V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well have not had my new sporty but just over a month and last night I was putting it under the car port and had it on the stand and deceided to move it up a little and forgot the kickstand goes up if you move it a little. I guess by now you know were I am going with this, I was standing to the side and did not have it balanced up fight and it went down on it's left side. I could have cried. Only damage was broke off the end of the clutch lever and put a scuff mark on the side of the engine. My qustion is I mite be able to buff the scuff mark out can anyone recommed something to use to buff it out. Alreadly order new levers, was not sure if you could buy one or not. I could just cried, at least I wasn't going 60MPH and did something stupid.

Oh Well

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I think most of us have been there on not quite having the jiffy stand caught when we thought we did. You aren't alone.

Try a fine metal polish on a soft cotton cloth LIGHTLY on the scuff. The excellent German polish AutoWenol or Wenol comes to mind, but there are many good polishes. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Metal polish

You might also try Flitz. I think they're web site is flitz.com. I use it for lots of stuff, including removing scuff marks (from my boot heel) on the chrome exhaust near the floorboard.
The only other concern might be the finish on the metal itself. Anyone know if there is any kind of "clear coat" or protective finish applied to the primary cover area etc.?
For what it's worth, don't feel like the Lone Ranger - My best stunt to date was a slow speed (2 or 3 mph) drop of a bagger on Daytona Beach! I cut the corner and the front wheel dug into the loose sand. Great rooster tail as I tried to power out - and slowly fell over, in front of God and the whole world.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Yeah,
My Sportster is my first bike - and all the roads around my house are gravel and on grades. I did very well except one time. Backing my bike out of garage onto an intersecting gravel slope. Foot slipped and tried to hold it up, but the only thing I could do was slow it down and dive to get the heck outta the way. Its not fun to see your bike flopping on the concrete like a fish outta water. Good thing no one was watching, because I was burning up mad too.
Flitz.com huh? I have been looking for something to take that burnt boot off of my pipes...

·
Registered
335 Posts
sad to say , been there done that, TWICE. once on the kick stand and once forgot to undo the steering head lock. fix it and learn from it. good luck.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Hey, the funny thing is ya probably never start ridein until ya banged up your first scoot some. The Harley gods are testing you. Lot of lost wind fretting a scratch. ;)

·
2003 1200 Custom S&B
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I will try some of your suggestions. Glad to see others have made similiar fu pals. If any one else has suggestions pass them along.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Got my own bang up story...

Went to pick up the Ironhead from the PO...he begged for one last ride....dropped it when he left the drive and the front wheel caught some gravel....watched as my new baby was banged up...could have cried....the PO was very big in the humble apology and paid for the damage...

At least it was him and not me...but, it was my baby by then....

My motto...you break it, you bought it...(GRIN)

DR

·
Registered
701 Posts
Sorry to hear about the bike. I did that a couple times on my dad's 77 FXLR w/custom paint and his GL1500 Goldwing. Another thing I learned was not to move a bike while wearing rollerblades. I guess that makes 2 strikes on the 77. One for each side. As for the Sporty, I did have the jiffy stand break on me but was lucky enough to catch her before she went down.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Dropped mine on the left side also. Me thinks it is better for it to drop on the left vs. the right, seems to do less damage on the left.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts