V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered an ‘03 Ultra and have the dealer looking into swapping out the 88 for the 103 from the SE Road King. I can get a credit for the 88 toward the 103. Since the motor was built by the factory this would be covered under the original warranty. I’ve heard the 103" has the potential to shake the living daylights out of the bike. Does any one have experience with a 103 motor in an Electra Glide? How does it ride out on the highway? Any thing else I should look out for?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I bet it would shake pretty good , I've got a 95 in my Ultra and it shakes a lot more than the 80" standard I used to have. But not as much as my 84 shovel did. The 95" has a lot of power bet, yours will flat out fly.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There wouldn't be a major difference. We have some 116's running around and they don't shake that much more.

Keep in mind the 103" in the SE RK has a lot of proprietary parts and according to HD only has about 100 lb/ft of torque and their numbers are at the crank. The stock 88 incher is rated at 86 ft/lb. Extremely small bang for the buck.

We can make 105 lb/ft at the rear wheel all day long with a relatively mild 95"

·
Registered
695 Posts
HIPPO,
Is wrenching your hobby or is it what you do? Reason I ask: I get a lot out of what you post and how you help out others with their questions. Most of the mechanics I know (cars & trucks) don't have much free time. Anyway I just wanted to say Thanks for your time, your posts help me out a lot (and others too I'm sure.)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Hippo, I agree with the low bang for the $$. Can you provide some insight to these mods to get 105 lb/ft out of a big bore? My big concern is losing the warranty coverage on this new bike even with 'HD' mods. I was told any mods from the book of part with the crossed flags will have the factory frown hard on the warranty.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
it's what I do, but not in a production sense. Obviously it is my hobby at the same time.
We primarily do machine work for dealers and most other shops in town, and quite a bit of contract R&D and flow bench work.
We build HD engines and do a lot of EFI work, recently due to demand we started to do service work primarily on the bikes we build and friends of friends that come recommended.
We don't do chrome dodats or any sort of cosmetics, and on the japanese bikes we strictly do machine work other then the odd hillclimb bike. That's Charlie's hobby.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
More then one way to look at warranty.
My personal view is that a 1 year warranty you have to argue, beg and wait in line for is non existent. I'm not willing to invest the time it takes to di(k around with these people despite the fact that locally my bike would likely go to the front of the line.
I can see the point, in particular with extremely complicated motorcycles full of electronics that can be very expensive to repair like the late Ultra's and touring bikes in general.
I believe you can never walk the middle line in life for long, you either commit to one side or the other.
You want to play, you got to pay the price and take the risk.

Any of the moderate compression kits with big bore, heads, cams and tuning will get you there. There is also nothing wrong with riding a stock bike. The rider is the biggest factor, the two or three guys I have to work at real hard to keep up with all ride near stock bikes, and I'm sure there are plenty more out there.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts