V-Twin Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yah open that beast up..let it breath...let it scream...you'll be amazed by the 124's power up top
LSR Pro Stock 2-1's 2inch- what about this for a brought pipe? R Bracing guy says thats the one.
Oh you'll love this... after all the BS with 2:1s, the 2:2s were off-the-shelf Kustom Krome or somebody like them and were all of $89.00... Still had the stock exhaust shields from when the bike was new and they fit. So after all was said and done, an $89.00 set of straight pipes, cut flush at 33" IIRC, with back pressure via two bolts -- outperformed all the others. I have the cancelled checks and dyno sheets to prove it LOL!!
That鈥檚 perfect and now I have some good info on this so Im ready to go pipe hunting 馃ぃ馃ぃ馃ぃ

Registered
I haven't kept up with changes re tuning/what works/what doesn't or RB's newest designs and how they work with newer cams - but back when I was keeping up, RB pipes were not well-regarded by two VG tuners here. Both had the same experience with RB. Said they were hard to tune and didn't give the best performance. Remember, I'm running a carb. But still, I don't know anyone running an RB. Turbos, NOX and big motors but no RBs I know of. FWIW. Good luck!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I haven't kept up with changes re tuning/what works/what doesn't or RB's newest designs and how they work with newer cams - but back when I was keeping up, RB pipes were not well-regarded by two VG tuners here. Both had the same experience with RB. Said they were hard to tune and didn't give the best performance. Remember, I'm running a carb. But still, I don't know anyone running an RB. Turbos, NOX and big motors but no RBs I know of. FWIW. Good luck!
so basically this is what i need, with the thunder jet, no RB not super trapp not D&D fatties now i just need to find them or find who makes them.
Capture.PNG
pipiess.PNG

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Here's the thing it also depends on how you ride. If your crusing with the boys mostly mid range running and shifting that backpressure will help keep the bike with midrange torque and smooth power. If your one of those who likes to chug to hear each cylinder hit one at a time like many older bagger guys do (lugging is bad for motor) and shift at 2400 rpm again back pressure helps performance. If you leave rubber going light to light, drive like you're on fire and can't sleep without the sound of a v-twin hitting 6k the back pressure is not for you and hence the drag pipes now come into play. Get air in get air out fast! Drag pipes are for 4500rpm up. Now throw drag pipes on the other two scenarios they will hate them. Thats the best way to explain this......now on a big bore motor witch usually has a mid to upper rpm cam and huge volume of air the principles change a little. Torque is everywhere so if it runs a bit sloppy down low its less noticeable but up top past 4k its all about flow and getting that air out fast. Any restriction will not let it rev. Can't rev all the power of those high rpm cams is left on the table.
Again ALL pipes make their best power in less than a 2k window of rpm. So your best choice is to get the one that works best where you ride most. There is no one best choice to fit all. It is based solely on what you plan to do with it. The Superbtrap with disks is adjustable to a point you can vary that pressure. Above 5k on a big bore? No you'd be beter off cutting it off with a Sawzall before they tee together or it won't rev over 5k.....cold harsh facts...
i saw your bike on the dyno on you tube, purging the nitrous looks like a fun bike

Registered
Run the cheap open drags spending all those dollars on an R&B is a waste. Listen to FXDRYDR2's advice cheap drags are where its it at .

Registered
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Run the cheap open drags spending all those dollars on an R&B is a waste. Listen to FXDRYDR2's advice cheap drags are where its it at .
Ok but if you had somebody who could tig up a set or to into ones - like drag pipes on a drag bike what would you all be having made? What鈥檚 the perfect dream set ? Diameter - stepped sizes for crazy hailing ass and total length 40 inches per pipe ?

Registered
Ok but if you had somebody who could tig up a set or to into ones - like drag pipes on a drag bike what would you all be having made? What鈥檚 the perfect dream set ? Diameter - stepped sizes for crazy hailing ass and total length 40 inches per pipe ?
This was the final pipe we made it worked great but not a huge difference over just plain drags.

Attachments

Registered
Call Vince at Burns Stainless. He has a software program that will calculate diameter, step lengths, etc. for max results based on your specific motor. It's a service they provide. He'll send you a template, you input your motor specs, the program designs your pipe. Strongly recommend the Burns collector and can -- these are critical pieces -- and purchasing the bends, tubing, bungs, etc. from Burns as well.

Vince will package everything up, everything will be right, and you'll have zero problems. He'll also be very willing to lend support thereafter for tuning, issues experienced by others for which they've engineered solutions, and a whole lot more. You might also ask about relative differences between 2:2 and 2:1 on big motors. IIRC Vince built a wicked set of "high rise" 2:2s. I believe that was for his personal bike, but I could be wrong. PM me if you have any questions about this route and/or if you do it - the dimensions you get. Good luck.

Registered
1 3/4" from motor to under points cover. 2 1/8" for another 14" and then a 4" collector with a circular plate door inside the collector set at 45掳 but like I said not much of a gain over the open drags.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Freedom Performance Amendment Exhaust For Harley | 20% ($20.00) Off! - RevZilla

i can probably get a second hand set of these freedom Amendments the only thing i cant find is the header step sizes, i will likely just ring up freedom and ask but they are closed Friday -Monday so have to wait till Tuesday grrrr i want info now, if these are a goer i'll slap the trapps back on my WG. get my thunder jet and get busy...

do you guys have any experience with these Freedom pipes

Registered
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
1 3/4" from motor to under points cover. 2 1/8" for another 14" and then a 4" collector with a circular plate door inside the collector set at 45掳 but like I said not much of a gain over the open drags.
Best I could do I found a set of Rinehart BUB鈥檚 never fitted with the stepped headers, larger short baffles I ordered the thunder jet, fitted these pipes yesterday only issue I had was the rear header touches the motor - gear box brace (pace brace), it all came together but I鈥檒l end up removing the brace and taking 1/16 or so off that section, still raining and carrying on here atm so have not had a chance to ride it

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Ok so got my thunder jet got my staggered header Bubs with the large bore baffles - I get it now - the things like night and day to what is was before - opened up and free鈥檇 to be beast

Registered
Ok so got my thunder jet got my staggered header Bubs with the large bore baffles - I get it now - the things like night and day to what is was before - opened up and free鈥檇 to be beast
Thats great news brother. Now you're gonna get the real deal experience of owning a 124

Registered
awesome,,, who would have thought it, right? Enjoy that 124,, they are monsters once allowed to breathe and get enough fuel throughout the rpm range.. sometimes it takes a whileto get that hard learned performance mentality out of your head,, when first going large..
Tuning the carb will be the last challenge,,,,
A good starting point will be 34-35 low speed jet,, 1/2-3/4 turn out on the a/f screw..i78-82 main jet,, 2.00 air bleed with a 1.65 T'jet..
You may get a slight stutter at 3200-4000rpm cruising,, if so, the air bleed will move where the main jet comes in,, it about a 150-200rpm change per jet size,,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
awesome,,, who would have thought it, right? Enjoy that 124,, they are monsters once allowed to breathe and get enough fuel throughout the rpm range.. sometimes it takes a whileto get that hard learned performance mentality out of your head,, when first going large..
Tuning the carb will be the last challenge,,,,
A good starting point will be 34-35 low speed jet,, 1/2-3/4 turn out on the a/f screw..i78-82 main jet,, 2.00 air bleed with a 1.65 T'jet..
You may get a slight stutter at 3200-4000rpm cruising,, if so, the air bleed will move where the main jet comes in,, it about a 150-200rpm change per jet size,,
TT that's the good info i need, its running great as it as i got a local tuner fit it for me, but its got a couple of pops and splutters here and there still and i was speaking to the thunder Jet guy and he advised me Contact Greg's machining service? they must be experts as they fit a heap of the thunder jets but had a 2 month wait anyway, i'll book it in and get them to dyno tune it. thanks for the heads up.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Thats great news brother. Now you're gonna get the real deal experience of owning a 124
i have been riding this bike around actually holla ing inside my helmet with some sort of mental happiness its the best feeling to nail it then get to the end of the road and think... did that just happen and go back and do it again, i dont want to even sit on my WG now, its all about the DRAG-TAIL

Registered
i have been riding this bike around actually holla ing inside my helmet with some sort of mental happiness its the best feeling to nail it then get to the end of the road and think... did that just happen and go back and do it again, i dont want to even sit on my WG now, its all about the DRAG-TAIL
Properly tuned you should get 132-134hp at the rear wheel. That is allot of power to toy with. Just be careful. Blipping the throttle she can pull the bars out of your hands if you get caught of guard and laxed. Ride within your abilities its easy to get wild with that motor. Also upgrade your brakes and tires enjoy

Registered
As arcangel said,,, these things will hurt you, if you make a slight error... mine would jerk the front wheel 3-4 feet 9ff the road, if i whacked the throttle open at around 4500-5000,,, the place i would caution judicious throttle use is, in corners
Now,, i think dyno tuning a carbed, S&S 124,, is a waste of money,, because it comes down to this jet or that one,, with efi bikes and tuners,you can tune every gear in increments down to 100 rpm,,, huge difference in the ability to tune..

S&S engines are a proven build,,, 124" 10.8 comp, 640 cam, and so on.. there is more power available,, if you raise compression, change cams, and have the heads done by a porter thst specializes in big performance engines,, if your hear him talking about increasing torque,, walk away, he is a small motor guy,, a 124 does not need more torque..

Yeah,, better brakes are mandatory... i used PM,, dual front and single rear, changed the rotors, lines and master cyls... and used organic pads,, true, they were shot in 3k miles,, but i didnt need new rotors when i changed the sintered pads at 6k miles..

Parting thoughts,, we have, properly inducted another big inch motor pilot, into the large inch group,,, congrats enjoy the bike..

41 - 60 of 61 Posts