V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched a little and any info I found was several years old...

I've been considering buying a legal weapon for home defense. Never owned a legal firearm before but no criminal record or any reason why I couldn't. I have owned a few (as in 3) weapons in the past, although this was a long time ago, and all were unregistered and were sold when we first had kids.

Anyway, what's considered best weapon for family/home defense? There's no children in my house now, so that's a worry I won't have. I've only talked to a few local gun owners who all own several various weapons. Some suggest double action handgun, and some have suggested short barrelled shotgun. I'm hoping for something that's easy to handle, easy to prepare to fire, and with good stopping power. I also wouldn't mind something I could shoot every now and again just for fun/practice.

I'm in Maryland, so concealed carry isn't an option.

What fits the bill best, and why?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
My weapon of choice, simple and easy to use. I prefer #4 buckshot, won't penetrate walls but will take anyone down at close range unless they're wearing armor, even then it will still knock them on their ass... :D

·
Banned
10,126 Posts
My goto weapon is a Benelli Supernova Tactical 12 gauge pump shotgun, two rounds buckshot followed by slugs.. Handguns are great, they are portable, but they are more of a defensive weapon that you use to buy time until you can get to a rifle or shotgun which is a much more effective weapon.

I also have a few handguns in the house. I have a hard time choosing between what my favorite handgun is. My best handgun and the one I would keep if I could only have one is a Les Baer Thunder Ranch 1911... But I am also fond of the HK USP's, Sig Sauer 226 and Sig 210.

Whichever weapon you choose you should try as many as you can before you purchase, lots of ranges / clubs have rentals you can use to figure out what you are comfortable with. It is important that the weapon fits you, that you are capable of performing all the operations comfortably and efficiently. Once you make the choice do not put it in a closet and think you are going to be prepared. Take classes, practice, use the weapon (tool) frequently to ensure you are proficient.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
My weapon of choice, simple and easy to use. I prefer #4 buckshot, won't penetrate walls but will take anyone down at close range unless they're wearing armor, even then it will still knock them on their ass... :D

I have one too. Mainly so mama has something she doesn't have to aim so carefully. She laughed and said that she won't ever have to use it, that just the sound of her jacking a shell in will scare the intruder(s) off.

It's fun to play with too.

joe

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like the looks of that. How many shells does it hold? and can you give me the make and model number by chance?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I really like the looks of that. How many shells does it hold? and can you give me the make and model number by chance?
That is a Mossberg 500, comes in various versions, this just the basic no bullshit model... :D Holds 6 shells..

·
Registered
95 Posts
Have a 20 gauge (short) doublebarrel shotgun for home... no aiming involved, and won't have to rebuild the whole house when used. I do love the idea of the sound of a shell being jacked into the chamber. Would like to see the look on the intruders face when he heard that. :clap:

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
[/QUOTE]

If your only goal is home defense, this is absolutely the way to go.
Riding with friends,
Geoff of NV

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like Mossberg 500 it is.

·
Outsider
1,339 Posts
In a handgun, .38 special 4" revolver. Cheap, simple to use, no safety to forget, never jams, and goes bang every time you pull the trigger. Load it with some +P hollowpoints and it's quite effective.

The #1 piece of advice: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

PS: Shotguns are WONDERFUL, but in a panic sutuation will you forget to chamber a round? Will you remember the safety? A shotgun takes training for its use to become second nature. If you have never shot guns before, maybe start with a revolver.

just sayin'

·
Outsider
1,339 Posts
Something else...

People tend to believe that with a shotgun you can't miss. you point in the general direction and it'll cover the target. WRONG.

At close ranges the shot doesn't spread much.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I really like the looks of that
Don't buy based on "looks". We changed over some of our 870's to that configuration and hated it. ? Tough on the hands with buckshot. They were all changed back.

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,765 Posts
Don't buy based on "looks". We changed over some of our 870's to that configuration and hated it. ? Tough on the hands with buckshot. They were all changed back.
Changed back to what?

joe

·
Live Free or Die
8,686 Posts
Regardless of the type of weapon you buy, I would recommend practice firing from alternate positions. By that I mean, fire from positions you could likely find yourself in. In the Army, we qualify one way but practice shooting from alternate positions. As an example, from the hood or gun turret of a HMMWV, up a hill-- situations we are liely to find ourselves shooting from/in. That same principle should be applied to home defense.

·
Registered
208 Posts
def a shotgun, I want a mossberg with a folding stock. shotguns are the most dependable weapons Ive ever used. NEVER had a misfire.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I suppose if you're putting 20-30 rounds through it it might be, I take mine out every once and a while to put few through it just to make sure I'm still proficient, but it's not meant to be a range gun...

1 - 20 of 80 Posts