V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about the Road King Custom and Street Glide. I currently have an '05 Deuce and love the handeling and looks of the bike. I have yet been able to get myself to put a set of saddle bags or a windshield on it yet. But I constantly find myself needing to haul stuff, for instance when I ride my bike in to work I may need my leathers for the morning but dont want to wear them for the ride home. I have gotten to where I dont mind the looks of the windshield or saddle bags as much as I did when I first got it, but you are talking about over $1000.00 to get both on my bike.

I guess my question is would that money be better used to move up to a Road King Custom or a Street Glide (the only 2 baggers I like the looks of). If so what are some of the pros and cons of each of these two bikes? What aspects of the Deuce do you lose when going to a touring model?

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I have a Custom and I couldn't be happier with it. Saddle bags on a bike can be invaluable when, like you said, you come home wearing less gear, or on trips. Keep in mind though that the Custom doesn't have a windshield stock. I got one for cheap but never use it unless it's a long trip with my wife. But there's the two benifits of a RK, you can have a windshield or not. I love the look of the SG and I've ridden a couple of them but I don't like the fairing. It blocks a lot of the view directly in front of the bike. Plus you can't take it off. However it might just be something to get used to.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Depends on your ride

If all you are dealing with is your leathers and a small amount of stuff, you might be satisfied with the bags and detachable for a grand on your scoot. I have them on my FXD and it works fine for just me. But lots of my miles on weekends are long miles, two up, so we are talking twice the stuff when me and my wife both need to shuck the chaps and jackets, not to mention her little travel purse, and possibly my digital camera, cap, etc. I hate to part with the FXD because one up it handles like a dream, but I am going to either a road king or streetglide once I get it sold. Can't afford to have 2 scoots in the garage when I can only ride one at a time, so I will have to sacrifice and go to the big road bike. I have ridden the road king, like it, haven't ridden the street glide, but rode my friend's ultra classic and didn't find the fairing to be a problem, plus my wife likes the radio and like having instruments like oil gauge, so I am leaning towards the streetglide if I can afford it, other wise a gently rode road king a couple of years old. I would say take your time and really ponder the situation as I am sure your present scoot out handles the big road bike. Just my -2$en#e-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts