V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this combination. With the back rest adjusted all the way back(bracket on last set of Holes to move backrest as far back as possible) i fell like im pushed too far forward. Im 6'2" with 34" inseam. Has anyone else had this problem and if so did you modify backrest bracket or what?

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
I have the Sundowner on a Road Glide and I'm the same size. The seat sux. Way too far forward. I'm going to take it to an aftermarket custom seat maker and have them get it right!

·
<><
3,971 Posts
Yeah, same exact size, same problem. I held the backrest 'prongs' in the vice and bent them back, oh, maybe 5-7°. I wanted it back far enough that I needed to adjust it forward with the little allen head screw. The steel is stout! You need to really wail on it with a medium sized sledge (my favorite part). Works like a charm!! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I can't speak to the specific seat setup since I don't have it... but I know that my streetglide (like most HD's apparently) seems to be designed for short(er) people... its certainly not set up by default for me at 6' 2".

I put on a solo seat and the solo detach tourpack with backrest... and with the tourpak set in the back most position I felt like I was being dumped forward out of the seat (I couldn't sit up even close to straight). I ended up making myself a relocation plate to back the tourpak up a couple of inches...

The same setup tho... solo seat and solo tourpak in back position... turns out to be optimal for my wife (who also has a streetglide) who is 5' 7".

Overall, I don't think its your seat in particular, but just HD... they're sized for 'average' height... somewhere btwn 5'7" and maybe 5'9". They've only (relatively) recently started offering parts for taller riders to swap out (handlebars, floorboard kits) but I don't think their seats have been set up for taller folks yet...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Instead of bending the back rest posts just add some washers between the bracket support arm and the bracket. You might need a longer bolt. Depends on how many washers you use. Way lots easier than bending the posts, although not near as fun. :D

-Bill

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey BFB great idea. that works. will have to get longer bolts though. are these like a carage bolt? have you replaced yours? whats the procedure. rear wheel removal?
Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
DeepCobalt 07 said:
Hey BFB great idea. that works. will have to get longer bolts though. are these like a carage bolt? have you replaced yours? whats the procedure. rear wheel removal?
Thanks
Dave
Dave, the washers go between the bar that goes to the frame by the battery and the bracket. Loosen the nuts holding the bracket, add the washers keeping the support bar under the mount point on the bracket. Once that's all tight tighten the nuts holding the bracket to the fender. No need to remove the wheel.

Not sure I described that with the necessary clarity. There've been a number of good posts on this technique in the RoadKing Riders Forum over on Delphi.

-Bill

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Gerg said:
I have the Sundowner on a Road Glide and I'm the same size. The seat sux. Way too far forward. I'm going to take it to an aftermarket custom seat maker and have them get it right!
Which Sundowner do you have on your RG? (there are three or four) I'm looking for a Sundowner that will put me one inch closer to the bars.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BFB:
Ok I think I get it now. So here is what I did. I made a new strip that was longer than the one supplied with the backrest. It's the one that goes from the main bracket that the backrest plugs into to the frame mounting point by the battery. I also bent the ears slighly up on the bracket the backrest plugs into to allow the at bracket to tip rearword without denting in the rear fender. got a longer 1/4"-20 bolt for the front monting point by the battery and put about a 3/4" or so of spacer behind the new strap that mounts by the battery hence tilting the backrest backwords. Bolted everything down tight. Without making the new front strap longer I couldn't tilt the braket back far enough and still get the 1/4"-20 bolt in the front mounting point.
Anyway, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
DeepColbalt

Glad you were able to get it to work. Sounds like a good mod. Be sure to take pix. This subject comes up several times a year. Sounds like you've come up with another option.

-Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts