V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2000 road king flhpi and one of the plugs for the transmission /oil pan is stripped. The service at Harley says they would jut be a helio core into place, but I have heard that they may not work for long. Can we just replace the pan Instead, Or do we need to replace the entire lower case?Any ideas would be appreciated.:huh:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Helicoil

I have used helicoil several times and I have never had any problems with it. About 10 years ago I even used it on the threads for the main pulley on a Ford 302 and that truck is still running today and the pulley has never come loose. I have removed it several times for other repairs and the helicoil threads are still in good condition. Helicoil works if it is installed correctly.

·
Registered
255 Posts
helicoil

n8vtxn said:
I have used helicoil several times and I have never had any problems with it. About 10 years ago I even used it on the threads for the main pulley on a Ford 302 and that truck is still running today and the pulley has never come loose. I have removed it several times for other repairs and the helicoil threads are still in good condition. Helicoil works if it is installed correctly.

whoa dere pardner... ever tried to do that on a harley when the pan is on last time i tired it was a major pita but heh maybe you are mechanically inclined?

?prty:

·
Registered
2012 FLTRX, 2014 FLHTK
160 Posts
I just finished doing this same thing on a 97 wide glide. The oil pan changes out pretty easily. I had to take off my pipes to get to a couple bolts, but it was still an easy install and only took about 2 hours start to finish. The oil pan for my bike was only $130.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It is common opinion in the mechanical community that Heli Coils installed in parts make them better than they were before. Im saying that race teams commonly take say an engine block and install Heli Coils in it in key locations rite from the start before then engine is ever assembled the first time. So with that said I have no conflict with the idea of using a Heli Coil in your oil pan since it will be better than when new. Only concern is wether the o-ring will have a place to seal so there are no leaks.

·
Registered
722 Posts
There's not a thing wrong with Helicoils. Most general aviation engines made by Lycoming and Continental use Helicoils in the heads for the spark plug inserts, and other places on the engines.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts