V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of removing the heads to send them to HDWrench for a little surgery. Things were going nicely until trying to remove the induction module assembly (throttle body, etc.).

Service Manual says: "Using a needle nose pliers, carefully pull idle cable barrel from upper hole in throttle wheel. Pull throttle cable barrel from lower hole. Using slots, release idle and throttle cables from guides in throttle cable bracket".

The damn thing won't come out. I don't want to kink the cable by forcing it so I loosened the cable at the adjuster and eased it off of the wheel, but the barrel doesn't want to come out. What am I missing here?

Thanks.

·
Nice to ride again :-)
1,802 Posts
Well I can tell you as many times as I have been there that I never removed them, I just tape the whole unit to the frame where the tank used to be and make sure I don't stress any thing, after everything is back together, well less the AC, do the cable adjustments on them, run through the cruise control calibration and go.

Just disconnect all the electronics on the TB and leave the cables on.

Sorry didn't answer your question but thought you could just keep going this way.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good Alternative

Certainly makes sense to me. I'll give it a shot. So far I have taught the neighbor kids 4 new words.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Mikie said:
I'm in the process of removing the heads to send them to HDWrench for a little surgery. Things were going nicely until trying to remove the induction module assembly (throttle body, etc.).

Service Manual says: "Using a needle nose pliers, carefully pull idle cable barrel from upper hole in throttle wheel. Pull throttle cable barrel from lower hole. Using slots, release idle and throttle cables from guides in throttle cable bracket".

The damn thing won't come out. I don't want to kink the cable by forcing it so I loosened the cable at the adjuster and eased it off of the wheel, but the barrel doesn't want to come out. What am I missing here?

Thanks.
loosen the cables

·
Registered
541 Posts
Happyman is on this one....Loosen the cable adjusters and they should come right out...

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
You may have to rotate the throttle wheel to get the cable at the right angle to slip it out. The cable has to be at a right angle to the wheel to come out. My -2$en#e-

·
killer sperm
2,852 Posts
I just did it the way LAF described it, works fine even with cruise.
Rather than tape I used large zip ties.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
Think what you were missing was what pa-glazer said, you have to rotate those cables to the little split before they
ll come out, barrell should slip right out when you get en there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This appears to be a lot like the throttle cable at the grip end. Even after using the adjuster to max out the slack in the cable and rotating the wheel to aligned the cable with the slot, the little beotch won't come out. Decided to go with the LAF method and just carefully move everything out of the way.

The TB still isn't out yet, but I'll get it. Running over to a buddy's tonight to borrow a long ball head hex and may even stop for a cold one. Whoever designed that thing ought to be beaten.

Thanks for all of the input, it's appreciated!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts