V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 FXRSC #3/1250 Original Owner
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going? Were you all staying? Any favorite rides you would like to share?
I'm going with 8 others. We stay in Rapid City. My favorite ride is Iron Mountain road with the tunnels that face Mt Rushmore and the pigtail bridges. I am always amassed that they cut those tunnels facing the monument using the crude instruments that they had back then.
Badlands wall to Interior to Scenic is a close second.

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
This would be the year to go without crowds. The year gas went to 4 bucks a gallon was great at the Myrtle Beach rally, because the cars stayed home.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,725 Posts
Good point , may reconsider
Ray where do you live at approximately? I have a buddy in Indiana rode there, but he is closer than I am 30 miles from the big pond. Hells bells it is something spectacular 10 times better than Myrtle Beach. I went when I was 39 and could take the heat cuz the hills are an oasis in the desert. Take twice as much money that you think you need and you be fine. Gawd I wish I could go again.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ray where do you live at approximately? I have a buddy in Indiana rode there, but he is closer than I am 30 miles from the big pond. Hells bells it is something spectacular 10 times better than Myrtle Beach. I went when I was 39 and could take the heat cuz the hills are an oasis in the desert. Take twice as much money that you think you need and you be fine. Gawd I wish I could go again.

I’m all the way in New Orleans, I rode there 20 years ago. But I’m 64 now & don’t know if the old body callus gandke it anymore
221066"]

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
16,954 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I don't care were going even if they cancel it. We go into Sturgis once in the morning. Let people do their shopping. The rest of the week we are out doing 200 plus miles a day then back in Rapid by dark. I try not to be in the hills after dark.

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
35 Posts
I'm going with 8 others. We stay in Rapid City. My favorite ride is Iron Mountain road with the tunnels that face Mt Rushmore and the pigtail bridges. I am always amassed that they cut those tunnels facing the monument using the crude instruments that they had back then.
My son and I stayed at Iron Horse Inn in Whitewood just about 7-8 miles north of sturgis. it was a nice Stay, away from the crowds,yet Close to the rally,covered parking for the bikes, (It rains) they had a washing and drying machines, Breakfast, band was playing, A bar, the town had restaurants gas station, you know Ect. with less crowds.
We were going to go this year but, It's not going to be the same, maybe the Nude painted Girls walking around will be the same only with a mask on. less Venders , and I heard no Bands playing at Buffalo chip, just Rumor.
I really wanted to see and hear lynyrd skynyrd

·
Registered
35 Posts
My son and I stayed at Iron Horse Inn in Whitewood just about 7-8 miles north of sturgis. it was a nice Stay, away from the crowds,yet Close to the rally,covered parking for the bikes, (It rains) they had a washing and drying machines, Breakfast, band was playing, A bar, the town had restaurants gas station, you know Ect.

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is the second time when I reply it puts a duplicate reply.
Sorry I do not know why it does it.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There are plenty of bands playing at the chip and elswhere . There is no stupid mandatory mask rule in in South Dakota.Sturgis never even closed it's restaurants and bars. Whitewood is a nice place to stay. There are plenty of nice places if you don't want to be in the crowds. There are plenty of rental small cabins in the black hills that I may stay in one of these years. If you stay in the hills you just have to be aware of the wildlife at dusk and at night. I stay at my friends in Rapid City because half the reason I go is to visit people in Rapid.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Black Hills road conditions

There are a few closures and construction projects to be aware of if you're coming for the 80th, we had a chance to get up into the northern hills today and saw the following. Any others?

Sheridan Lake Road - open but torn up between 385 and Rapid City mostly on the east end . Haven't been trough there for a few weeks but it was ugly in my truck, I would not recommend it on a bike. It's year one of a three year project.

Nemo Road - the S end toward Rapid is closed due to a bridge failure, it is accessible from 385 to Vannocker Canyon.

85 - torn up E of Lead between Rochford Road and Cheyenne Crossing , the gravel area was about a 2 mile stretch, they water and compact it but there are still a lot of golf ball sized rocks to drive over in places.

Spearfish Canyon - No road damage but crews are still removing trees from the tornado that went through there about 10 days ago. I would guess they will not be working during the rally but if you come next week you may have to wait for the crews trimming and removing trunks. The damage is incredible with full hillsides of trees snapped off midway up.

·
Registered
69 Posts

There are a few closures and construction projects to be aware of if you're coming for the 80th, we had a chance to get up into the northern hills today and saw the following. Any others?

Sheridan Lake Road - open but torn up between 385 and Rapid City mostly on the east end . Haven't been trough there for a few weeks but it was ugly in my truck, I would not recommend it on a bike. It's year one of a three year project.

Nemo Road - the S end toward Rapid is closed due to a bridge failure, it is accessible from 385 to Vannocker Canyon.

85 - torn up E of Lead between Rochford Road and Cheyenne Crossing , the gravel area was about a 2 mile stretch, they water and compact it but there are still a lot of golf ball sized rocks to drive over in places.

Spearfish Canyon - No road damage but crews are still removing trees from the tornado that went through there about 10 days ago. I would guess they will not be working during the rally but if you come next week you may have to wait for the crews trimming and removing trunks. The damage is incredible with full hillsides of trees snapped off midway up.
My son and I stayed at Iron Horse Inn in Whitewood just about 7-8 miles north of sturgis. it was a nice Stay, away from the crowds,yet Close to the rally,covered parking for the bikes, (It rains) they had a washing and drying machines, Breakfast, band was playing, A bar, the town had restaurants gas station, you know Ect. with less crowds.
We were going to go this year but, It's not going to be the same, maybe the Nude painted Girls walking around will be the same only with a mask on. less Venders , and I heard no Bands playing at Buffalo chip, just Rumor.
I really wanted to see and hear lynyrd skynyrd
I’m going to try to ride my 2010 FXDC. From New Orleans to Sturgis ????

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well thanks for the info. I just spoke to Cheryl and she knew about them except for spearfish canyon. She is going to check on it. That screws up a few of our usual routes but we will have to find detours.
Funny thing is is the first day I was going to run Sheridan Lake to 385 to look a some property then run over to Travinos Leathers to get my chaps worked on. Guess I will be going up 44. I hate 16 my good friend Pat O had a fatal car accident just up past the turn for rushmore

1 - 20 of 29 Posts