V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
not counting the fact that I have already lost 1 of the 4 exhaust flange nuts, I think they sent me the wrong mounting bracket. The bracket mounts to the rear end of the transmission case but only 2 out of 3 holes line up. And if they did line up, they should have included a spacer for the top screw as the one next to it has a bigger head so there is not a flush fit with the bracket and a longer screw.
Also, no retaining ring and exhaust flange came with the head pipes. They say to use the stock ones from when you pull off the stock pipes but I had a D&D Fatcat which did not have retaining rings and there is no way the flanges are coming off. They must have been put on before the 2 pipes were welded to the collector. And even if I get some flanges I don't know how to get them on the Supermeg head pipes as they also are welded to the collector. This is what I get for trying to do something myself.

·
Super Moderator
3,232 Posts
I can't help you with the bracket,but as far as the flanges go you just need 2 stock HD flanges and two retaining rings.Some like to double up on the retaining rings.Install the flanges then the rings.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Dayum Fred, go easy on yourself.

Match up the nuts at a hardware store, pick up the retainer rings from the dealership and call them on the bracket. You'll have it together in no time!

·
?????
3,531 Posts
What others have said, call Supertrapp about the bracket and get some stock flanges. I'm running the Supermeg on my 06 Ultra with no issues.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Supertrapp andthey were very nice to me. It turns out that in the rear of the tranny case there is a guide hole that a dowel goes thru in the assembly process that is then left open in the final product. When I had the tranny rebuilt during the summer, broken mainshaft, the wrench put a bolt and nut through that hole thinking it was necessary for the case. When I took that bolt out the bracket fit just fine. In a packaging mistake Suprtrapp did send 2 x 1.25 inch bolts instead of 1.25 and a 1.5 inch. I had to go all the way 2 blocks to my Ace Hardware to get the 1.5 incher. It is black and does not feel as strong as the chrome one but it fits. Then a trip across town to the HD shop for $31 worth of exhaust fllanges and retainer rings and, what the hell, 4 shiny new exhaust manifold nuts.
Thank you all for your support.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Glad to hear you got it together Fred, your first call had us stumped, that same bracket has been in use for MANY years and you were the first person to say it wasn't fitting!

Merry Christmas, ride safe!
SuperTrapp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts