V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there i have a question regarding the amount of discs to use for best Torque and flow to the end, my Motors a 124 cube S&S Crate motor, just run in, brought the Super trapp running open end cap 10 discs, make no mistake the bike hails hard but i just not sure if there is a better combo open disc wise, thanks Walks

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Worrying about torque,,, with an S&S 124 between your legs? Seriously,,,, i don't mean to be a smarta$$,, but?? That engine will have plenty of torque..

.now your exhaust is a whole different story,,, it will choke down your engine no matter what combination you try,, the head pipes are to small in diameter.. there are 2-1 pipes made especially for large engines,, super trapp isn't one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Worrying about torque,,, with an S&S 124 between your legs? Seriously,,,, i don't mean to be a smarta$$,, but?? That engine will have plenty of torque..

.now your exhaust is a whole different story,,, it will choke down your engine no matter what combination you try,, the head pipes are to small in diameter.. there are 2-1 pipes made especially for large engines,, super trapp isn't one.
I’m not worried about the torque I just used that word for asking the question, just simply what’s the best combo for performance, I have used the super trapp before on 2 other bikes always kept the same combo 10 plates open end cap. It’s not my first tire shredder either, always been what I went for, what pipe is better ?

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
There was no competition intended,, i was asking a question,, and saying i had experience in large quick engines.. you seem to have some sort of complex,, ithis is my last reply,, good luck. You should listen to arcangel,, there are about a half dozen actual professional engine builders on this forum,, that have extensive engine building and tuning experience,,, with very large h8gh performance engines,,, some have raced pro stock and up to top fuel,,, now you have 5..

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I sort of feel as though your being a bit of a key board warrior here Tall Terry, I
There was no competition intended,, i was asking a question,, and saying i had experience in large quick engines.. you seem to have some sort of complex,, ithis is my last reply,, good luck. You should listen to arcangel,, there are about a half dozen actual professional engine builders on this forum,, that have extensive engine building and tuning experience,,, with very large h8gh performance engines,,, some have raced pro stock and up to top fuel,,, now you have 5..
Pity it had to be like this TT but you did rough me up a bit and straight off the boat into the big guy on the forum was pretty hard learnings for me, so i am a little disappointed to say the least that somebody with 9000 plus posts on this forum would come across as being an smart%$# even though you stated you were not being one, or maybe you might of suggested you have used a particular brand with these larger headers not just said Super traps are rubbish.

Instead i'm getting all this old nut babble,

Thought i share this one with and then that's it we dont have speak again, so this is sort of funny because this is the second time i went on a forum and got a beating from the forum big guy- so here is the first time...

We brought my kids a cavoodle once (8 YEARS AGO) i went on a forum and said "do you guys know what color this dog is?" (ruby red) some bag asked were i brought it? i said the pet shop and she proceeded to tell me what a prick i was for not using a breeder, when i had no idea you were supposed to or that i did the wrong thing, and next minute im heading for as a show down with the master animal activist, i just left the forum because it didn't really matter anyway and i was just happy my kids got this dog and wanted to know the color, so this reminded me of that time TT.

As you can see i had a spare 5 minutes and i think its funny your trying to play it cool, when you i'm guessing though you were speaking to a young punk not a bike person. im 46 man, and FYI you'll notice i didnt ask about valves or cams or head work, OR GOING FAST i have that part sorted, i also didnt ask what is the best oil to run..tire pressure or how do i do a rolling burn out. o_O no hard feelings TT i'm just stirring you up Big Man. good luck to you anyway.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Wow guy you gotta chill and may get some thicker skin while your there...what Terry said was an honest observation of what we already know. The super trap is a great pipe but it certainly doesn't fit your application he was just being honest. Here's the thing, that motor you have is not like any normal motor on most bikes. Shes a big bore beast. They move a ton of air that a normal application pipe just can't move. I had that exact motor .640 cam on nitrous and it pulled 180+ hp on the dyno. Its a ridiculous motor and a deadly motor under an unskilled rider. If you want peak power run mid length open duals 1 3/4" drags. You can run bigger but then run them full length. No torque cones no baffles of any kind. There isn't really a two into one pipe that doesn't bottle neck were they tee together that will flow enough I wound up building my own pipe 2 into one. Honestly gained hardly anything over the open dual drags. With tons of flow. If its a V124 evo carb model with a G carb you MUST run a thunder jet or your be leaving hp on the table. Not even a G carb can keep up with the fuel demand un modified. When tuned proper she should have around 132hp 143tq or in that area at the rear wheel with a high flow pipe. Even the stock petcock in the tank will need to be changed. That motor is an animal. Keep your shift point at 6k peak torque is 4800 ish. Change out stock ignition to a dynatech

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Hey uhh,,, you can't stir me up,, i am not he most gracious guy and I'm just straight to the point,, sorry it got you wound up,,, nothing i said was intended to berate you,, its just,, i had tried a the system you mentioned,, and it choked my 113 137hp,, old mans retirement motor so bad, i couldn't get past 5k in high gear,,, it pulled well into the 6k rpm neighborhood before the the supertrapp, and did again when it was on the floor,,, i,, was just trying to share my 3xperience with it, and all other 2-1 pipes on big motors...

Its funny you should call me big man,,, lol i'm 6'8" and around 300#,, one old, now deceased friends told me i was as big as a wrestler he called the undertaker,, i had to google it,, lol,,,

Hey ArcAngel did you see FXDRYDR2's question about exhaust on his bike? I think its in the 120 zippers thread

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey uhh,,, you can't stir me up,, i am not he most gracious guy and I'm just straight to the point,, sorry it got you wound up,,, nothing i said was intended to berate you,, its just,, i had tried a the system you mentioned,, and it choked my 113 137hp,, old mans retirement motor so bad, i couldn't get past 5k in high gear,,, it pulled well into the 6k rpm neighborhood before the the supertrapp, and did again when it was on the floor,,, i,, was just trying to share my 3xperience with it, and all other 2-1 pipes on big motors...

Its funny you should call me big man,,, lol i'm 6'8" and around 300#,, one old, now deceased friends told me i was as big as a wrestler he called the undertaker,, i had to google it,, lol,,,

Hey ArcAngel did you see FXDRYDR2's question about exhaust on his bike? I think its in the 120 zippers thread
Thanks TT yeah i probably over reacted lol- i was trying to mellow it out with the dog story anyway onwards and up wards, i'll definitely start researching mid length open duals 1 3/4" drags pipes as ArcAngel and yourself mentioned, i never though the power would restrict through the Super trapp,

TT pipes did you end up going for?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow guy you gotta chill and may get some thicker skin while your there...what Terry said was an honest observation of what we already know. The super trap is a great pipe but it certainly doesn't fit your application he was just being honest. Here's the thing, that motor you have is not like any normal motor on most bikes. Shes a big bore beast. They move a ton of air that a normal application pipe just can't move. I had that exact motor .640 cam on nitrous and it pulled 180+ hp on the dyno. Its a ridiculous motor and a deadly motor under an unskilled rider. If you want peak power run mid length open duals 1 3/4" drags. You can run bigger but then run them full length. No torque cones no baffles of any kind. There isn't really a two into one pipe that doesn't bottle neck were they tee together that will flow enough I wound up building my own pipe 2 into one. Honestly gained hardly anything over the open dual drags. With tons of flow. If its a V124 evo carb model with a G carb you MUST run a thunder jet or your be leaving hp on the table. Not even a G carb can keep up with the fuel demand un modified. When tuned proper she should have around 132hp 143tq or in that area at the rear wheel with a high flow pipe. Even the stock petcock in the tank will need to be changed. That motor is an animal. Keep your shift point at 6k peak torque is 4800 ish. Change out stock ignition to a dynatech
Thanks ArcAngel thats good info, and lesson learned on my thin skin, can you buy a 1 3/4 dual of the shelf that works? Thanks Walks

·
Registered
1,882 Posts

I did and responded the same
Thanks ArcAngel thats good info, and lesson learned on my thin skin, can you buy a 1 3/4 dual of the shelf that works? Thanks Walks
All good man, its a group of bikers here. What may sound harsh is probably good advice. Terry is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable on here. A wealth of good and honest advice. Good luck on you build. Yah just scrap up some old drag pipes or get a cheap set of mid to long drags they are cheap and can be cut down. Just avoid really short drags. Or duals you can cut the mufflers off. I make my own pipes if have access to a welder get a biultwell builders kit and make up your own set. The ones below worked great on the 124 just open pipes

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

All good man, its a group of bikers here. What may sound harsh is probably good advice. Terry is one of the most helpful and knowledgeable on here. A wealth of good and honest advice. Good luck on you build. Yah just scrap up some old drag pipes or get a cheap set of mid to long drags they are cheap and can be cut down. Just avoid really short drags. Or duals you can cut the mufflers off. I make my own pipes if have access to a welder get a biultwell builders kit and make up your own set. The ones below worked great on the 124 just open pipes

those are wild pipes, is that your track bike?

·
Registered
9,225 Posts
Hey,, we have it all worked out now,, no worries,,, i just say what I'm thinking , i never intentionally give anyone a hard time,, intentionally.

So a friend out west, built my pipes, who races at bonneville in the motorcycle streamliners,, made me a set,, they are stepped from 1.875 to 2.25" in 4 steps.. and are a couple inches shorter than staggered duals with straight cut ends.. but look like them.. i try to keep my bike under the radar,, looking near stock,,

Arc's pipes are pretty radical aren't they? Can't wait to see his new creation,, he is talented..though,, when he told us he was going to put the 124 on the bottle,, it was like wtf? Lol

There is a ton of knowledge on this forum,,, no 1 of us has it all,, but all together are pretty close..

And,, if i can help you with anything,, I'll gladly do so.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey,, we have it all worked out now,, no worries,,, i just say what I'm thinking , i never intentionally give anyone a hard time,, intentionally.

So a friend out west, built my pipes, who races at bonneville in the motorcycle streamliners,, made me a set,, they are stepped from 1.875 to 2.25" in 4 steps.. and are a couple inches shorter than staggered duals with straight cut ends.. but look like them.. i try to keep my bike under the radar,, looking near stock,,

Arc's pipes are pretty radical aren't they? Can't wait to see his new creation,, he is talented..though,, when he told us he was going to put the 124 on the bottle,, it was like wtf? Lol

There is a ton of knowledge on this forum,,, no 1 of us has it all,, but all together are pretty close..

And,, if i can help you with anything,, I'll gladly do so.
i like the under the radar also and thanks for the info

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No that was my everyday rider. A 1989 FXRS custom cafe style. Then we added the S&S 124 then nitrous. Its was a wild ride for sure.
what times did it make on the quarter with and with out the Nitrous? thats an insane looking bike

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
what times did it make on the quarter with and with out the Nitrous? thats an insane looking bike
Unfortunately I had just gotten the nitrous dialed in and tuned in. I had to install a variable pressure plate to hold the clutch as above 153hp it let lose. After that it pulled just over 180Hp about 2 months later it was mid July 2020. I was leaving a clubhouse party and was hit by a drunk driver doing 70mph while I made the u-turn. She was totaled beyond repair. I wound up with a shattered left femur. Im still not even able to hold a bike up. Now I'm building a v8 trike. We assumed it would probably run upper 10's on the gas low tens with a light rider witch I am not possibly break into the high 9's. Im 250 and I can tell you it would ride the wheelie bars half way through third gear. It was fast...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts