V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was riding to a PGR function today. 40 miles with ocassional traffic stops, but mostly 55 MPH. Approaching the last traffic light, I down shift as normal and then all of a sudden, my clutch lever is stuck and cannot disengage the clutch. I cannot pull the clutch lever, at all. Power down shift until just before stopped and get the trike in neutral, then shut down. Trike starts fine, just cannot

2007 FLHTCU
2008 Baker Drivetrain 6R upgrade - 27,000 miles
2019 Roadsmith Trike Conversion - 1,000 miles
2020 Screaming Eagle 110 Long Block upgrade by HD dealer =/< 320 miles
29,000 total miles

Any suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,463 Posts
First thought is the cable is broken internally. Remove both ends from its mooring and see if you can move the inner cable manually. GO from there.

·
Registered
711 Posts
my clutch lever is stuck and cannot disengage the clutch. I cannot pull the clutch lever
What do you mean stuck? Will not move at all? Can't pull, but can you move the lever back and forth? Can you push it away from the bar to the normal position?

If you can move it, look at the gap that opens up between the lever and the perch. You should see either a good cable moving in and out of the sleeve, or maybe some frayed and/or broken cable strands. That will tell you which end is broken.

Since you didn't say anything about doing a hydraulic clutch release when you had the Baker kit put in, I'm guessing you still have a cable.

Did the SE 110 upgrade say anything about maybe a SE clutch spring to go with it? That could be enough to pull the end off of the clutch cable if it isn't well maintained. I've done it at least twice with my dinky little 95 incher. Have to keep regular lubrication, on the top end especially.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cannot pull on the handle at all. I still have the stock cable, non hydraulic clutch. Thanks

·
Registered
711 Posts
If you can't move the lever at all, neither pulling or pushing, then it's not a broken cable. Ball and ramp. maybe. But if that was broken, you should still be able to move the lever.

Sounds like you have something broken in the clutch, something locking up the whole release mechanism.

Have you addressed this issue with the dealer that did the motor upgrade? Sounds like maybe something they did as part of that might have broken. The whole primary drive and clutch came off to change out the motor. Sounds kind of fishy to me.

Was the Baker kit installed at 27K miles, or was it done in 2008 and been in for 27K miles? If it has been in for that long, there's not much chance anything related to that work caused your problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, I was riding to a PGR function today. 40 miles with ocassional traffic stops, but mostly 55 MPH. Approaching the last traffic light, I down shift as normal and then all of a sudden, my clutch lever is stuck and cannot disengage the clutch. I cannot pull the clutch lever, at all. Power down shift until just before stopped and get the trike in neutral, then shut down. Trike starts fine, just cannot

2007 FLHTCU
2008 Baker Drivetrain 6R upgrade - 27,000 miles
2019 Roadsmith Trike Conversion - 1,000 miles
2020 Screaming Eagle 110 Long Block upgrade by HD dealer =/< 320 miles
29,000 total miles

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Update on situation. Removing the side cover of the Baker Drivetrain I found that the main shaft retaining nut had backed out and jammed the clutch. Some Loktite and torquing back to spec and all is good. Also replaced clutch cable with new as it was original equipment. Thanks for everyone’s input. This is a terrific forum. Motor safe and keep your heads on a swivel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts