V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Night train with injection. When Purchased dealer installed
Big radious pipes screamin eagle air cleaner and the racing module rather than mapping.

From the start I was averaging 47 miles the gallon. In spetember I changed out the fuel cap and guage with no problems.

However for the lastr several tanks I have been getting about 30 miles to the gallon????

Any thoughts on what could cause this radical change. The weather here in PA has not changed that much and I have check the tire pressure. Actually added a little but nothing major

Thanks rich

·
Registered
675 Posts
The starting point is to look at your plugs. If they're dark and sooty, and I bet they are, I think the starting point is to check or have the dealer check the SE module. It could be something more exotic or more subtle, but the module is the obvious first step.

Ragnar

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
My experience has been this: stock TC88 @ 53 mpg; Cycle Shack slip-ons, dealer Stage 1 download & SE A/C @ 47 mpg; V&H bigshots, dealer Stage 1 download, SE A/C and DFO (2.5, 2.5, 3.5, 4.75) @ 43 mpg. But I am making way more power and it is way more fun to twist up. I expected to (1) make more power and subsequently (2) make less mileage. Maybe play with your Fueler, it has specific settings to try if your mileage is piss-poor.

·
Premium Member
3,288 Posts
myillearth said:
From the start I was averaging 47 miles the gallon. In spetember I changed out the fuel cap and guage with no problems.

However for the lastr several tanks I have been getting about 30 miles to the gallon????

Thanks rich
Did you check your odometer? Just run it for 20-30 miles on the interstate and compare odometer readings to the markers. There have been issues with odometers......... Look at the plugs to verify fuel mix.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
If your using the Harley Race Fueler then trash it. I had the same problem with my Ultra. Got incredibly poor mileage even after a Dynojet guy tried to dial it in.That thing is not precise at all for all ranges. Spend the money and get a Race Tuner. Or second choice would be a Power Commander. But the Race Tuner is the "mac daddy". With the 95" kit, SE Perf heads, Woods TW5-G cams, roller rockers, Rineharts my bike gets anywhere from 40-44mpg with killer power.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have had an experience when riding in high winds, head wind to be exact in high winds. that my fuel mileage was terrible. I can't see that your always heading into the wind so that shouldn't be it, but just a thought. It's been real windy around hear lately, gusts to 50mph some days.

good luck and ride safe.

·
Banned
202 Posts
My fuel consumption goes way up when some cager is tail-gating me on the highway when I am doing 80 mph.

It usually is due to the fact that I hit the throttle and average 95 to 100 mph to try put some space in between me and the car behind me...

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
headwinds and stuff

{salute( I'm obsessive about checking my mileage, and have noticed that many factors come into play. On my unenhanced Fatboy w/PCIIusb, big shots staggered and SE breather I get 44 mpg keeping it at or below 70 and 40 mpg in town. Put on the bags (wide bossbags), mileage drops. Put on the windshield and it drops more. Go 75+ w/bags & windshield into a headwind and all of a sudden I'm at 32 mpg. Riding leisurely w/the old lady on the back (125 lbs) and I'm at 40 rather than 44. Don't know if the odometer is accurate or not, doesn't matter for internal comparative purposes.

Lefty

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To all who helped

Thanks for all the great input

I checked the plugs and they are not fouled, Check the air filter and it is clean. Even blew it out. Double checked th odometer against the highway and still about 30 miles to the gallon.

So still being under warranty the dealer asked that I bring it in and have it all chaeked out. Clam they will check the module, injection system an so on. Not to thrilled about dealer service specially after some of the horror stories but warranty is warranty.

Will let ya know the answer (if dealer figures it out) next week.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
I saw the Race Fueler in the SE catalog. I've not heard of many people using them yet. Apparently it's HD's answer to the DFO. I personally would be rather displeased if the thing dropped my mileage that much. I'd try to lean it out and if it won't come around, I'd offer it back to HD. (Ha) .

Probably, from what I've read, the PCIII or SERT are the two best choices.

Good luck.

·
0043--Licensed to Doof!
4,369 Posts
It's that time of year here on the East Coast. In NJ, the EPA just stopped using MTBE (or what ever the initials are for the additive) and everyone's gas mileage went in the toilet. Are your stations in Philly still using that additive? If so, say hello to $h1ty mileage until March or April.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
Geezer-Glide said:
It's that time of year here on the East Coast. In NJ, the EPA just stopped using MTBE (or what ever the initials are for the additive) and everyone's gas mileage went in the toilet. Are your stations in Philly still using that additive? If so, say hello to $h1ty mileage until March or April.
:hmmm: MTBE lowers mileage not the other way around.:whisper: (fewer btu's of energy available per gallon if mtbe is in the mix.)

Joe

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
answer / additional question

Took bike back to dealer and problem remained. Took bike to non dealer mechanic one who is power commander Qualified (do not laugh). Anyway they claim the bike was never set up right. The fueler point was setr to high and I was also set up way to lean. Bottem line to much fuel at idle and additional consumption from there. Aslo since it is so lean the hot muggy weather was actually helping and the cooler better weather was having an adverse effect. Dyno shows a signifigant increase in both horsepower and torq.

Anyway It all seems good. The bike is running better and fuel is consistant.

QUESTION

I told the shop to go ahead and change the fluids and put in amsoil (which is the only fluid they use). They called and mentioned they saw a bit more shavings on the primary than they like and offered two solutions.

1. make note for next service
2. Pull primary and check it out.

I told them to make note and I would keep an eye on it. They said ok and did not push the issue.

Question is did I make the right choice??? Or am I on the way to bigger problems???

4900 miles. Had the oil changed at 1000 miles. (Dealer)then I changed again at 3000 miles. Both times I used Syn 3 and I don't seem to recall any shavings and my clutch seems to be fine.

Opinions or input anyone.

Thanks

·
Registered
675 Posts
It sounds like your guy is onto something. An incorrect setting at idle can throw your mileage in the dumpster quickly. Regarding the primary, I'd leave it alone and check again at the next service. It's not like you'r finding shavings in the engine oil.

Ragnar

1 - 14 of 14 Posts