V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Turgid member
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to replace my Corbin gunfighter seat with something that would keep my eyeballs from vibrating due to it's firmness. After about 8,000 miles, I'm still waiting for it to break in. So I order the Sundowner solo from the dealer, and make sure that I can return it if I don't like it. No problem, as they didn't have any to look at. So it arrives and I put it on my Lowrider. What an ugly cheap piece of crap. (The seat, not my bike) It looked like somebody took a bed pan and covered it in vinyl. It weighed about a pound and a half due to it's lack of quality materials. Support was non existant, and I felt as if I was sliding off the rear of the seat upon acceleration. The foam quality seemed low budget, and was compensated for with about 5 or six inches of foam thinkness, which made it look even klunkier. If it actually was a funtional seat, I would have let it's ugliness slide. However, the combination of ugliness and uselessness equaled no sale.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,150 Posts
MoCo seats cause my ass to crack... can send photos.

Stick with the Corbin.... I have 8,700 miles on mine and it feels great... first 1k was stiff and I questioned wether it would soften up some... it did.
 

·
Premium octane member
Joined
·
7,381 Posts
um thats weird, many have the opposite veiw about this seat. I have always said that this seat was good. My dad and mom 2 up have logged well over 30,000 on this seat and love it. He went fron the stock 05 seeg seat and never looked back. This is the seat i use for long trips as well. (rallerunner for localjaunts)Maybe its the difference from the dresser to dyna style. But hey, thats why there is 100's of different seat manufacturers, so each can have his own......at least you could return it....good luck with the corbin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
I'm also a member of another motorcycle forum and one of those members was complaining about the same thing. Turns out the foam that was in his seat had gotten hard over time and wouldn't get comfortable. He ended up riding back to the Corbin factory and they replaced that foam for some better stuff. I can try to find that link if you'd like to read it.
 

·
Turgid member
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Martin64 said:
I'm also a member of another motorcycle forum and one of those members was complaining about the same thing. Turns out the foam that was in his seat had gotten hard over time and wouldn't get comfortable. He ended up riding back to the Corbin factory and they replaced that foam for some better stuff. I can try to find that link if you'd like to read it.
Sure, that would be great. I live close enough to ride on down. Thanks.
 

·
Turgid member
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TXCHOP said:
um thats weird, many have the opposite veiw about this seat. I have always said that this seat was good. My dad and mom 2 up have logged well over 30,000 on this seat and love it. He went fron the stock 05 seeg seat and never looked back. This is the seat i use for long trips as well. (rallerunner for localjaunts)Maybe its the difference from the dresser to dyna style. But hey, thats why there is 100's of different seat manufacturers, so each can have his own......at least you could return it....good luck with the corbin
I'm sure that the seat would be well hidden amongst all the bags and all, it just didn't look good on the Dyna. The passenger pad probably helps with the lack of rear support as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
Sundowner

I have a Sundowner for my 05 Dyna and find it to be supremely comfortable. It offers good support and enforces an upright riding posture. I've taken some longish trips on this seat and have had no seat related discomfort. That said - yes, it is a large & bulky seat, which is quite obvious in the pictures of it in the catalog. For that reason, I also have a Sidekick Custom seat for the bike now and use that around town and when riding alone. It is a much better looking seat but doesn't approach the comfort level of the Sundowner. My wife won't get on the bike with the Sidekick and I can't say I blame her!

FWIW, I've had a Corbin seat in the past and I don't really think the seat ever breaks in to become soft, it just ends up conforming to the shape of your posterior. There is just not much foam between the seat cover and the pan on Corbin seats.
 

·
Turgid member
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OrangeTJ said:
I have a Sundowner for my 05 Dyna and find it to be supremely comfortable. It offers good support and enforces an upright riding posture. I've taken some longish trips on this seat and have had no seat related discomfort. That said - yes, it is a large & bulky seat, which is quite obvious in the pictures of it in the catalog. For that reason, I also have a Sidekick Custom seat for the bike now and use that around town and when riding alone. It is a much better looking seat but doesn't approach the comfort level of the Sundowner. My wife won't get on the bike with the Sidekick and I can't say I blame her!

FWIW, I've had a Corbin seat in the past and I don't really think the seat ever breaks in to become soft, it just ends up conforming to the shape of your posterior. There is just not much foam between the seat cover and the pan on Corbin seats.
Yours does not sound like the solo seat. I would guess it would feel different.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
I have a Corbin on my ZR-7 that I bought used and have had it for just about a year now and it's still good. It formed to my seating position fairly quickly (less than 50 miles).
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top