V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy and I are thinking of going to the Sturgis rally this summer, 8/7-8/13. Probably stay 4 nights. Anyone know whether the beginning of the week is better or the later? Also, any decent places we could stay near town? We're travelling from Boston so we'd really prefer a motel, not a campgrounds, thanks.

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
the beginning of the week by far is the best part of the rally. but then you have to like the crowds, because that is when it is most crowded too.

if i was going to recommend any sort of camp grounds, i would recommend two diff ones. the first one would be lamphere, (close to glencoe, whom changed there prices this year and many are not going there, see the sturgis forum), and the other would be called elk view camp ground, its right along interstate 90, about 4 miles from sturgis. that one is also a good one, and has a good reputation for being clean and affordable

·
Registered
105 Posts
I agree with Ginger, we stayed at Elk Veiw in 2003 and it was real nice. Been staying at the Bullock in Deadwood since then, I'm not much of a camper.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any motels/hotels right in Sturgis itself? Meaning someplace that would be walking distance to the bars, etc.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
If there are, I would think you could book one now for next year (2007).

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
kevdog said:
Are there any motels/hotels right in Sturgis itself? Meaning someplace that would be walking distance to the bars, etc.
Yep, there's a few quality motels in Sturgis but getting a room is next to impossible especially the week before or during the first of the Rally. I have seen "Vacancy" signs toward the end of the week at the Best Western but they still were wanting close to $200.00 a night. You're better off trying to find something in Rapid City or Spearfish .....but you'd better start now.

A few friends over the years have lucked out at some of the Mom and Pop places in Rapid.

o~\o

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
oh, there are motels to be found, but the question is, is do you want to pay BIG BUCKS to stay in them for a week. honestly, i think if i was coming to the rally, in order to get the real feel for it, i would want to camp, and that is saying ALOT because i absolutely hate to camp. from what i hear and gather tho, the camping part after a days ride, or a day in town is lots of fun:brows:

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
YankeeBob said:
If there are, I would think you could book one now for next year (2007).
most don't let you book that far in advance

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
ginger said:
oh, there are motels to be found, but the question is, is do you want to pay BIG BUCKS to stay in them for a week. honestly, i think if i was coming to the rally, in order to get the real feel for it, i would want to camp, and that is saying ALOT because i absolutely hate to camp. from what i hear and gather tho, the camping part after a days ride, or a day in town is lots of fun:brows:
Going to agree big time with Ginger. We've camped everytime I've been to Sturgis, going to be my 20th year this year. There are plent of people downtown that will let you pitch a tent in their yards (back or front) for about $20.00 a night. You're within crawling distance from downtown. Meet a lot of great people and listen to bikes run up and down Junction all night. LoL!!

Having read your post I remembered that some friends are going up with this year but like you want a motel. Called him at lunch and they found two motels with rooms available, one in Wall (105 miles out) and one in Hot Springs, SD (85 miles). That is all they can find.

Can you say "guess we ought to camp out"??

Good luck!!

o~\o

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
again, i stress, i absolutely HATE to camp, but ya know, that is major part of the sturgis expierence, IMHO, but i guess it depends on if you want to rough it or not:banana:

·
Registered
206 Posts
ginger said:
"from what I hear and gather"?? Bwaahaa!! You're not the only one from that other board on here, Gingy! :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wherever you decide to stay, by all means go, if you've never been. I've been to most of the big rallys and to me, none of 'em hold a candle to Sturgis.
The riding out there is fantastic.

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
stanc said:
"from what I hear and gather"?? Bwaahaa!! You're not the only one from that other board on here, Gingy! :D

are you following me:clap:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Ya, I also "gather" that camping provides more fun. :yes:

Seriously, if you don't enjoy camping, you're looking at expensive motels, if you can find one. But worse than that, I'd hate to fight the traffic at the end of the day to get all the way back to the nearest motel. Much better to camp right there and enjoy the "scenery" that South Dakota has to offer.:cheers:

·
Registered
206 Posts
If you stay near Glencoe or the Chip, the traffic's gonna be she it e at the end of the day if you come from I-90. May be worse this year with Glencoe supposedly having their concerts starting at 4. But hey, that's part of Sturgis. Ain't it, Ginger? :cheers:

·
Registered
260 Posts
There are plent of people downtown that will let you pitch a tent in their yards (back or front) for about $20.00 a night. You're within crawling distance from downtown.
This sounds like the way to go. Is there any way to get showers in during the week? I've been to raleys that have the connected porta-john-type showers in the campgrounds. Just wondering about the layout in town.

I'm not trying to sound like a girlyman. I've went months without showers in the desert before(Cavalry). It's just that...I'd kinda like to meet people...without the stank.:)

Thanks

·
THE STURGIS QUEEN
2,920 Posts
when you come to the granddaddy of them all, you deal with the traffic. the sturgis rally didn't become so big with out the people that come here ya know. its fun. take your time, enjoy the views, the traffic and scenary:hmmm:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts