V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How difficult is this to do? Are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? I bought a pair of Powder coated black levers to replace the brushed silver ones on my FLHTI. I have the service manual, but I didn't really find anything about removal/replacement of the hand levers in there.

Thanks in advance! :D

H

·
0 Posts
The clutch you just induce slack in the clutch cable, then remove the snap ring on the underside of the bracket. THis will allow you to pull the pivot pin out, then you can remove the lever, and replace it with your new one.

On the brake side, it is even more stright forward, just take care to properrly seat the lever in the groove that actuates the brake, and be careful not to damage to brake switch.

Harris

·
Registered
322 Posts
read the book.read the book.
as long as you dont release any tension on the switch housing yer golden(if ya do buy the book) ride hard cb

·
Registered
509 Posts
I did it on my RK and if I can do it anyone can. I used a small pick set that I bought at Wal-mart and just sort of twisted the snap ring off/on. It is very easy to do.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
While you have the clutch side apart, clean the inside of the bracket, lube all pivot points and the clutch cable. I use a "tie wrap" looped around the bracket to retain the pin {instead of the snap ring}, quick & simple. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Is there some reason to not buy snap ring pliers? Sears has them with interchangeable tips that'll work on the lever snap rings, the big-ass snap ring in the clutch ball and ramp on the right side of big twins, and about everything in between, for about $8. You'll use them a lot. Get the right tool; it's easier and does less damage.

Cryptoboy, that warning about the brake light switch is for real; it's a little plastic *** that'll snap off real easy if you're not careful. Remove the snap ring, push the pin up and out, the gently pull the lever out and forward while pivoting it back. The switch is activated from the back side of the sticky-out bit on the lever; you want to keep that part away from the switch or you'll be looking at a new one. If you feel any resistance at all, don't force it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
SamC, No I can't think of any reason not to buy the snap ring pliers. I asked a buddy of mine (whose Dad had a small indy shop) how they did it and how easy to do. He told me to use the picks (which I had anyway) they worked fine, but I didn't realize they were that inexpensive at Sears. Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts