V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You guys know what I mean.....Dealers that have rice burners and Harleys sitting side by side at these places.....Well, word has it that Harley is becoming disenchanted with these places....They aren't liking the fact that one of their competitors ($10,000 less in price) is sitting right next to their bikes. Most of the 'Super' dealers here in Michigan also own a shop that handles nothing but Harleys. It's in the wind that Harley is gonna insist that the other bikes have to go. If they ('Super Dealers') don't comply, they are gonna $hit can them....They will just cease shipping bikes to them.....That's what I heard last fall...........And ya know what? I don't blame them........

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
It would seem that if the Super Dealers are meeting the conditions of their dealership agreement, the MOCO would have a difficult time forcing the dealers from exclusively selling HD Motorcycles.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I guess it would depend on if they (the MoCo) thought they were losing sales because of the side-by-side. While there are a few honest salespeople out there, I would think most would be pushing the HD bikes anyway, as they are higher priced, and probably earn more commission. (Kindof like upselling from an Altima to a Maxima).

·
Registered
32 Posts
IMHO HOG's outclass any rice bike..and it becomes obvious when you put them side by side....I don't think Harley has anything to worry about...as long as they keep the price of the bikes reasonable.....

·
Registered
434 Posts
My local shop was a Yamaha dealer. Years ago, Harley came to them asking them to consider selling HD as well. It is still a Yamaha/HD dealer. If HD begins nsisting that they sell HD only, I would hope they would resist with every remedy available.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I think the Moco could care less whether a dealership sells different bikes side by side or not. The issue revolves around if those dealerships can move the number of HD Bikes the MOCO wants them to move. As long as they are selling well, I don't believe the MOCO will have any issues. I don't doubt that the Moco may dump some dealerships that are not moving many bikes at all. They could take that inventory and push it to some location that can move them.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I would think that if someone walked into a dealership to buy a Japanese bike then that is what they will buy, if they walk in after a Harley, well then they will buy a Harley. I have owned several Japanese motorcycles and there was nothing wrong with them. That being said I have a Harley now and love it. You cannot blame a dealer for wanting to satisfy a large cusomer base. As long as the sales staff knows the product and they can accuratly express each brands attributes then all is well. It makes stepping up to a Harley all the easier for the cutomer if they already have a relashionship with a dealer that they can trust or a saleperson that they like.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
I wonder if this will affect Delano sports center in Delano, MN?

They sell both, but they have two buildings...one on each side of a large parking lot. One I think sells yamaha, kawasaki; and of course, the other building is a full harley davidson dealership.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
There are numerous dealers in California that sell Japanese motorcycles as well as ATV's and boats all together. The dealer in Kingman, Arizona used to sell Honda and Harley. They rebuilt it in the last few years and now they sell the Japanese Big Four plus Harley, SKi Doo, Polaris and all of the boats and miscellaneous water craft. They even have a service department for each one. Go figure.

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
There is a H-D/Honda shop here in Indy were I have bought many parts for my VTX, even had my valves adjusted there last year. They have as much Honda product there as they do H-D, but the H-D clothing section is the biggest section of all.:ymca:

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
there's a big dealer in north Denver, multi-building campus layout. One building for HD and another one for metrics. No problem for them, except they sell a ton of bikes.

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
350Z said:
IMHO HOG's outclass any rice bike..and it becomes obvious when you put them side by side....I don't think Harley has anything to worry about...as long as they keep the price of the bikes reasonable.....

Your very first post you dog *** bikes but you got a *** car for a screen name.:huh:

·
?????
3,531 Posts
vtxjosh said:
Your very first post you dog *** bikes but you got a *** car for a screen name.:huh:
I guess he models the saying "The pot calling the Kettle black".

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
vtxjosh said:
Josh, given his screen name and comment about "rice bikes", the guy has to be trollin'. And, what's with "I don't think Harley has anything to worry about...as long as they keep the price of the bikes reasonable." How many times do you hear that HDs are reasonably priced? The guy's looking to get a rise out of folks...or else he's a total motorcycle ignoramus.

I still kick myself for not picking up one of those VTX1800 "warehouse overstocks" for $8000 that were available for a short time about a year and a half ago. Possibly the greatest all time bargain in the motorcycle world (now if Honda would just do the same with Goldwings).

·
Lighten up!
593 Posts
FredGarvin said:
Josh, given his screen name and comment about "rice bikes", the guy has to be trollin'. And, what's with "I don't think Harley has anything to worry about...as long as they keep the price of the bikes reasonable." How many times do you hear that HDs are reasonably priced? The guy's looking to get a rise out of folks...or else he's a total motorcycle ignoramus.

I still kick myself for not picking up one of those VTX1800 "warehouse overstocks" for $8000 that were available for a short time about a year and a half ago. Possibly the greatest all time bargain in the motorcycle world (now if Honda would just do the same with Goldwings).
Tell me about it I would love to have a Goldwing.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Me too but I'm nearly 6' 5" and I've heard that on the recent models the seat pushes the rider forward... Haven't sat on them lately so not sure. Right now my Deuce is a virtual bagger with hard cases and big windshield -- I like to do long trips. Would be nice to strip it down and keep it for short trips and have the comfort of a Wing for the long ones.

vtxjosh said:
Tell me about it I would love to have a Goldwing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts