V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to a bit of bad luck, I've purchased a 120R, it will be installed soon. It shall be used more in touring in lew of the previous adventures....riding style and outlook changed a bit. As a result I would like to have a quieter exhaust system, the D&D Boarzilla is just to loud. The man in California is cracking down as well.

What are some recommendations for a quiet high performing exhaust system, be it two into one, or true duals, or slip ons (08 Ultra Classic)

A system that will not wake society and nature for miles around is preferred.

A little help please. I'm losing my hearing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This set up made my sled much more ear friendly.

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Did you call D&D and see what they could do for you. I thought they were making a quite baffle for their big exhausts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Due to a bit of bad luck, I've purchased a 120R, it will be installed soon. It shall be used more in touring in lew of the previous adventures....riding style and outlook changed a bit. As a result I would like to have a quieter exhaust system, the D&D Boarzilla is just to loud. The man in California is cracking down as well.

What are some recommendations for a quiet high performing exhaust system, be it two into one, or true duals, or slip ons (08 Ultra Classic)

A system that will not wake society and nature for miles around is preferred.

A little help please. I'm losing my hearing.
Are you going to change you name to "Good Disposition"?:hystria:
Just a little humor on a Sat. AM

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 2wheel, the S&S sounds promising. I've never heard of them...good information. If they fit on the D&D and are the same length, cool deal.

Indian, I already have the D&D quiet baffle, it's still to d*m loud.

As for the name change, ha! after the recent mishap with a piece of S**T 124 build, no I'm still grumpy and mean as ever. I'm not sure the 120r will be as bad as the 124, but it will suffice.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I put a Supertrap car muffler on my Boarzilla headpipe and am very happy with the result. Not expensive either. Many are buying the 120r and most are leaving them alone for the most part due to similar issues, so you are not alone. The MOCO hit the ball in deep left with that motor.

·
Still the Same!
1,781 Posts
I put a Supertrap car muffler on my Boarzilla headpipe and am very happy with the result. Not expensive either. Many are buying the 120r and most are leaving them alone for the most part due to similar issues, so you are not alone. The MOCO hit the ball in deep left with that motor.
I'm going to look into making a Bosstrapp. I have the Boss exhaust with the concentric baffle, and it is simply too loud.

Someone should post up some "how Tos' and list parts to try, etc. Phil... you and I could BOTH convert our D&Ds into quieter pipes. I've thought about it, the 120 sounds BAD ASS with True Duals, and who cares if that sucks a few from the bottom... but it IS all about $$$ and I think re-using a good head pipe with a Supertrapp can is THE way to go.:coffee:@gree:

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I have a Supertrapp on my 120. I was running 24 discs w/closed end cap. I thought I should run more but someone convinced me to knock it down to 18 and it does run better. I figured that the 120 needed a little less backpressure since the ST header pipes are smaller than the D&D but it looks like I was wrong. So I'm happy with the performance and the quieter sound.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don,

Perhaps you have a couple of pictures and can post a model number of the set-up you mentioned?

A brief description of how too as wurk said, would be super cool too.

I thought about using your concept but never put pen to paper, and do not see why it would not work. At this point anything is better than the noise coming from Boarzilla's can.

Phil

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
I have one of these as well, waiting til i go back to Jd's this winter. Here is the post i found from PhilM on HDF. Hope he doesnt mind me reposting, not sure if he comes around here much any more. This set yp ran great on his HQ120 and Tman 124!

It's a SuperTrapp 443-2524. I got it here: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUP-443-2524/

It fits right on the collector, but I had to make a rear hanger for it. I simply used a spare pipe hanger (HD piece that slides in the rubber grommet below bags) and welded it to the pipe (upside down), after I welded two threaded couplers (like 1" wide nuts, from hardware store) to the bracket. It works GREAT!

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thank you sir.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hi guys,
I have also D&D did anyone try to wrap baffle with fiberglass to make it quiet.
Have you tried it? I've been told there is not enough room.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
you might consider one of wegners supertrapp built mufflers,to use with the zillia head pipe.
just my take on the wegner 2-1. on my 120r .
it is too much head pipe for the 120r as a crate. now in your case ? your looking at 11.1 compression so it IMO will start to make use of those huge head pipes.
but bolting one of these wegner S/T mufflers to a zilla head pipe is something I would like to try for sure,on my 120r @ 10.3 compression. using other mufflers on the wegner head pipe hasent changed the tq. curve any. just flat as kansas.
I have posted before about my tq. loss (on paper at WOT) with the wegner vs R/H T/D. the wegner is a race built 2-1 designed to make WOT HP. so while I lost tq. numbers on the dyno sheet I made the same HP. the bike feels better everywhere with the wegner,runs cooler than any harley I have ever owned, I have ridden downtown in big citys around and around the block looking for parking and never hit EITMS. so it stays for now.
quiet wont be a problem:)

you can hear them here on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&feature=related&hl=en-GB&v=hXXMmiB_caw

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Noted, thank you sir.

·
Premium octane member
7,381 Posts
Jim do you know if Wegner sells the muffler separately?

Rob might chime in but not much luck packing the zilla baffle.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
That's right, packing the standard zilla muffler didn't quite do the trick. The outer shell of the muffler needs to be cut off to do it. I now have the quiet baffle. It is much quieter, still pretty loud, but a lot less noise gets to the rider. I still wear ear plugs though, so I know what BD means. A little quieter would be nice.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
Jim do you know if Wegner sells the muffler separately?
just based on conversations with Casey I think they will.
they are also working on smaller head-pipe versions. and a system that fits under stock shields.

·
FNG
1,132 Posts
Stroker, that is the quietest pipe I've ever heard, must be nice on the road, but I didn't see any clips on throttle so I wonder if the tone changes significantly?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts