V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I was on my way to Whitby the afternoon after work and got stuck in a major accident traffic jam. The traffic had started moving and all of a sudden the bike started making a nasty mechanical noise and I notice the oil light come on flickering and then solid
and the oil pressure dropped right off I immediately pulled over and turned the bike off.
I checked the oil, it was full....
I let the bike cool for about 30 min. And tried to turn it over to see if it was siezed.
It did start right up but the oil light wouldn't turn off unless I revved it up some. So I turned it off again and had it towed home because the dealer is closed. By the time the bike was off the flatbed it was cool. So I teied to start it to see if anything changed. It had, the soul light went off immediately.
As far as I am concerned, the bike oil pressure should never drop to zero psi..
No matter how hot it is...
I have heard of bikes getting really hot in stop and go traffic but a total drop off of oil pressure.....
The metallic noises I heard didn't sit well with me...

I do have an ESP but I am wondering what the dealer will find if anything because the oil pressure was back. If they don't tear it apart and I have a problem after my warranty runs out( next spring). I am stuck with a major repair.
If they do tear it apart and find nothing, I am stuck with a major repair bill... I am nervous to ride it not wanting to possibly cause more damage.
Frustrated and confused

·
Super Moderator
2,992 Posts
The noise you heard were the lifters that lost their prime due to insufficient oil.They need to open up the cam chest and see what's going on.Anything less is just a guess or conjecture at best.

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The noise you heard were the lifters that lost their prime due to insufficient oil.They need to open up the cam chest and see what's going on.Anything less is just a guess or conjecture at best.
I was thinking so, would you think there would be something noticable? I think I caught it pretty quick.
I also was wondering about the upper part of the motor not getting oil and being damaged...
Bit to check all that is a total teardown

·
not sober all the time
5,526 Posts
Many years ago (probably 2005) my wife and I were coming back from a Florida vacation on our Road King. We were on I-10 in Alabama when we ran upon a huge traffic jam caused by an accident. We would move up a few yards then stop. This went on for miles. The ambient temp was close to 100. The reading on my mechanical oil pressure gauge got down to 0 at idle. The lifters started to rattle and it sounded like a can of marbles shaking around in the engine. I pulled to the shoulder and cruised by traffic just fast enough to keep some air flowing over the Jagg oil cooler. I didn't think we would survive sitting still on the shoulder with the sun bearing down on us. We soon found a shady spot and stopped for a while. When the jam started to move a little better we cranked up and joined in. The oil pressure was still quite low at idle but it had enough to keep the lifters pumped up. The pressure was a little lower than usual at higher engine speed but still acceptable. I changed oil & filter when we got home and everything seemed OK.

I ran the bike for a year or two then rebuilt the topend with a 95" bore, gear drive cams, ported heads, etc. Everything including the oil pump looked brand new. The Mobil 1 oil had protected the engine during the extreme heat. In fact, I used the same oil pump and it's still doing it's job @ over 60,000 miles. The bike has been in semi-retirement for a while but I hop on it for a cruise now and then.

I'm not suggesting that you do as I did. I am just giving my experience of a similar situation.

·
Registered
2010 Harley Street Glide
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many years ago (probably 2005) my wife and I were coming back from a Florida vacation on our Road King. We were on I-10 in Alabama when we ran upon a huge traffic jam caused by an accident. We would move up a few yards then stop. This went on for miles. The ambient temp was close to 100. The reading on my mechanical oil pressure gauge got down to 0 at idle. The lifters started to rattle and it sounded like a can of marbles shaking around in the engine. I pulled to the shoulder and cruised by traffic just fast enough to keep some air flowing over the Jagg oil cooler. I didn't think we would survive sitting still on the shoulder with the sun bearing down on us. We soon found a shady spot and stopped for a while. When the jam started to move a little better we cranked up and joined in. The oil pressure was still quite low at idle but it had enough to keep the lifters pumped up. The pressure was a little lower than usual at higher engine speed but still acceptable. I changed oil & filter when we got home and everything seemed OK.

I ran the bike for a year or two then rebuilt the topend with a 95" bore, gear drive cams, ported heads, etc. Everything including the oil pump looked brand new. The Mobil 1 oil had protected the engine during the extreme heat. In fact, I used the same oil pump and it's still doing it's job @ over 60,000 miles. The bike has been in semi-retirement for a while but I hop on it for a cruise now and then.

I'm not suggesting that you do as I did. I am just giving my experience of a similar situation.
Thanks for you insight

·
Registered
51 Posts
I too had that problem up in Laconia back in '94 or so. Pulled over, let it cool, then went back to the campground....no traffic that way....all is well. 50,000+ miles later. (Went back to Wierdo Beach the next day... no traffic problem.)

·
Registered
362 Posts
What's your idle set at? Too low and you don't get proper oil pressure. Did you check the oil sender unit? My wife's bike did that on a trip (light came on) she immediately shut it off and pulled over. (I taught her well) It turned out to just be the sender.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just stumbled onto this post. . . . . I too, am seeing this with my 04 Night Train.

I'm in central FL and it's been hot as #$%# lately. Twice now, I've been out and noticed while sitting in traffic, the gauge drops to ZERO lbs!!!!!!!!!!

If I blimp the throttle, the needle moves a bit but returns to zero and bumps about ever so slightly. When I take off, the gauge will show between 10-20lbs

When this occurs, other than my loud ass exhaust, I hear no clanging/banging/clunking/squealing/ or any other sounds of an engine fixing to self destruct. It just sits there and runs. . . .

When I take off at the beginning of a ride I see . . .
Cold - around 35lbs at idle
At speed - around 40lbs
Hot Idle - 20-30lbs (for the 1st hour or so before I notice the drop)

I've checked for oil leaks but the ground under the bike is always clean. The oil level is right where it's supposed to be.

Internally, I have recently replaced the tension pads, replaced the inner cam bearings, installed Drag Specialties HI-Per oil pump, added an Axtell Oil bypass valve. I have a mech oil pressure gauge. Running Amsoil Synthetic. I have maybe 200 miles on these items. Everything else in the cam chest is stock 2004 vintage. I bumped the engine up to S&S 96" a few years back.

When it 1st happened, I was freaking out big time just knowing that the engine was going to explode between my legs!. But now, as long as the engine isn't screaming at me to put it out of it's misery. . . I keep riding.

·
Registered
5,156 Posts
You have a problem, could be a gauge inaccurate or problems with that bypass. If it were mine I would use a Baisley plunger and stock spring, stock cam plate

·
Super Moderator
20,199 Posts
Put a service gauge on it and see what the pressure is. Lots of issues with Harley oil pressure sensors.

I had the same thing on an 11 103. Stuck in traffic and the oil light came on with 0 on the gauge. Heat from the pipe had killed the sensor.

·
Registered
688 Posts
my evo will do that on very hot days at a stop after hot high speed ride...some say it is ok.(just blinking)..and i raise the idle a little and it goes out.... gage on borderline??....bike is still running fine after many miles and never had noises...but any noises i would look into it...i run 15-40 rotella dino...prob a heavier oil might un borderline it but the rot is about the best deisel oil for the price and have been using it for years with no noticeable wear or issues on the engine / cam or ever had a lifter go bad...btw i also raised the spring a bit and that helped....prob a fresh oil pump would help if it was a bigger problem

·
Super Moderator
2,992 Posts
Is it a rocker mounted gauge?If it is they get heat soaked and read 5-10 lbs. low when hot and sitting still.If you don't hear the lifters you probably have sufficient oil pressure.You can go with Harley Davidson straight 50 weight oil.It does well in high temps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks to everyone for their responses .

It just so happens that it is a rocker mounted gauge? And it does get hot!!!! As stated, I hear no top end noise at all when it's reading low.
I just got back from 100 mile trip to Titusville and back and tried to keep an eye on the gauge as much as possible. Some hi-way but mostly 45-60 speeds and I never saw the pressure go below 20 the entire trip. I have no speedo but rpms were running 2500-3000 most of the time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts