can upgrade the swingarm itself. Or upgrade from the rubber bushing to the spherical bearing type. One pic is the stock one and the other is the upgraded. Upgrading the swingarm itself needs the wheel arm pivot shift brake and acle from the 05 up. The trans has to be drilled for new pivot. Which unless you can find the right bit can be a pita.

Thanks for the infomation.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The issue with those swingarms isn't as much with the bearings and isolators, it's about the axle slot. Improper torque or misaligned axle will wallow out the spacer seat area on the swingarm flat, usually on the belt side. I've seen aftermarket flanged spacers that help the problem.

When that happens most guys install factory swing arms from newer bikes, I can't remember exactly what years work, that require bushing kits to mate the arm with the different size frame. However you will still need to address different axle size wheel and brake caliper.

Do a search of this site, there are some very informative threads on the subject.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully the sloppy feel is just due to normal wear and I will not have to tackle swingarm replacement.

·
Registered
273 Posts
1fast2litre is flat wrong, you DO NOT need to modify your trans, the CCE kit is a bolt on. I've done the CCE kit with a late swingarm on an 89, it was an awesome upgrade. To do that you need the whole rear section, swingarm, caliper, and wheel from the late model. On my 87 I've done the Vtwin nylatron bushings to replace the garbage cleve blocks. I haven't rode her yet, so I can't say how they work. I did those because of price, I may at a later date do the late model swingarm if I don';t like the results of these bushings. The biggest problem with the older swingarms, is they are not as strong or rigged as the 02 and later ones they tend to flex more, but then so does the frame on the older bikes so it may be a wash. The main cause of swingarm failure on the earlier ones was when the idiots put lowering blocks on them it tends to make them crack above the axle slot cause they weren't designed for the stress of the shock hangin off the back of the swingarm

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1fast2litre is flat wrong, you DO NOT need to modify your trans, the CCE kit is a bolt on. I've done the CCE kit with a late swingarm on an 89, it was an awesome upgrade. To do that you need the whole rear section, swingarm, caliper, and wheel from the late model. On my 87 I've done the Vtwin nylatron bushings to replace the garbage cleve blocks. I haven't rode her yet, so I can't say how they work. I did those because of price, I may at a later date do the late model swingarm if I don';t like the results of these bushings. The biggest problem with the older swingarms, is they are not as strong or rigged as the 02 and later ones they tend to flex more, but then so does the frame on the older bikes so it may be a wash. The main cause of swingarm failure on the earlier ones was when the idiots put lowering blocks on them it tends to make them crack above the axle slot cause they weren't designed for the stress of the shock hangin off the back of the swingarm
I've seen a couple of cracked swingarms. One from lowering blocks and another from pulling a heavy trailer.

I thought about changing the swingarm, but I will have to get two. I have two 2000 baggers and extra set of wheels that I keep fresh rubber on so I can replace quickly. As I understand it, I would have to also get two axles, and change the bearings in the rear wheels. I'm am confused on the problem with the caliper mount. It seems pretty straight forward other that the brakes, but not sure it would be worth expense and time.

·
1,133 Posts
I forgot about that kit. Most people upgrading in the past had to drill the trans.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
I've seen a couple of cracked swingarms. One from lowering blocks and another from pulling a heavy trailer.

I thought about changing the swingarm, but I will have to get two. I have two 2000 baggers and extra set of wheels that I keep fresh rubber on so I can replace quickly. As I understand it, I would have to also get two axles, and change the bearings in the rear wheels. I'm am confused on the problem with the caliper mount. It seems pretty straight forward other that the brakes, but not sure it would be worth expense and time.
Larger axle won’t fit thru caliper. Need to replace with one that matches axle size or ream out the hole. Plenty of take offs around.
kowboy is right, newer style swing arm is much improved. Stronger, more rigid and axle end/adjuster is not probe to crushing.

Reactions: jbxmn

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well; crap. I finally got the swingarm disassembled after ordering the proper tools and then after I got it all cleaned up this is what I found.

Am I screwed? Or is there a fix?

·
Registered
273 Posts
someone SERIOUSLY over tightened that axle. It can be welded, Or pony up the cash to convert to late model swingarm.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts