V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally figured out why my super glide has been bugging me.

It the placement of the tach. It just doesn't say "HARLEY".

when you look at the other bikes from the front or three quarter view you see a clean looking front end handlebars and that fat tank.

The SG tach on top gives it a rice burner look.

looks like a new tank is in order.

What say you all?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Personally, I like the tach and speedometer mounted "right up front" on the handlebar riser. I think that it looks very "Harley". That's where Harley has always put the instruments on their "sport bikes" -- the Sportster and the Super Glide.

Tom

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
@gree: ...and when I'm slamming through the gears whacking more of the unsuspecting, I don't want to be looking down at the gas tank or at some tiny tach.

That said, whatever rings your bell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I fitted an aftermarket Zodiac mini-tach, mounted on an adaptor screwed to the steering head nut. It sits snugly in the hollow formed in the rear of the bar clamp. That was the easy bit. Wiring it wasn't, but that's a different thread :eek:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
it bugged me too.

[/IMG] I modified this myself and gave it the factory wrinkle finish. It also eliminates it from the profile view but still easy to see.. As you said it didn't look Harley.

·
2003 SpringDyna
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
peewee,

that's what I am talking about!!!

do you think that can be done with the stock dual setup from harley? if not what would you charge me to do another one?

send me and email

paul

·
Registered
30 Posts
Paul, that is the stock set up from harley, I cut the Idiot light bracket off and rework the whole mount.. . I currently have one of these set ups for 6" pull backs ( they are at a different angle )
but I can rework yours (2 day turn around time) you can call me at 530-370-6266 thanks peewee ps. www.signspeeweedesigns.com

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
alternate tach mounting

Perhaps the way I mounted the tach and speedometer on my Sporty roadster would have some application to your Super Glide. You would first need to get the kit from Harley that had the double mounting bracket and the tach

I used 2 chrome, deep 10 point 3/8" drive metric sockets. I got 2 stainless steel bolts with the same threads as the two bolts that hold on the headlight cover. I got a couple of stainless steel flat washers and 2 of the spring-mount chrome hex-head bolt covers sold by Harley-Davidson.

I threaded the bolts through (1) the flat washers then (2) the tach/speedo brackets then (3) the sockets and finally (4) bolted them through the top of the headlight pod.

I no longer own either the sporty or the super glide so unfortunately I can't post any pictures of the completed installation. This mounting worked great on the sporty and put the speedo and tach lower and at a better angle for viewing for me. I also personally never liked the way they looked sitting on top of the handlebars. Too "out in the wind" for my taste

FWIW, I have a both a new HD wrinkle-black tach kit for an 04/05 Super Glide and the requisite sockets, bolts and other parts to mount the tach/speedo conversion to the headlight cover. I also have both a new wrinkle-black handlebar clamp and new wrinkle-black headlight cover with both new round and new rectangular black hole covers. The tach kit alone (HD P/N 67224-04) lists for $266.95 (item "C"on page 648 in the current HD P&A catalog).

$200 USPS money order plus shipping sends everything direct to you. Photo of items on request.

email <[email protected]> (personal bike website)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I've heard of that technique.. but doesn't that put yer speedo and tach right on top of the head lamp? Even farther out front? I was trying to eliminate the gauges showing in a profile shot of it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
more shotz

[/IMG] and
[/IMG] and
[/IMG] the visor helps keep the sun off the idiot lights.. it werkz fer me! ~!Awesome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts