V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan on buying a Sundowner seat for my 04' fxdi. I have rigid mount sideplates with a short sissy bar and back rest. What do I need to take off in order to get the stock seat off ? And also in what order ? Thanks
 

·
XLIII
Joined
·
10,078 Posts
CosmicC said:
I plan on buying a Sundowner seat for my 04' fxdi. I have rigid mount sideplates with a short sissy bar and back rest. What do I need to take off in order to get the stock seat off ? And also in what order ? Thanks
And be careful that this one doesn't get waterlogged.
I'd hate to see your new seat get swamped as well!
 

·
Life is what you make it
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
I think you will need to remove the short sissy bar. Then there is one screw at the very back of your seat that attaches the seat to the fender. Remove that screw. Next carefully pull the seat back being sure not to scratch the paint. The seat is has like a tongue in the front that just slips under a small bridge. That's it for seat swamping :Banadance .
 

·
Life is what you make it
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
I want to say be sure to wear your boots but I feel for the guy since I cant spell for Shlitz myself. Hopefully he has a good sense of humor:hystria:
 

·
Life is what you make it
Joined
·
3,568 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
I think you will need to remove the short sissy bar. Then there is one screw at the very back of your seat that attaches the seat to the fender. Remove that screw. Next carefully pull the seat back being sure not to scratch the paint. The seat is has like a tongue in the front that just slips under a small bridge. That's it for seat swamping :Banadance .
there is one screw at the very back of your seat that attaches the seat to the fender. Remove that screw. Next carefully pull the seat back being sure not to scratch the paint. The seat is has like a tongue in the front that just slips under a small bridge.
On my 2001 FXDL with the short siisy bar and backrest I needed to remove the backrest in order to lift the seat off the bike. Just remove that screw and pull back. Good Luck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,657 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
On my 2001 FXDL with the short siisy bar and backrest I needed to remove the backrest in order to lift the seat off the bike. Just remove that screw and pull back. Good Luck
Same here, I can do it without removing the backrest but I have to really put a bend in the seat to do it, so I just remove the backrest.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got the old seat off no problem, but couldn't get the new one on. I think they sold me the wrong seat. There was no way the front piece was going to fit. It looked smaller than the stock piece. I now have to weight until they get another one in so I can compair the two. I may have got the seat that fits the 96'-03' Dyna's. Anyone know if the front of that seat is thiner than my bike ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
591 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
there is one screw at the very back of your seat that attaches the seat to the fender. Remove that screw. Next carefully pull the seat back being sure not to scratch the paint. The seat is has like a tongue in the front that just slips under a small bridge.
On my 2001 FXDL with the short siisy bar and backrest I needed to remove the backrest in order to lift the seat off the bike. Just remove that screw and pull back. Good Luck

Listen to Hotshot,

I took the seat off my bike the first week I owned it. The passenger strap forces you to twist the seat sideways to slip it out of the loop. I put a nice scratch into the rear fender paint before I ever made my first payment on the damn bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was right they did sell me the wrong seat. I picked up the right one this morining and put it on. I was suprised how easy it was to get on even with the sissy bar in place. The seat felt a little strange while standing still, but felt good going down the road.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top