V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday was a beautiful day in So Cal. Great day for a Toy Run. Lisa, my girlfriend completed her 500 break-in on her new FXDL on the way over to Glendale H/D. I could tell the exact instant she completed the 500 miles, too. How could I tell when I was on my Dresser and she was on her Dyna? Well, when it happened she blew by me like I was standing still!!!! She turned that TC-88 loose and led us the rest of the way over to the dealership. Once there, we had enjoyed a pancake breakfast sponsored by the local HOG chapter. Then we wandered around the Dealership a bit. While in the Dealership, I got to see some real calm and restraint exhibited by the sales staff. A customer sat on a new Dyna and then "dropped it", banging into another bike parked nearby. The sales guy actually seemed more interested in the customer on the floor (bike on top) than the bike. When the customer was able to get up, she even offerred to pay for the tweaking to the bike. The salesman declined the offer. Must have been the holiday spirt! Short ride down to Skid Row, Downtown LA, but nearly 1500 bikes made the trip, led by Santa on a Fire Truck. On the ride down, there were lots of folks standing on the street, cheering us on. Once there, it was a pretty intense experience: the smells and sights of Skid Row, and the thousands of kids and mothers waiting for a mere chance to get a toy. I was glad to not hang around too long. Pleasant ride home. Less than a hundred miles for the day. But the day gave me time to reflect on how fortunate I am. I have a Harley. I have a girl who rides her own. I've got my health and a little money. And I live in the United States of America. Let's roll.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
We had a good toy run too. The big local M/C organized it and the turnout was great, over 1000 bikes. The day was a little cold in the morning but the sun was out, and we had a catered breakfast at the local Eagle's Lodge where we staged the bikes. A good opportunity to say hello to some old friends. Then we all rode over to the Child Crisis Center where the kids got to pick their toys. While for some it was a rare photo opportunity due to who was in attendance, for me it was a pleasure to see the smiles on the faces of the kids, and it was good that there was more then one toy for each kid. I actually hung around for quite a while wondering what's wrong with people these days, as there was certainly nothing wrong with the kids.
Then the bikes staged again and we all rode to a party with a band. Here I did not hang for long, and since it had turned into a beautiful day I decided instead to ride alone into the foothills of Cave Creek. When I got back it was dark and cold. Good day.

Next week we have another huge run organized by W. Steven Martin, the DJ at a local country station, that usually draws close to 5000 bikes. Good run, but not the same, it's the present and maybe the future as opposed to a trip down memory lane.

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
Sounds like a good ride PJ. I am sure that there are kids that will not forget this Christmas because of giving people.

I usually try to make as many toy runs as my schedule will allow. I not only like to be with friends and see the bikes but I like the idea of helping families that otherwise may not have much of a Christmas for their kids. I think Christmas is most importantly for kids. These rides give me an opportunity to do what I like to do and with the knowledege that the gifts and donations are helping out a child.

I missed a toy ride Saturday but made one Sunday. It was a small ride that was sponsored by a H.O.G. chapter and Goe HD in a small town nearby me. The turn out was only 500 bikes with a fairly short ride ending up at a park in a neihboring town. The donations were given to the Salvation Army. They loaded the Salvation army truck with toys and said that although there were less bikes than last year that the cash donations doubled. Of course they said how much it was appreciated by the needy families but I couldn't hear all that was said. But it was well worth the ride evn though it was kind of a bustery day.

One thing that always seems to be true on these rides is that there are many riders that do not have any experience with group riding. We had strings of non-staggered bikers like ducks in a row in places and of course an occasional sportbike wheelie popper. Very few sport bikes there as usual though. I usually give these people plenty of room. I think although these rides are great, I think some of the organizers should at least pass out a few simple rules of group riding at registration. Some of these guys probably didn't know that they were creating a hazard for themselves and others. So, you people riding on these toy runs be extra careful around these new guys and showoffs.

Ride Safe,
FifthGear

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
HIPPO said:

Next week we have another huge run organized by W. Steven Martin, the DJ at a local country station, that usually draws close to 5000 bikes. Good run, but not the same, it's the present and maybe the future as opposed to a trip down memory lane.
5000 bike ride!,,,,,now that's a huge ride. I bet you see a lot of interesting things on a ride that size.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Not really. On one side I tend not to worry too much about what others do and on the other there are only so many bikes that are going to be near yours anyway, regardless of the total number of bikes.
The big runs open to anyone, and we have several of these a year, are a different thing for me. I don't consider them my group, I wish them the best, but they are not my problem.
I almost always take a wingman to this type of run, we always ride two up, and no one gets past two baggers with "engine guards" unless they take a long way around. You would be amazed at how well two big bikes used to ride together can defend each other. Works well at big rallies too. Can't recall ever having a problem.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Sounds like you guys had fun

Unfortunately, I put my bike in hibernation on the 19th of November. Thats the day we had freezing rain and the temperature dropped nearly 20 degrees overnight. We also had a few inches of snow....

I went ahead and rode the bike over to my wrenches shop since I was planning on tearing the rear end apart for some more chrome. Oh, forgot to mention that my rear wheel from Hallcraft started flaking chrome, so I had to tear it down anyways...called the manufacturer and they told me to mail it back, no problem.

Got the wheel back, just waiting on the rest of the nuts and bolts to come back from the chrome platers. (He was backed up 3 weeks :mad: )

Since dropping the bike off 3 weeks ago, the weather has been in the mild to mid 60's. NOT ONE OUNCE OF BAD WEATHER since the bike has been gone. It has been cool, but sunny and VERY rideable.

And you all know what happens when I get it back next week right?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts