V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a close encounter with a 16D nail and the rear tire of my '01 Heritage. The bead broke letting the tube go floppy-floppy and it immediately wrapped itself around the drive belt. :yikes: About 3 wheel turns before I got stopped, I heard a clank. Closer examination during the autopsy showed the inner ring of the wheel pully had separated, (from the pully, not the tube.)

During the parts run, it became abundantly clear that wheel pullys are not something dealers keep on the shelves, at least not in a 75 mile radius of here. The only parts I could get locally was the polished AN pully at about $550 or so. Of course everyone could order me one and have it in a few weeks, assuming the holiday shipping traffic was light.

When I got my new 2-piece pully off, I noted the ring had been pressed and wedged in the first place. I straighten out the ring, pressed it back in place and applied a little JB Weld and clamps. While it does rank up there on the ugly scale, it would be well hidden with the bags.

Obvious next question is "Will it be safe?" When properly aligned, I can't see any significant side pressure on the pully. Did some bench testing and it seems fairly solid. I checked the balance and it appeared to be good. I did a few slow speed trials and it has held up so far. I intended to make a quick shop fix to get back on the rode while waiting for new parts. Better half is now asking just why I need a couple of hundred bucks during Christmas shopping season to fix what doesn't seem to be an urgent problem.

I'm looking for a good answer. Anyone happen to have one?:unsure:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
on a trip to yellowstone i picked up a stone with the rear tire,it put a hole through the belt and knocked the inside ring off the pully.i rode about 10 miles back to the motel with the ring jingling around on the wheel and axel.the motel had a hacksaw so i cut the ring and snaked it through one of the holes on the pully.i didn't know it was just pressed on.put it in the tour pac and went on with the trip. about 2 years later i needed a new rear tire so i took the ring off the nail on the wall it was hanging on and had one of the welders where i work weld up the ring where i cut it.got the weld buffed out and applied alittle flat black paint.if you didn't know it was welded you wouldn't know it was there.took the pully off and pushed the ring back on and peened the ring back on the pully.the belt lasted 11 more years before the teeth started to peel off but the hole in the belt never caused any problems.

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well THAT certainly seems to be a good answer! 11 Years kind of makes waiting until the New Year seem a reasonable risk.

:thanks: Grandma and Grandkids will be tickled to death to hear that Santa has a little extra budget available.~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
This just happened to me today. While riding in a toy run we made a left hand turn and I heard a ringing noise like a piece of metal just touching something enough to ring. Bike seemed fine but at the end of the run this steel ring from the inside of the rear pully was lying on the rear hub. Placed it back in position and squeezed on with my fingers and rode it home. Thinking about some JB weld to see if that will secure it. Called to local dealer and asked if they had ever heard of this and they said no and in a week and $170.00 dollars they would have a new one in.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I am sure that someone out there has one that they replaced with a pretty one, ask in pay-it-forward.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
OK
here's what I did for the inner steele ring. Removed the wheel after loosening the pully bolts while the bike was on the ground in first gear. Removed the pully, cleaned the surfaces where the ring and the pully meet, mixed up some JB weld, put a small drop of JB weld at each of the points on the pully where the factory peende the ring to the pully, then used a cole chisle on point and peende the pully to the ring again. Placed in oven at low heat for three hours, mowed yard, washed truck, placed pully to wheel and torqued to 50 ft lbs with two drops of red locktite per bolt, put wheel back on bike and will let it sit over night. The part number in the HD catalog for the 70 tooth pully is 40289-00 but on the inside of the pully is stamped 40306-00, any reason for this?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I just talked to a guy about this the other day. He had the same thing happen and his Indy wrench fixed it by drilling holes in the ring and screwing it back on some how. I didn't get to see it but he said that it was a nice fix for the problem. And it's a pretty common problem as I have heard of many people have it happen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts