V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The throw-out bearing lost two rollers. The mainshaft trap door bearing is shot too, on a 1986 FLHT 5 speed.

Want to take tranny out of frame to bench re-build, but can't get the swing arm pivot bolt to drive out from the right side of bike. It is the one piece early style shaft with nuts on each side, but wont budge. Can these seize into the cleveblocks?

The dealer had it off a few years ago while replacing the belt. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If I remember right the nut on the right side of the bike has a 11/16" head and the one on the left side has a 3/4" head, and I have always driven them out from left to right. Could have the years mixed up, but that's the way I remember it.

Sometimes you have to tap on them quite hard with a brass punch and a big hammer. I suppose they could seize big time if they were not assembled with antiseize.

If you have shop tools a air hammer will get them out, but you have to be careful not to bugger up the threads on the shaft.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, and yes, Hippo. Both of the swing arm pivot brackets (bracket doubles as the passenger footboard mount) have been removed.

Was useing a long drift/punch that fit into center dimple of the pivot bolt and 3# persuader. Will try a brass hammer directly on the end of the pivot bolt. Have tried tapping it out from both sides, mostly right to left, but will concentrate more on left to right.
Have air, but no air hammer. May check around and borrow/buy one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hippo, the swing arm pivot bolt finally came out with repeated persuasion. The left cleveblok bushing came with it. It was seized up on the pivot shaft. Seems that now these bushings will need to be replaced too.

In replacing this one piece early '86 shaft with licking nuts on each side, would you recommend use of the later model three piece shaft, or?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hippo, the swing
arm pivot bolt
finally came out
with repeated
persuasion. The
left cleveblok
bushing came with
it. It was seized
up on the pivot
shaft. Seems that
now these
bushings will
need to be
replaced too.

In replacing this
one piece early
'86 shaft with
licking nuts on
each side, would
you recommend use
of the later
model three piece
shaft, or?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Doesn't really matter, just use all new parts, shaft, cleveblocks and tolerance sleeves. Don't forget to use plenty of anti seize on the shaft so you don't have to go thru it again down the road. The parts are not expensive.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You can make the tool to install the cleveblocks with a piece of threaded rod form the hardware store and a couple of nuts and fenderwashers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts