V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some help guys.

I have a 2009 FXSTC with almost 5000 kms on the clock and im about to increase it from 96 to 106ci using a S & S big bore kit.
Im planning on using S & S 510 gear cams aswell.
I already have a SE Pro Super Tuner and a Performance Machine heavy breather.
Im battling at the moment choosing a pipe though, Im tossing up between using a Supertrapp 2 into 1 and a D & D Fatcat 2 into 1?
What do you recommend pipe wise im chopping a changing my mind and running out of time.

·
Bon temps rouler!
685 Posts
I have two bikes, one with a Fat Cat and one with a SuperTrapp. They're both nice pipes and you can't go wrong with either one.

I'm partial to the SuperTrapp, mainly because it's a quieter pipe, and it's tunable. The tuning aspect also has control over the sound/noise factor as well.

Also, the SuperTrapp tends to Blue where the muffler meets the header. You can see the bluing in my pic.

But as I said, you can't go wrong with either pipe, I'm happy with both!

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
I'm with Mike on the Supertrapp not being too loud, and tuneable. I'm not with the blueing though. The one I had one a 06 FLHT, "95, cams, heads ect... Was just fine, but I also had it tuned at Latus and they tend to tune to the fat side. I've never had this issue with anything they tuned.

I've heard the Fatcat with standard baffle and a nicely built engine, LOUD IMO.

My Fatcat with the Quiet baffle on a mild build is very liveable.

But I'm touchy since owning a bike where I had to wear ear plugs to keep my ears from ringing all day.

·
Registered
10 Posts
D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1- Very Loud!

Looking for some help guys.

I have a 2009 FXSTC with almost 5000 kms on the clock and im about to increase it from 96 to 106ci using a S & S big bore kit.
Im planning on using S & S 510 gear cams aswell.
I already have a SE Pro Super Tuner and a Performance Machine heavy breather.
Im battling at the moment choosing a pipe though, Im tossing up between using a Supertrapp 2 into 1 and a D & D Fatcat 2 into 1?
What do you recommend pipe wise im chopping a changing my mind and running out of time.
Put D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 on my 2011 Street Glide 103, used the standard baffle, just did a stage 1 kit , tuner and air cleaner. Nice if you like very loud pipes. Anyone who rides beside or behind me can't hear their radio. Might have been just right had I used the quiet baffle.

·
Premium Member
00 Road King, 00 Ultra, 98 Fatboy, 08 Goldwing
527 Posts
I had trouble with the Supertrapp. The pipe is thin coming out of the rear header. It failed after a couple of months of riding. They finally sent me a replacement, but gave me a ration of crap. The new one broke in another place. I didn't even bother calling them. Also, I had trouble with the screws for the baffels. They have lost me as a customer for life. I've got it hanging on the wall around a corner in my garage. Everytime I look at it, I cuss supertrapp. (any resentment worth having is worth hanging onto)

·
Premium Member
1,714 Posts
I've got 52,000 miles on my Supermeg. The muffler housing did turn blue the very first 50 miles but that was due to a lousy dealer "tune" which eventually resulted in a shelled out engine. I replaced the muffler housing last year as I got tired of looking at the blue. The new one has about 20,000 miles on it and it is not blue.

I had a Fat Cat on my last bike. If you want to go deaf or ride with ear plugs all the time then go right ahead and get the Fat Cat with the standard baffle. The quiet baffle will cost you power but is only slightly quieter. If you want a pipe that is tuneable and will make as much power as the Fat Cat but is quiet at cruise get a Supermeg.

·
Enjoying a great Ride.
807 Posts
Quiet baffle

Put D&D Fat Cat 2 into 1 on my 2011 Street Glide 103, used the standard baffle, just did a stage 1 kit , tuner and air cleaner. Nice if you like very loud pipes. Anyone who rides beside or behind me can't hear their radio. Might have been just right had I used the quiet baffle.
You can order the quiet baffle, and put it in, I don't beleave you'll have to re tune your bike. The quiet baffle is just right, I love mine. I can here my radio fine on the hwy, the new boss fatcat is one nice looking pipe to.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I tried the FatCat with the quiet baffle on my bagger and it lost hp & tq (alot) over my ProPipe so I went back to the ProPipe even tho I liked the quality & sound of the FatCat better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried the FatCat with the quiet baffle on my bagger and it lost hp & tq (alot) over my ProPipe so I went back to the ProPipe even tho I liked the quality & sound of the FatCat better.
Did you tune the bike after changing the pipe to the Fatcat of just change without tuning and change back?

If you did a dyno tune with the FatCat, what were the numbers?

Dennis

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can order the quiet baffle, and put it in, I don't beleave you'll have to re tune your bike. The quiet baffle is just right, I love mine. I can here my radio fine on the hwy, the new boss fatcat is one nice looking pipe to.
I didn't think I would like the 2-1 sound but on this engind build I did I decided to go with it for the performance aspects of it. It turns out I love the sound and many of my friends think it sounds great too.

I have a fatcat with a wrapped performance baffle and it sounds awesome to me. Not too loud but beefy and powerful. I have heard the performance baffle unwrapped at idle and revving and it is brutal loud. My pipe has changed its sound since new and keeps getting better really. At cruise it is a pleasant hum and I can hear my radio just great. Of course the Arc Audio amp and Focal spkrs have something to do with that as well! :)

·
Premium Member
5,582 Posts
If you change baffles in the Fat Cat you most certainly will need a re-tune.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Cams

Just reading your post and I see you plan on gear drive cams which is not needed with the new style tensioners which saves you money. Now we return you to your regular program.

·
Banned
17,245 Posts
I had trouble with the Supertrapp. The pipe is thin coming out of the rear header. It failed after a couple of months of riding. They finally sent me a replacement, but gave me a ration of crap. The new one broke in another place. I didn't even bother calling them. Also, I had trouble with the screws for the baffels. They have lost me as a customer for life. I've got it hanging on the wall around a corner in my garage. Everytime I look at it, I cuss supertrapp. (any resentment worth having is worth hanging onto)
I had the same problem with Samson. Headers cracked. Brackets for the heat shields broke. Cheap quality. Replaced them with the Fatcat. Construction is far superior. But the quiet baffle has become to loud for me. Don't know if it is me or the baffle packing wore out. Can it be fixed? That's why I'm reading up on Supertrapp.
You didn't mention but I bet you have a Dyna. My indy dealer told me that is the problem, the vibrating isolated engine will break cheap pipes. OK, folks, what is the quietest black pipe I can get?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts