V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else bought the Super Sport Windshield (that's the tall one)? Maybe I am just too tall for this screen - but all it seems to do is direct wind at my face and into my helmet - anything over 40mph and my visor flips up if it's down...and over 70 it flips it down if it's up!!

I am 6' 1" - and will very soon (like next week, when I get the dealer to remove it [clamps in odd position, can't get allen key in]) have a screen for sale...half-price to anyone who wants it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
harley offers 3 different windshields for the vrod. the s/s is the middle one. there is one smaller and one larger. the largest windshield requires relocating the turn signals for the handle bar to the forks which is done by buying the docking kit.:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah..thanks for that. And I suppose the largest one is so tall that you have to look thru it and suffer all that THAT means. What a load of sh1t!

Ah well, guess I will just remain screenless.....!

Cheers & ride safe
paj

·
Registered
318 Posts
ive got the tall windshield and its a whole lot better than the other ones.as for relocating the lights dont bother.the tall windshield fits fine without moving the lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gpp said:
ive got the tall windshield and its a whole lot better than the other ones.as for relocating the lights dont bother.the tall windshield fits fine without moving the lights.
Hi! Don't suppose you have a photo of your rod with the tall shield fitted? Would really like to see before I consider buying.....

Cheers!

paj

·
Banned
490 Posts
Touring Windshield

There is a picture of the V-Rod Touring windshield in the H-D Parts & Accessories catalog.

Unless you are going to be doing a lot of freeway touring on your V-Rod, or you are extremely tall, I'd stick with the Super Sport windshield. The "Touring" windshield has a "CHiPs" look, that IMHO, detracts from the overall beauty of the bike.

I've had the Super Sport windshield for about two weeks now, and it seems to be pretty effective. I do find I need to lean forward a little when wearing a 3/4 helmet to prevent windblast going in my face at around 50 mph. With a full-face helmet I'm as comfortable as can be, although with the face shield down I find the V-Rod to be eerily quiet - virtually no engine noise, only wind noise noticeable above 40 mph.

Also, if you install the SS windshield yourself, make sure you have long metric (4,5,6 mm) Allen wrenches. Also, make sure you tighten the large Allen-head bolt that secures the base of the windshield bracket above the headlight securely. Mine came loose after a few miles, and I had to very carefully creep home. I decided to use a removable thread-lock (purple Loc-Tite) compound on this fastener. This is probably a big no-no, but I'd rather not worry about the windshield flying into my face at speed.

·
Registered
318 Posts
buy the new screaming eagle pipes and get rid of the quitness.with the taller windshield you dont get the wind in your face.course im only 5 10.as far as looks,i would rather be comfortable than looking cool but thats just me .if you do get the tall windshield dont put anything in your shirt pocket cause the wind will pull it out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My dealer is trading me out the SS for the Touring windshield. Can you wear a half helmet without catching bugs on the Touring ws? I can't with the SS only full mask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the SS mid-size which works for those nice lazy rides, and is okay for 70mph freeway, although I get alot more buffeting on the shoulders and torso than the OTHER BIKE with touring WS. I'm 5'4" & wear a full face helmet all the time (my 55-year-old-woman-brain says so)!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts