V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I want to check the gear alignment on my gear driven cams. I am lazy, so I want to do it with the least amount of work on my part. I figure since it's the outer/drive gears I want to check, I should be able to pull the timer cover/cam position sensor cover and have a look-see, I figure.
So I look in the Service Manual and since there doesn't appear to even BE a Cam Position Sensor any more and since there is no gasket on the cover plate I'm thinking that the hole behind the cover/plate may not even go all the way through any more and I may just be wasting my time to pull it and try to see my gears.
So, my question is can I see the gears by just pulling the timer cover/cam position sensor cover, or do I have to pull the whole damned cam cover off to look?

Thanks!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Got to agree with NUC.
Gear Drive cams gears are not shimmed for alignment. Only issue with gear drive is gear lash and if you do not hear it whine or tick too much, ride the sh1t out of it and enjoy.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LittleBear said:
Got to agree with NUC.
Gear Drive cams gears are not shimmed for alignment. Only issue with gear drive is gear lash and if you do not hear it whine or tick too much, ride the sh1t out of it and enjoy.
Nah, it's a check to see if it's one tooth off, that kind of alignment...

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
While your in there go ahead & pull the cam plate. Might as well make sure the inner gears are aligned and the cams are the ones you ordered.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Nah, it's a check to see if it's one tooth off, that kind of alignment...
I too am afflicted with OCD. My motto: If it ain't broke, be sure and phuck with it until it is broke.

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
fourstar said:
My motto: If it ain't broke, be sure and phuck with it until it is broke.
2nd rule of engineering! lol

1st ones "Horsepower should not exceed the operator's IQ" in case you were wondering.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the OCD is kind of troublesome, but I have always been about 10 HP and Ft/Lb lower than we thought it should be, so if it was easy, I thought I'd take a peek. Doc is the one who thought it might be a tooth off, so fukc those of you who choose to make light of the issue. :D

·
Premium Member
3,127 Posts
Only bitch is taking off and replacing the exhaust.
Make sure the holes for the screws don't have oil in them when replacing
the cover. Also, if you have good "feel" I wouldn't use a tq wrench on
the screws. Just follow the book for proper sequence.
If you leave your bike on the kick stand you'll only lose a small amount of oil.

·
XLIII
10,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I think I'll wait until they get a Pro-Pipe in for a demo bike and we'll check when they pull my exhaust to see how much difference the Pro Pipe will make...
If it's off a tooth, my exhaust goes back on and we retune. If not, we'll run the Pro Pipe and see what kind of numbers we get.

·
Highly Seasoned Rider!
4,884 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Well, the OCD is kind of troublesome, but I have always been about 10 HP and Ft/Lb lower than we thought it should be, so if it was easy, I thought I'd take a peek. Doc is the one who thought it might be a tooth off, so fukc those of you who choose to make light of the issue. :D

And right back atcha! Always happy to help out! :)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
fourstar said:
If it ain't broke, be sure and phuck with it until it is broke.
Yep I have had many things end up worse then when I started.

Yes I am an egineer. But were not all bad.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
MegaGlide said:
No, all I knew up until now was that it might be a tooth off.

Mega,

that would surprise me in a big way. One tooth off changes the timing so much that the bike would have trouble idling correctly. But now I am curious too............

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
MegaGlide said:
Well, a tooth on the outer gears is only about 6 degrees...
If it closes your intake valve about 6 deg earlier (I assume you are talking about cam deg), you could see hard starting when hot. Still hard to believe as the the marks on the gears (inner and outer) are hard to miss.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts