V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
This thread is not meant for the grizzled vets in the group,just something to think about for the newer guys.

I realize some of you have your rides serviced at the dealers you got it at, at least until the warranty runs out.Probably pick up an ocassional t-shirt,too.Hell,while I'm here I'll get some S100 cleaner,maybe checkout some new sunglasses.

Instead,find & get to know a local independant shop you've heard good things about.Introduce yourself,ask questions.Don't just patronize the "genuine" dealers, spend some of your hard earned cash at the independant shop.

Some day, I guarantee it, You'll be glad you did!!
guido

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
I agree with you to a point. Most are good guys and I'll support them in the sense that I give them the opportunity to match prices on a significant volume of parts that I would otherwise get over the internet, on the premise that we want to keep them in business and it is better for them to make a little money then none.

But you really have to use good judgement, when it comes to the new EFI bikes more often then not they don't have the proper information or equipment. The really good ones will readily tell you so, but some will try to help you anyway and no one will be happy.

In an ideal world we would combine the attitude of most indy's with the technical info and equipment available to dealers, but there are forces at work to make sure this does not happen.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hippo, you've made some very good points that can't be argued.

Most indies do not have the equipment for todays EFI bikes.Hopefully,this will change.

Most of my experience with Harley dealers has been negative,from inflated prices to poor workmanship.Of course, they're not all the same.

I agree there are certain things an indie is just not set up for,but some of them deserve & need our support.If at all possible,I try to spread around my "bike money".The internet is usually a great place to start,but if I can get something locally at near the same price without the MoCo's slick packaging, I'll do it.

It's like that mysterious noise coming from the primary area that the dealers can't figure out or tell ya "they all do that".Ever try to get a shovel head worked on at a dealer? I personally haven't but have known someone who has.

In 10 or 15 years will the evo be welcomed with open arms at the dealers?

My original post was aimed at newer riders who go to the dealers religiously.Just something for em to think about.
guido

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
From what I've heard most dealers won't even do work on Evos. But I wouldn't know first hand since I never visit dealers.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Just because the post was aimed at newer riders, is why I made the distinction.

There are all sorts of ways to get things done, and arguing about it with dealers just wastes time.
We have found a long time ago that the only way we all get what we want is to come to some sort of arrangement.
We have a group of people with different areas of expertise that works together to get our stuff done, and collectively the dealers can only hope to match it.
The dealers try very hard to keep information, but they also need support. They usually have no paint facilities or expertise in machining for example, and over time they have lost most of the guys that know the older bikes, so it really comes down to good old horsetrading.
We need the dealers for information, but they sure as hell can't treat us like a guy walking in off the street either.

·
Registered
56 Posts
guido.....

As ypu probably figured out, I am one of "the new guys" and i agree with you for a couple of reasons. I am not under any warranty so that is not a concern for me. I like to deal with what is usually the owner of the the "local" shop. I liken it to getting a recorded message on the phone or actually speaking to a "human". The answer in the end maybe the same, but to me, part of the service is at least "feeling" that my bike is being well looked after. From what i have been hearing from others and reading on this site and others like it, does not fill me with confidence in the dealers work or treatment of their customers. Lucky for me, there are several local shops where i am that specialize in H-D repair.

·
Registered
8,786 Posts
Way back in late November when my bike was delivered from Florida, I needed to have a leak (no ****, a leak) checked out. I was told of a guy nearby who was talented and reasonable. I went to him and told him of my recent purchase and my newness to Harleys. He treated me like I was his best customer. Dropped what he was doing to help me. Fixed my problem and gave me some helpful hints about checking this and that instead of bringing it in a shop. Very honest too! I've never experienced this type of customer service before. He definetly gets my repeat business. Independent business man trained at a Harley dealership.:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts