V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use any of the new Sumax Lowboy fenders? They look real nice on their site. I was looking for any real world feedback. Are they easy to install? Do you need to do any modifications etc. Thanks
Tim

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
cs1 said:
Anyone use any of the new Sumax Lowboy fenders? They look real nice on their site. I was looking for any real world feedback. Are they easy to install? Do you need to do any modifications etc. Thanks
Tim

Tim, I have one on the back of my Dyna. It looks terrific! Take much care when lining it up to drill your mounting holes, and tape over the fender where the holes will go before drilling. It keeps the holes smooth. It is very strong, looks great and nobody knows it's composite unless I tell them. I have had no trouble with the Sumax in two years using it. I did have trouble with another brand of fiberglass fender. But not the sumax composite. I trimmed the sides a bit to my liking. Regular old grinder. Also I epoxied the wiring conduit under the fender for a more secure attachment. I did not like the way it was attached.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rickr01 said:
Tim, I have one on the back of my Dyna. It looks terrific! Take much care when lining it up to drill your mounting holes, and tape over the fender where the holes will go before drilling. It keeps the holes smooth. It is very strong, looks great and nobody knows it's composite unless I tell them. I have had no trouble with the Sumax in two years using it. I did have trouble with another brand of fiberglass fender. But not the sumax composite. I trimmed the sides a bit to my liking. Regular old grinder. Also I epoxied the wiring conduit under the fender for a more secure attachment. I did not like the way it was attached.
Thanks the picture on their website with it looks great. I am trying to get an FL or Fat Boy front end on the bike and want the fender to complete the look.

Tim

·
Registered
9 Posts
What is in the budget

I just went through the process of changing fenders on my Fatboy. There are many different types to choose from. Before I purchased the ones I did I checked with the best painters and fabricators in my area for their professional opinion. Hands down if you can afford it go with steel. It may cost a whole lot more but it is worth it if you love your bike and are not going to sell it anytime soon. Composite is cheap for a reason. I went with Milwaukee Iron strutless bandit fender. Believe me even with everyone’s advice this was still a long road. The first fender was a nice one from RWD but it was not long enough and the fit was not right. YOU MUST remember that custom is just that, custom. I went in thinking I would just have some holes drilled and it would line up, wrong! If you want the fender to flow along the line of the wheel it may need to be trimmed, adding more cost and time. I finally went with the strutless fender and I am so happy I did. I did remove the struts but then it bolted right on. The thing is a solid rolled 14 gauge steel fender. Feels like a Cadillac fender. My paint guy said it was worth ever penny due to the fact that it needed no bodywork. Other fenders, composite need lots of bodywork usually to make up for manufacturing flaws. So you pay less at the beginning but you pay big at the end. Plus for me I know I have only one shot at making my bike as nice as I can afford. So I went over budget and went with steel. The end result is worth it. Oh almost forgot that my perfect Corbin solo seat no longer fit on the fender and a custom pan had to be built. See when you say “custom” it means make sure you have extra $$ in the budget. I’ll post a pic later. A long fender with a flush mounted taillight is hot. When I first started I did not know much about fender choices but one thing I did know was I never wanted to say these words to myself, “wow you can hardly tell it’s plastic.” Good look with you choice. Just don’t drill until you’re sure and save those receipts!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Attilio said:
I just went through the process of changing fenders on my Fatboy. There are many different types to choose from. Before I purchased the ones I did I checked with the best painters and fabricators in my area for their professional opinion. Hands down if you can afford it go with steel. It may cost a whole lot more but it is worth it if you love your bike and are not going to sell it anytime soon. Composite is cheap for a reason. I went with Milwaukee Iron strutless bandit fender. Believe me even with everyone’s advice this was still a long road. The first fender was a nice one from RWD but it was not long enough and the fit was not right. YOU MUST remember that custom is just that, custom. I went in thinking I would just have some holes drilled and it would line up, wrong! If you want the fender to flow along the line of the wheel it may need to be trimmed, adding more cost and time. I finally went with the strutless fender and I am so happy I did. I did remove the struts but then it bolted right on. The thing is a solid rolled 14 gauge steel fender. Feels like a Cadillac fender. My paint guy said it was worth ever penny due to the fact that it needed no bodywork. Other fenders, composite need lots of bodywork usually to make up for manufacturing flaws. So you pay less at the beginning but you pay big at the end. Plus for me I know I have only one shot at making my bike as nice as I can afford. So I went over budget and went with steel. The end result is worth it. Oh almost forgot that my perfect Corbin solo seat no longer fit on the fender and a custom pan had to be built. See when you say “custom” it means make sure you have extra $$ in the budget. I’ll post a pic later. A long fender with a flush mounted taillight is hot. When I first started I did not know much about fender choices but one thing I did know was I never wanted to say these words to myself, “wow you can hardly tell it’s plastic.” Good look with you choice. Just don’t drill until you’re sure and save those receipts!

I disagree on quality being only in metal! I am a hard seell, and at one point in time fiberglass was not the greatest. Rough and hard to paint smoothly, chipped etc. Not any more! The Sumaax composit is strong smooth and ready to paint. I have had one going on my third year, and it is fantastic and excellent quality. The shapes you can get are also hard to acheive and smooth out in metal. I still think metal is a great choice, but I feel that a quality composit is equally as good and I find a ton of advantages over metal, particulary on the dirt roads I live on!

·
Premium Member
5,217 Posts
Attilio said:

I disagree on quality being only in metal! I am a hard sell, and at one point in time fiberglass was not the greatest. Rough and hard to paint smoothly, chipped etc. Not any more! The Sumaax composit is strong smooth and ready to paint. I have had one going on my third year, and it is fantastic and excellent quality. The shapes you can get are also hard to acheive and smooth out in metal. I still think metal is a great choice, but I feel that a quality composit is equally as good and I find a ton of advantages over metal, particulary on the dirt roads I live on!

·
Registered
3 Posts
bought a back end kite big bags ,fender all plug and play. had to pay twice on one left lid and the right was out so bad at the gap was thee times the size needed bolts to make the hard ware fit so the bag can be used called e-maild Sumax no response called the company no return calls or e-mail fixing or rendering a solution to some shady workmanship. still waiting for someone to take some responcabilty to there product and customer serves

1 - 7 of 7 Posts