V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to the whole Harley/Biker lifestyle. Is there a purpose for the chain being on a biker wallet, or is it just to make it look cool ? Thanks !!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Today, the chain is an "accessory". At one time, when bikers slept on the ground/floor/where every they could, having your billfold "chained" was a necessity to avoid/reduce theft. Additionally, the chain was also helpful in a brawl. Now, it's mostly good for scratching your custom paint job.

I trust I fully answered your question.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
the chain is good for catching on your upper shock mont and making yu fall over.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
After your "unchained" wallet falls out on the road somewhere, you won't have to ask why people have chain drive wallets.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You might notice that some truck drivers also wear a wallet with a chain. it's always fun to be 500 miles away from home and reach for the wallet and it's gone. I lost my wallet in Houston once and some guy found it on the freeway. He finally got to me through my company using a credit card. I had left it on the bumper of the truck. By the way, it still had all the credit cards and $300 cash. If your wallet somehow comes out of your pocket on the road, chances are you'll never see it again.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
Chain drive wallets and double clutching boots. ;)

Roads used to be a lot rougher and motorcycles did not ride like the living room sofa.
Chain drive wallets prevented your wallet from falling out of your pocket after doing a monkey butt trick

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
There used to be real needs for chain drive wallets but like so many other things it became co-opted as a fashion statement by the baggy pants gangsta-wannabees. :coffee:

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
how's your memory?

GrayRider said:
LOL. I had that problem years ago.
Are you sure it was that and not Wobbly Boot Syndrome? !drunk!

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Some feel the chain drive wallets demise had alot to do with Donnie Petersons, (of AIM fame) poor press of inferior design of the tensioner shoes and the MOCOs reluctance or downright refusal to acknowledge the existing and ongoing problem.

·
Ridin' & Glidin'
2,116 Posts
supersport said:
Some feel the chain drive wallets demise had alot to do with Donnie Petersons, (of AIM fame) poor press of inferior design of the tensioner shoes and the MOCOs reluctance or downright refusal to acknowledge the existing and ongoing problem.
Rumor was that it was all due to faulty casting.
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
06Heritage said:
I'm pretty new to the whole Harley/Biker lifestyle. Is there a purpose for the chain being on a biker wallet, or is it just to make it look cool ? Thanks !!
If you never had one at any other point in your life, there's no need to worry about it now. You can't buy a lifestyle... just ride and be yourself.

·
Premium Member
3,624 Posts
DrHeathenScum said:
If you never had one at any other point in your life, there's no need to worry about it now. You can't buy a lifestyle... just ride and be yourself.
I had one in the 7th grade, so I'm grandfathered in.....

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
Quite a few years ago before I worried about wobbly boot syndrom or chain drive cams I drove truck...the chain wallet was originally called a truckers wallet by bikers and truckers alike...it's intention is to keep the wallet safe and on your person, I owned one then and I own one now...for that very reason.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts