V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Ultra that needs rebuilt. I was thinking of a used, later model 88 Twin Cam for a complete swap. What is the procedure for this? Any modifications to frame? Electrical? Primary drive? Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
If you check you will find the TC is a taller engine and will not fit your without an adapter.
You can have that EVO built to out run a TC88 they are a great engine to build even today.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Adapts a Twin Cam 'A' Motor to EVO & Custom Frames By using this adapter plate , a T/C-88 motor can be used in any frame designed for a EVO motor. EVO top motor mounts, transmissions, primary drives, & exhaust systems can be used

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think a TC88 is a little 'taller' than a stock EVO. I had a rigid frame built for an EVO. I put a TC88 A style engine in it. I used the rear mount talked about here. I also had to modify the seat post (move it toward rear of bike), and shave the left half of the front valve cover to get the motor in the chassis. And then, the TC88 would 'just' slip in if you jockeyed it around. (No way to take the valve cover off with the engine in the bike--the backbone interfered. Pain in the arse). Don't know about your stock EVO frame, the TC might slip right in with no clearance issues. But I'd check on it before I got too far along. Good luck. Sounds like a nice upgrade.

Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts