V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I patiently await (yeah, right) the arrival of my new Street Bob:wootdnc:--in about five weeks-- :hystria: I figure it a good idea to dive into some good H-D related reading.

Into any topic, but would like to get into some of the mechanics of the bike.

This'll be my first Harley, so something not too technical to start with (tear downs, rebuilds, etc.) :huh: for a first-time owner would be great.

So, what do ya'll think would make good readin' in the evenin'?

Man, I can't wait to get this bike:wootdnc: Finally think I'm gonna settle down for a long-term relationship with this one...just like the beautiful woman I'm now blessed with :banana:

·
Banned
873 Posts
The factory manual is the best $50 you'll ever spend on your bike.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
The H-D shop manual is the best introduction to your bike. Its not too technical and it covers quite abit. I find the manual interesting to read. I highly reccomend it as a good introduction to your bike.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Pay the $15 to become a premium member so that you view pictures (and support this wonderful site)...best $15 I've spent. Lot of informative stuff available at your fingertips...just search, and 90% of the time you'll find someone that has already asked that question. This site is better than any book you can read.:coffee:

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your new bike!

The Genuine Harley-Davidson Service Manual, Genuine Harley-Davidson Parts Manual, and Genuine Harley-Davidson Electrical Diagnostic Manual specific to your year and model Harley-Davidson should be on your list of "must haves" for your bike. They are pretty straightforward, familiarizing yourself with with the contents is a good idea - carefully read chapter 1 on service. On the other chapters read the "intro" sections and browse the rest for right now.

Harley Hog's Lair (link below) is a very useful site:

http://www.harleyhog.co.uk/

One of the links on his page (below) is to a pdf file for the Predelivery and Setup Manual for 2006 HD models. This pdf is a good intro to your bike and also shows you what your dealer should have done when you pick up your new bike.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/hhlairinstructions/2006PredeliveryandSetup.pdf

Harley-Davidson's own web site has lots of useful information. As this is your first Harley, a read of their "History" page will be useful.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Content/Pages/H-D_History/history.jsp?locale=en_US

At your local book store you might scan through "101 Harley-Davidson Twin Cam Performance Projects" by Zimmerman and Hacket.

This Forum is also an excellent source of information. Like any forum opinions vary so read carefully.

Good luck with your new ride!

added: One of the best books you can get is one that is BLANK. When I got my 2005 FXDI, a friend suggested that I get a blank book and keep a log. Great idea. I've written down every trip, gas fill, maintenance, service, etc. I also have useful (to me) information written down. Throw it in the saddlebag - a diary for the bike.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I recommend the classic "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" to put your head in the zone before you put a wrench in your hand!

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
Pay the $15 to become a premium member so that you view pictures (and support this wonderful site)...best $15 I've spent. Lot of informative stuff available at your fingertips...just search, and 90% of the time you'll find someone that has already asked that question. This site is better than any book you can read.:coffee:
Yeah, the oil threads ALONE are priceless ... :whistle:

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
TomB said:

TomB, you are an interesting personality as I read your posts. Always in character. I may not always like your post but they all make me smile. :bleh:

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
TomB said:
I was thinking more along the lines of who's a Folder or who's a Scruncher...too bad there were no pictures. LMAO!

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
I was thinking more along the lines of who's a Folder or who's a Scruncher...too bad there were no pictures. LMAO!
Pictures?!?!? ... you sir, are just not right in the head ... :roflback:

·
Retired
1,835 Posts
The day I put my order in for my bike,I bought the service manual and parts catalog. This was my first Harley and I knew more about it than my salesperson when I picked up the bike. When riding my bike home I noticed it had the infamous wide glide front end clunk,which I had already read about in this forum. I knew how to fix it myself,so no trip back to the dealer. I believe that wrenchin' yer own,makes it yer own.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.