V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 98 FLHTC all of a sudden has developed seizures in the fuel guage. just recently the gauge needle goes all over the place once theres about 1 gallon shy of a full tank. and it keeps jumping around till almost empty.
Is there anything loose I should be looking for or am I due for a new gauge ?

·
Registered
366 Posts
The gauge on my FXSTD is not accurate when the light comes on and it shows "e" I still have couple gallons left

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have a 02 FLSTCI and after 17,000 my gauge is doing the same thing. I wonder of it could be some sort of fuel deposit on the float. There is a float right....?????

·
Registered
305 Posts
I suspect the "stuttering" fuel guages have a pinched wire, or other continuity problem someplace. Connections clean?

As far as the guage not reading correctly you have two choices: Live with it, or pull the top off and reach in and bend the float arm.

You probably won't get it to read lineraly across the entire range, but you can get it to read full when full, or nearly empty when nearly empty.

Easy to do, a word of advice - it's best to be conservative when bending the rod, ie. 1/4 inch bend makes a big difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The fuel gauge on my 99 fxdwg never really read right either. So, one time after a fuel fill up, I reset the trip meter and rode till i had to switch to reserve, made a mental note of what the trip meter read. Now what i do is ride with the trip meter displayed. Once I get near that mileage, I know where I stand in terms of fuel level.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had a 98 FLHTCUI that the fuel guage would start jumping toward empty when it was around 1/4 full. Traced this back to a loose connection near the fuel tank sending unit.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a 2002 EFI fatboy. Around 1500Mi the fuel gauge stuck on 3/4. Took it back in and the mech said that he had quite a few in with gauge problems. After they fixed it, along with a complimentary fill up, it seems to work fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts