V-Twin Forum banner

Street Glide

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  roofeditor 
#1 ·
Hello al, new to the forum here. I have about 3500 miles on my 07 FLHX now. This is the first faringed bike I have owned. Overall, I am pretty happy with the bike. IT has goo dhighway manners and is comfortable. There are a few things that I think could be better. The two up seating is cramped for a touring bike platform. The passenger pegs are too close to my legs when I put my feet down. But the thing that I am having the most problem getting used to is the bikes low speed manners. This is more pronounnced when riding two up. The front wheel wants to hunt around too much when coming to a stop. I am not sure if I have the air suspension set right or if this is typical of the FLH's.

#2 ·
The passender pegs/boards on all of the touring bikes are a problem for alot of people. You passengers toes will be in your calves at stops. It is a little different on my Road Glide compared to my Street glide because the stock RG seat site you up a little closer to the tank. I actually had more problems with my wifes feet on my SG with pegs than I do on the RG with floorboards. And I thought the boards would be more of a problem.

#3 ·
It is a royal pain. You cant shuffle your feet at all while stopping. I dont do it a lot, however there are times in traffic when you end up having to "walk" the bike to a stop. My legs get all caught up in hers. I am thinking about trying a reach seat just to see if it will move me forward some.

#4 ·
Bill_FL said:
It is a royal pain. You cant shuffle your feet at all while stopping. I dont do it a lot, however there are times in traffic when you end up having to "walk" the bike to a stop. My legs get all caught up in hers. I am thinking about trying a reach seat just to see if it will move me forward some.
It's like that for all of the HD touring bikes. If you had floorboards it would be even worse. I can't count the number of times I've jabbed my calves with the passenger floorboards backing my Road King out of the garage. It doesn't happen that much with my Street Glide (w/ passenger pegs instead), but over time you develop a sense of where the floorboards or pegs are you learn to compensate your leg movements to avoid it. My wife doesn't have any problems with her feet interfering with my calves, but she's short (5' 2") and I'm taller (6' 1") so my legs are generally not close to her feet often (unless I'm backing up). Changing the seat might help, but honestly you'll just eventually start subconciously avoiding her feet and the pegs/boards. If that doesn't work for you, I'd highly suggest some Kuryakyn Adjustable Footpegs instead. With the adjustable pegs, you can move your wife's footing position to a more comfortable spot and also eliminate the possibility of her kicking you in the calf. They also make floorboards that adjust, but they are considerably more expensive.

Drel

#5 ·
Drel, I am 6', my wife is 5'10. The funny thing is, it never happened on a Heritage, which we were cramped on in every other way. I had an old Suzuki Volusia for a while. We even put peg extenders on it for her that moved her fet about 3 inches forward, and never had an issue with it. In fact, she still says she had more room on that bike then any we have owned and it was the "smallest" bike we ever had.

I know I will come to compensate for it, and that is not what bothers me the most. What really bugs me is the front end huniting around as you come to a stop.

#6 ·
Believe it or not, more air in the rear shocks will lessen the "diving" of the front forks, because the weight is already transferred to the front when the rear isn't sagging. Give it a try.
On my Ultra, I run 16 lb in the rear solo and 20 2-up. Way better ride and manners than when I ran 10 lbs solo and 15 2-up.

#7 ·
The lower suspension on the SG makes it less friendly for 2up riding. This is the moco's answer to the road king as a T to T bike.(Tavern to tavern). They are good looking and all, but the suspension does leave something to be desired (for me).
I think that you bought the wrong bike for 2up riding.-2$en#e-

#8 ·
route66paul said:
The lower suspension on the SG makes it less friendly for 2up riding. This is the moco's answer to the road king as a T to T bike.(Tavern to tavern). They are good looking and all, but the suspension does leave something to be desired (for me).
I think that you bought the wrong bike for 2up riding.-2$en#e-
A simple change of shocks to the progressive 440's (one inch longer) and a Mustang Sport touring seat will work wonders. Been there done that!!! AND if the rider and passenger exceed 300 pounds I'd get the HD springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.