V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
one of the T-25 derby cover bolts stripped out last night. I was trying to put on my new bar and shield derby cover and while I was removing the bolts all came out but one (typical, even in my hot rod days - it was always one bolt:mad: ). Anyway, I thought of taking my dremel and grinding in a slot for a large flat head screw driver or drilling the head off and then using vice grips to remove the stem. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Either of those methods would probably work. I use a chisel instead of a Dremel to make the slot.

I recently saw a Sears ad on television for stripped screw extracting bits. The commercial looked impressive (but then, it would wouldn't it!). It is basically a drill bit-lookin' gizmo that slightly drills into, then "bites" into, and then unscrews whats left of a stripped screw. Works on straight, phillips, hex, torx, etc screws. I think it was around $20 so perhaps its not worth the effort/expense.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The derby cover screws are a T-27. I just stripped one on my Sporty. Used a 1/4" drill to drill off the head. Once the head popped off the screw came right out using just my fingers.

-jeff

·
Registered
331 Posts
xl1200c_01 said:
The derby cover screws are a T-27. I just stripped one on my Sporty. Used a 1/4" drill to drill off the head. Once the head popped off the screw came right out using just my fingers.

-jeff
Thank god for archives! I had used the TORX 25 myself and found one that just would not work. I knew that there had to be one size in between, unfortunately all I have are the 25 and 30! I don't think it's stripped, yet! Guess I'll be at the parts store tomorrow!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
T-27 Use a hard 'bit' and smack it hard'ish to imprint a head on it.
Try to use an impact air thingy on it if you haven't tried it yet..
T 27 is the Harley nuttthank...:rolleyes:. Thick as champ...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Too funny.....I got 4 out of the 5 T-27's out of my Derby cover and that last one did not want to budge. I was using a T-27 from my Harley tool kit and bent the tool and stripped the torx :( Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can do now w/ the added advice.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Derby cover bolts and primary chain insp cover bolts should have anti-seize put on them. Interaction of moisture with steel bolts and aluminum cover will always give you problems if you don't use anti-seize on them. An impact wrench also does wonders for getting out the hard ones the 1st time along with the right size torx.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If theres one thing I didn't mind paying 'snap-on' for it was the t-27.
That little hard thing WILL indent a new head without harming itself...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts