V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goddammit!

I'm trying to install a rack on my RK. I have the right size torx wrench and goddamn if I didn't strip the very first one! Them f*ckers bolts must be installed with an impact driver.

Anyway, I'd appreciate any tips on how to get the f*cker out.

TIA wyo

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
A good 'Hard' torx bit, maybe the next size down.
Insert it and Smack it hard with a hammer so that it
indents and makes a new head'ish.....

I meant size up, Larger.
O well, try both!!! :eek:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hate torx heads. If it's holding something on you can usually drill the head off. Use a drill bit as close to the size of the bolt you can find. Once the head is off remove the piece it's holding (once the bolt head is off it usually takes the torque of the bolt) and you can get the stud out with vise grips. Then replace with allen heads.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Wyo before ya pound anything it may help to know what it is that the bolt was holding?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I thought that is what Torx bolts were supposed to do?

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I agree on the torx being junk. I stripped one myself this weekend when I was trying to take the sissy bar out of the uprights. They seem very soft, and the loctite blue didn't help matters. Three of them came out easy but hte fourth wouldn't budge. A friend has offered to help me remove it. He says that you drill out the torx slightly then screw in a type of hard screw (Tungsten ?) that is reverse threaded. So I guess as you screw that in counterclockwise it removes the original. Will let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
515 Posts
A little trick that some times works. I'll spit on the end the bit and dip it into a can of comet. Or put comet in the screw it self and re-insert the bit. Good Luck.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JimmyK said:
Wyo before ya pound anything it may help to know what it is that the bolt was holding?
Hey JimmyK!

The bolt is PN# 3676 that holds the support bracket (PN# 90720-79B) which is attached to the rear fender.

Since I posted, I tried drilling a guide hole and using an easy out. The easyout promptly snapped off (goddammit). I've just scored a dremmel tool and will try to (1) slot the head so I can try a large screwdriver , (2) flatten two sides so I can use vice grips, or (3) cut the bolt head off.

All keep you posted.

Torx are the devil's fasteners, THEY'RE EVIL

wyo

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correction:

support bracket (PN# 90720-79B) is not attached to the fender at all. It is attached at the top to a frame cover (PN# 47504-97) and attached at the bottom to the saddle bag support (PN# 49194-85). Note the part numbers given are for the right side.

Harleyhog,

The f*cked up screw was a #40 torx, I don't have a larger torx head. I was able to seat the #40 head by tapping on it, but when I applied force with vice grips it slipped.

I was able to cut a slot with a dremel tool but I don't have a screw driver with a wide enough blade.

It occurs to me that the solution might be to take the bracket off (by taking the frame cover off and un-bolting it from the saddle bag support). Then I could cut the head off and work for the backside. Or take it to a machine shop if I have to.

wyo

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Wyo, I can't exactly picture where the offending torx is, but here goes. Are you able to apply a small bit of heat to it? If so, give that a try. That should take care of the blue loctite anyways. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a 45 (yes 45) magnum automatic. Perhaps it would help. Oh well, its what i usually try before i take it to a shop. Good luck. greg

·
Registered
458 Posts
The heat idea will work great we have to do it at work at times when someone gets wild with the locktite. Also try using a allen wrench on it sometimes it will catch enough to get it loose after the torx slips.
And next time use a hand impact driver and tighten it first then loosen it.
Sometimes that will brake the bolt loose.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I've had the same bolts/Brackets off before.
That is one motherfu(ker of a bolt to be stuck with!!!
When you DO get it out Imo, I wouldn't 'loctite' it back in again.
Keep us posted.

If the 'easy out' is still snapped off in the bolt, you could always try spot welding some sort of lever to it???
That doesn't work, grind it back off, drill it out and re-tap. (machine shop?)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Can you get to the back side of the bolt, the actual shaft? Sometimes you can use needle nose vice grips to spin the shaft of the Torx bolt to get it started, the problem is you "bugger" up the threads but usually you can get it started and then it will come out...

Ugh !

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
JFScheck said:
Can you get to the back side of the bolt, the actual shaft? Sometimes you can use needle nose vice grips to spin the shaft of the Torx bolt to get it started, the problem is you "bugger" up the threads but usually you can get it started and then it will come out...

Ugh !
Bad idea, the Bolt will fu(k up the threads on the frame on the way out....

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This morning on my drive into work, it occurred to me that I could super glue a #40 torx in the stripped bolt, let that sh!t dry and then see if the dirty whore will let loose. I will also try the heat gun idea.

I'm damn tempted to try Greg's 45 magnum approach, but this would just get my neighbors worked up.

I'll take some pics this afternoon and let you know what I come up with.

fucken torx :mad: :mad: :mad:

wyo

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Super glue will shatter when you lean on it. If you plan to glue the bit in the bolt use epoxy if you dont have access to a welder.

That being said, sounds like the hole is reamed good. It would be doubtful any tool in the torx hole, correct or not, even glued with epoxy, will not turn the fastener. The only things that will work will be leverage plus heat and/or impact.

If you do epoxy something in there, use a hand impact driver or an impact gun if you can get on it. If that fails, try a small pipe wrench if you can get it in there. Use your dremel to cut some flats on the head of it for better grip if needed. The neat thing about pipe wrench (versus vice-grips or other locking pliers) is that the harder you lean on it the harder it bites in. The downside is the bolt will be destroyed - not that it isn't already :)

·
EvilMonger
8,793 Posts
If you don't have a hand impact driver I hope you go out and buy one. Good luck on the bolt and I think someone has mentioned before but left hand drill bits do work wonders, they spin in the correct direction while producing there own heat.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thomas_l said:
If that fails, try a small pipe wrench if you can get it in there. Use your dremel to cut some flats on the head of it for better grip if needed. The neat thing about pipe wrench (versus vice-grips or other locking pliers) is that the harder you lean on it the harder it bites in. The downside is the bolt will be destroyed - not that it isn't already :)

All fuken right, we have a winner!!!!!:D :D :D

I sprayed the dirty whore down with liquid wrench, then cut some flat edges with my new dremel tool, then used a pipe wrench to back it out (rather easily).

thomas_I, your wrenchin' kung fu is most fierce, I am indebted to you.

Regards, wyodude

1 - 20 of 42 Posts