V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:huh: After dissing hot-toppers I thought I'd bring up something I bought, not once but twice, that didn't exactly work out. . .I was looking at the "softail" shiny wall at the dealer one day and decided that the chrome rear axle bolt covers (the simple round ones that amount to a "hub cap") would be cool, cover those butt-ugly bolts and not have to spend the many more bucks for the snappy chrome up the swing-arm full covers. The (fukers weigh at least 8 oz each) bolt covers attach simply with a small hex bolt in the cover that you tighten into the axle nut from the bottom. OK, done. Looks good for $26.95. After I put them on I go riding with a group. Two guys behind me peel off after about 1/2 hour and after they catch up later one of them says I got hit on the leg with a giant shiny rock. Almost knocks me off the bike, rips my pants and leaves a hell of a bruise/mark. Uh oh, guess what it was? Yep, the left side cover. So, another $26.95 and this time I tighten the left one until the cheesey included hex wrench breaks. OK, that fuker's on tite now. Two days later, it's gone. I now have two "rights" in my tool box and am out $53.90 plus tax. . .Anybody got a two lefts and wants to trade? :hystria:

Lefty

·
Sub Par Member
769 Posts
Lefty said:
...one of them says I got hit on the leg with a giant shiny rock.
LOL! I don't know why exactly, but that line really cracked me up.

I've got a set of those on my front wheel. I just used a little blue Loctite and they've been stuck on there pretty good for about a year and a half.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
next time when ya put 'em on shoot sa dollop of silicone caulk in there...don't ask how I know...nope this is a "righty"

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Same thing happened to me with my head bolt covers... problem is they come in a pack of four for $40. Lost the same one twice.

What I found is that when tightening the hex, it is good to rotate the cover back and forth to find the flat spot.... so tighten a little... rotate a little... tighten a little more... rotate, etc. Since I've adopted this little procedure, nothing as fallen off.

I am curious, however, did you ever fess up with your buddy with the shiny rock bruise.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
Silicone my friend. It ain't just fer titties.

·
Banned
4,121 Posts
ebfabman said:
@gree: Yup....silly-cone an lock-tight on just about every thing.
Dang ... I understand the silicone for her boobies ... but where the heck do you use the Lok-Tite?!?!?

ohhhhh, I get it .... her mouth .... :roflback:

·
Premium Member
7,088 Posts
Problem I had with my front covers is the set screws wouldn't even thread into the holes. They were so tight going in the heads stripped out. Since I ended up drilling and tapping them I decided to go with a bigger set screw that I could really wrench down on. Worked good.

If you didn't want to put silicone in there you could always use a drill to make a small indention on the nut and bolt to give the set screw something to settle into.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
8-Ball said:
I am curious, however, did you ever fess up with your buddy with the shiny rock bruise.
Yes, I did, and he was not a happy camper. He rides a vtx1300 and to this day mumbles about fukin' harleys with $hit fallin' off of 'em. . . .

$26.95 and silicone or locktite, eh? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Lefty

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
8-Ball said:
......What I found is that when tightening the hex, it is good to rotate the cover back and forth to find the flat spot.... so tighten a little... rotate a little... tighten a little more... rotate, etc. Since I've adopted this little procedure, nothing as fallen off......
Going with 8-Ball on this call. Had the same thing happen on the front axle nuts and found when I tightened 'em they were working loose. Now I tighten, wiggle 'em a little and tighten some more. Do the same thing on the rears. And the silicone and lock-tight are also a good call but the wiggle'n works just fine.

o~\o

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. if i get screwed once i don't go back for more.

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
A couple of years back I was riding at Laconia and there is a section of road after you go by the beach that is pretty rough. Well it was bumper to bumper bikes going threw that area. This guy in front of me there was stuff bouncing off everywhere from his bike there must have been a couple of hundred bucks worth of chrome scattered across the road. He did look like he had a clue and there was no stopping at that point it was go or get run down. Eeeeeks I bet he was bumming when he got home. Hope he had a good time

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
bagga said:
fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. if i get screwed once i don't go back for more.
Had to... wasn't an option... already decided on the look. The fun became how to make it work, stay on, etc.

It was more of a, "It aint gonna beat me." kind of thing.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
We should have a '**** that didn't work Sticky'. Just like 'Parts reviews' or something except do it for stuff that doesn't work at all. And not allow replies so that a person woulldn't feel like he'd just get his balls smashed for posting the thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts