V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 02 FXDL and was wondering if anyone has replaced the rear shocks or revalved the damper rods and replaced the forksprings for better riding and handling?
I have rode and raced dirtbikes for over 35 years and the first thing was to revalve the suspension and change the spring rates for your weight and riding style. I have not seen alot of options for suspention tuning. The bike rides OK but could be alot better. I don't think changing the fork oil to a heaver oil will help because of the amount of sag in the stock forks. Progressive Suspension offers new fork springs but no damping mods and they offer replacment rear shocks.
Has anyone replaced the suspension components and what were the results?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Check THIS site. They have two programs where you can calculate the valving for your cartridge emulators and your spring rates. Just like on a dirt or sport bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Jim,

I have a 96 FXDL and replaced the rear shocks with Progressive 412's and the front fork lowering kit also (because I thought it would look cool). I found the ride to be REAL stiff and I constantly dragged pegs when cornering. After about 2 months I took it all off and put the stock shocks and fork springs back in. The ride was back to normal and smooth. I now have almost brand new 412 chrome shocks and fork springs just "hanging around". It might work for you though!

my .02

Rich K.:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts