V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on buying a Sundowner seat for my 04' fxdi. I have rigid mount sideplates with a short sissy bar and back rest. What do I need to take off in order to get the stock seat off ? And also in what order ? Thanks

·
Banned
154 Posts
Just take the seat off. The other stuff shouldn't be in the way.

Unscrew the screw at the back of the seat. Push the seat forward, then lift up, pull it back and over your sissy bar.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
CosmicC said:
I plan on buying a Sundowner seat for my 04' fxdi. I have rigid mount sideplates with a short sissy bar and back rest. What do I need to take off in order to get the stock seat off ? And also in what order ? Thanks
And be careful that this one doesn't get waterlogged.
I'd hate to see your new seat get swamped as well!

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I think you will need to remove the short sissy bar. Then there is one screw at the very back of your seat that attaches the seat to the fender. Remove that screw. Next carefully pull the seat back being sure not to scratch the paint. The seat is has like a tongue in the front that just slips under a small bridge. That's it for seat swamping :Banadance .

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
I want to say be sure to wear your boots but I feel for the guy since I cant spell for Shlitz myself. Hopefully he has a good sense of humor:hystria:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:duh?: I must of picked that word up from one of my old nick names "Gator" :265: :flames: :roflback: :thanks:

·
Registered
454 Posts
nothing

I've taken the Sundowner seat off of my 05 with rigid sideplates and low backrest several times with no interference. Simple operations.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OrangeTJ said:
I've taken the Sundowner seat off of my 05 with rigid sideplates and low backrest several times with no interference. Simple operations.
What all needs to come off ?

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
I think you will need to remove the short sissy bar. Then there is one screw at the very back of your seat that attaches the seat to the fender. Remove that screw. Next carefully pull the seat back being sure not to scratch the paint. The seat is has like a tongue in the front that just slips under a small bridge. That's it for seat swamping :Banadance .
there is one screw at the very back of your seat that attaches the seat to the fender. Remove that screw. Next carefully pull the seat back being sure not to scratch the paint. The seat is has like a tongue in the front that just slips under a small bridge.
On my 2001 FXDL with the short siisy bar and backrest I needed to remove the backrest in order to lift the seat off the bike. Just remove that screw and pull back. Good Luck

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
On my 2001 FXDL with the short siisy bar and backrest I needed to remove the backrest in order to lift the seat off the bike. Just remove that screw and pull back. Good Luck
Same here, I can do it without removing the backrest but I have to really put a bend in the seat to do it, so I just remove the backrest.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the old seat off no problem, but couldn't get the new one on. I think they sold me the wrong seat. There was no way the front piece was going to fit. It looked smaller than the stock piece. I now have to weight until they get another one in so I can compair the two. I may have got the seat that fits the 96'-03' Dyna's. Anyone know if the front of that seat is thiner than my bike ?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
there is one screw at the very back of your seat that attaches the seat to the fender. Remove that screw. Next carefully pull the seat back being sure not to scratch the paint. The seat is has like a tongue in the front that just slips under a small bridge.

Listen to Hotshot,

I took the seat off my bike the first week I owned it. The passenger strap forces you to twist the seat sideways to slip it out of the loop. I put a nice scratch into the rear fender paint before I ever made my first payment on the damn bike.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was right they did sell me the wrong seat. I picked up the right one this morining and put it on. I was suprised how easy it was to get on even with the sissy bar in place. The seat felt a little strange while standing still, but felt good going down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts