V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,885 Posts
I have a Handy table lift. I start the motor, stand on the left side of the bike and lift the clutch and engage low gear. Then it's a simple matter to idle the bike right up on the stand. There is a tire vise into which the front tire fits and there is also a stop in the center of the tire vise.

If the tire vise is set properly, after you stop the engine, the bike will stay upright so that you can reach down and tighten the vise to hold the bike. I also use tie-downs and then you are ready to lift. Very simple to do alone, actually.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,885 Posts
SiLlY said:
The only thing i dont understand about the table lift is; is there an attachment to lift the wheels off of the surface. I seen a few table lifts and seen the attachment to hold the wheels in order to keep the bike straight but what if you needed to remove a wheel? Can someone enlighten me on that?
The rear wheel can easily be removed on a table lift. Some of them have a removeable section under the wheel and some don't. In either case, you need a scissors jack or something similar to raise the wheel clear of the table so that you can remove the axle. Handy sells a scissors lift for that purpose ($200) but I built one out of a modified scissors jack from a wrecking yard. ($5.00)

The front wheel is problematical on a table lift. I've watched the OCC folks and other bike builders work on the front forks and wheels on a table lift. I think they have a way to secure the bike to the table without using the front wheel vise.

Another way that I've seen to work on the front wheel on a table lift is to place the bike on the lift rear wheel first. It would take two people but it can be done.

In any case, you can do 99 % of everything else very easily on a table lift. It's also a very convenient place for tools and supplies when you are working.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.