V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was on my way to Whitby the afternoon after work and got stuck in a major accident traffic jam. The traffic had started moving and all of a sudden the bike started making a nasty mechanical noise and I notice the oil light come on flickering and then solid
and the oil pressure dropped right off I immediately pulled over and turned the bike off.
I checked the oil, it was full....
I let the bike cool for about 30 min. And tried to turn it over to see if it was siezed.
It did start right up but the oil light wouldn't turn off unless I revved it up some. So I turned it off again and had it towed home because the dealer is closed. By the time the bike was off the flatbed it was cool. So I teied to start it to see if anything changed. It had, the soul light went off immediately.
As far as I am concerned, the bike oil pressure should never drop to zero psi..
No matter how hot it is...
I have heard of bikes getting really hot in stop and go traffic but a total drop off of oil pressure.....
The metallic noises I heard didn't sit well with me...

I do have an ESP but I am wondering what the dealer will find if anything because the oil pressure was back. If they don't tear it apart and I have a problem after my warranty runs out( next spring). I am stuck with a major repair.
If they do tear it apart and find nothing, I am stuck with a major repair bill... I am nervous to ride it not wanting to possibly cause more damage.
Frustrated and confused

·
Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
The noise you heard were the lifters that lost their prime due to insufficient oil.They need to open up the cam chest and see what's going on.Anything less is just a guess or conjecture at best.

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise you heard were the lifters that lost their prime due to insufficient oil.They need to open up the cam chest and see what's going on.Anything less is just a guess or conjecture at best.
I was thinking so, would you think there would be something noticable? I think I caught it pretty quick.
I also was wondering about the upper part of the motor not getting oil and being damaged...
Bit to check all that is a total teardown

·
not sober all the time
5,489 Posts
Many years ago (probably 2005) my wife and I were coming back from a Florida vacation on our Road King. We were on I-10 in Alabama when we ran upon a huge traffic jam caused by an accident. We would move up a few yards then stop. This went on for miles. The ambient temp was close to 100. The reading on my mechanical oil pressure gauge got down to 0 at idle. The lifters started to rattle and it sounded like a can of marbles shaking around in the engine. I pulled to the shoulder and cruised by traffic just fast enough to keep some air flowing over the Jagg oil cooler. I didn't think we would survive sitting still on the shoulder with the sun bearing down on us. We soon found a shady spot and stopped for a while. When the jam started to move a little better we cranked up and joined in. The oil pressure was still quite low at idle but it had enough to keep the lifters pumped up. The pressure was a little lower than usual at higher engine speed but still acceptable. I changed oil & filter when we got home and everything seemed OK.

I ran the bike for a year or two then rebuilt the topend with a 95" bore, gear drive cams, ported heads, etc. Everything including the oil pump looked brand new. The Mobil 1 oil had protected the engine during the extreme heat. In fact, I used the same oil pump and it's still doing it's job @ over 60,000 miles. The bike has been in semi-retirement for a while but I hop on it for a cruise now and then.

I'm not suggesting that you do as I did. I am just giving my experience of a similar situation.

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many years ago (probably 2005) my wife and I were coming back from a Florida vacation on our Road King. We were on I-10 in Alabama when we ran upon a huge traffic jam caused by an accident. We would move up a few yards then stop. This went on for miles. The ambient temp was close to 100. The reading on my mechanical oil pressure gauge got down to 0 at idle. The lifters started to rattle and it sounded like a can of marbles shaking around in the engine. I pulled to the shoulder and cruised by traffic just fast enough to keep some air flowing over the Jagg oil cooler. I didn't think we would survive sitting still on the shoulder with the sun bearing down on us. We soon found a shady spot and stopped for a while. When the jam started to move a little better we cranked up and joined in. The oil pressure was still quite low at idle but it had enough to keep the lifters pumped up. The pressure was a little lower than usual at higher engine speed but still acceptable. I changed oil & filter when we got home and everything seemed OK.

I ran the bike for a year or two then rebuilt the topend with a 95" bore, gear drive cams, ported heads, etc. Everything including the oil pump looked brand new. The Mobil 1 oil had protected the engine during the extreme heat. In fact, I used the same oil pump and it's still doing it's job @ over 60,000 miles. The bike has been in semi-retirement for a while but I hop on it for a cruise now and then.

I'm not suggesting that you do as I did. I am just giving my experience of a similar situation.
Thanks for you insight

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too had that problem up in Laconia back in '94 or so. Pulled over, let it cool, then went back to the campground....no traffic that way....all is well. 50,000+ miles later. (Went back to Wierdo Beach the next day... no traffic problem.)

·
Registered
338 Posts
What's your idle set at? Too low and you don't get proper oil pressure. Did you check the oil sender unit? My wife's bike did that on a trip (light came on) she immediately shut it off and pulled over. (I taught her well) It turned out to just be the sender.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts