V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is it considerded inappropreate(sp?) for a non veteran to salute the flag? i thought of this duing the Star Spangled Banner before the nascar race. just wondering.

·
Registered
875 Posts
not just a non vet, civilians also. If you watch anyone in civ clothes or even like vfw guys they put their hand over their heart.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Misguided is right. I'll just add a little to it.
In saluting the flag those present in uniform should render the military salute. When not in uniform, men should remove the hat with the right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Women, and men without hats, should place the right hand over the heart. Aliens should stand at attention.

·
Founder/Administrator
1,315 Posts
Soldiers NOT in uniform should stand at the position of attention facing the flag. And, if wearing hats they should also remove them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Dprice is right on, active duty military members are supposed to stand at the position of attention when not in uniform and salute when they are in uniform.

One other bit of info that I had heard before is that active military members are not supposed to recite the Pledge of Allegiance, you give your pledge when you raise your right hand to enlist. Might just be rumor, I have never been able to find this in writing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
36 UNITED STATES CODE, Section 172
TITLE 36 - PATRIOTIC SOCIETIES AND OBSERVANCES
CHAPTER 10 - PATRIOTIC CUSTOMS
The Pledge of Allegiance is not recited in military formations or ceremonies. At protocol functions, social, or sporting events which include civilian participants, military personnel should:
When in uniform, stand at attention, remain silent, face the flag and salute.
When in civilian attire, recite the pledge while standing at attention, facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men should remove headgear with the right hand and hold the right hand over the heart.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Wow, that was pretty informative -no sarcasm meant.

I guess it makes sense since we put our pledge in writing as well as action. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts