V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I've been cheating here by writing a few threads without introducing myself so I better take it from the beginning.

I had my first bike when I was 16, but only for a year. Then there was school, got married, got kids, bought a house ... you know the story.

Since then I've been renting bikes occasionally on holidays. Then, three years ago, at the age of 46, I finally made up my mind and ordered my first bike, a Honda Shadow 1100 cc. Brand new, black, 64 hp, ran just fine like most japs bikes do. But something was missing - the fealing of the real thing. Anyway, I enjoyed my bike and drove almost 9000 miles in three years. But all the time I couldn't stop thinking how it would be to ride a Harley.

Then, this summer, I met an old friend and his wife. She's been a biker the last 15 years. Harleys all the time. Some years ago they got their first kid. She sold the bike, and two years later they had another kid. A couple of years later she thought it was time to start riding again, and through a friend that works with import of Suzuki bikes in Sweden she got a very attractive offer of a brand new Suzuki (I don't know what model), and bought it. Same experience as myself, nice bike but something was missing. But she had experience from riding Harleys and could tell the difference, got rid of the Suzuki, and bought a Heritege Springer last summer. Back in business!

When she told me this story in July this summer I sort of made up my mind too. And finally, in August, when I took a test drive of several HD models I was stuck. Completely! So a month ago I traded in my Honda and ordered a black 03 Fat Boy. They had one for delivery only two weeks later. Hmm, tempting, but the season here is almost over so I said I want to pick mine up in the spring time. Will propably get it late feb or early march. In the meantime I have no payments. Don't know how I will survive til then, but spending time at this forum helps.

Finally, when I bought my Honda my wife was not really happy, but kind of accepted it. This time, however, even though she would never admit it, she seems to look forward to when we can pick it up.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. I was in Stockholm in Early August late July. Going back in Jan or Feb. I'll be staying on the 8th floor ( Towers ) of The Stockholm Sheraton. ( Happy Hour is at 6:30 sharp ! )

Stay in touch and post often!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JimmyK said:
Welcome to the Forum. I was in Stockholm in Early August late July. Going back in Jan or Feb. I'll be staying on the 8th floor ( Towers ) of The Stockholm Sheraton. ( Happy Hour is at 6:30 sharp ! )

Stay in touch and post often!
What brings you to Stockholm?

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Welcome aboard Ulf.
I am very new to the forum as well and as I am sure you have noticed, it is an exceptional place to spend some time and exchange ideas and experiences with fellow riders.
Glad to hear that you have made the leap to the "American Iron" Horse.
I can assue you that you will not be disappointed and after just a few miles you too wil "understand" that which cannot be properly explained in words.
Once again,,, Congrats!!!! and may good times and GREAT fortune be with you!!!!!
Party On!!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the welcome. Again, I'm so glad I found this forum. It will be a superb help, both now while I'm waiting and later on when all sorts of questions needs an answer.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi and welcome Ulf,

I am not sure I could wait that long, but I understand about the shorten riding season. But man that would be nice to at least be able to look at it over the winter. I too think you'll love the Fat Boy, fantastic bike. The one at your local Dealer was it a 100th anniversary model?

Again welcome to the board,

Dave

·
Still Serving...U.S. Army
160 Posts
Welcome ULF. Yes the forum helps until the bike arrives, but I can't wait. 03 RKC ordered.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
VA V-Rod said:
Hi and welcome Ulf,

I am not sure I could wait that long, but I understand about the shorten riding season. But man that would be nice to at least be able to look at it over the winter. I too think you'll love the Fat Boy, fantastic bike. The one at your local Dealer was it a 100th anniversary model?

Again welcome to the board,

Dave
Hi Dave!

Yes, it's a black 100th anniversary model, and it's not even here yet. The dealer says it wil be part of a shipment that leaves Milwaukee in January, arrives in Sweden in February. A few weeks later they will give me a call when it's ready - with new filter, modified carburator and V&H Big Shots long - to be picked up. But today this moment seems very, very distant.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts