V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I am pretty sure the rear has 12 inch shocks stock. I switched out to 11 inch shocks and it seemed an inch lower. I will mesure them when I get home and correct myself if i'm wrong unless someone else does before me.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Thanks for the conformation....

·
Ridin it like I stole it!
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. i can see a set of Black Progressives getting bought very soon.

Bry

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm putting on the the Progressive 418 11.5's on mine to drop it a bit. Plus I hear they ride great and look slick as well.

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I am planning on buying the Progressive Heavy Duty 412's in ALL BLACK.
I will probably run the 12' as I sometimes ride 2 -up and I changed the rear tire out to a Metzeler 180, so I don't want to be bottoming out when I hit a pothole or bump as the roads in the Northeast are notoriously bumpy and torn up.

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
floyd78 said:
I am pretty sure the rear has 12 inch shocks stock. I switched out to 11 inch shocks and it seemed an inch lower. I will mesure them when I get home and correct myself if i'm wrong unless someone else does before me.
Floyd78,
What brand are you running?

·
Banned
169 Posts
I'm totally amazed at how the Bob's suspension soaks up bumps at speed and the cornering clearance the 12" shocks allow, but when it comes time for a change I think I'll go with 12.5"s.

I plan to mount a custom bobbed fender lowered over the tire to give about 1/2" between it and the tire with the 12.5s fully collapsed. Even with the longer shock it will visually lower the rear a lot more than stock 12s. To me like having your cake and eating it too.

:cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
bporcelli,

Im just a bit above you in ME, id be interested to hear about the Met 180 you have on your Bob, what was involved? I want the 180 but not the HD kit.

Thanks

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MaineHD said:
bporcelli,

Im just a bit above you in ME, id be interested to hear about the Met 180 you have on your Bob, what was involved? I want the 180 but not the HD kit.

Thanks
Cool, I am in Merrimack.
I LOATHE the Dunlops so that made the kit no really work for ME. So I a parted out the kit and its $20-40 for the 2 brackets and some assorted pieces. So the remainder was $225 for the tire. So I ordered those parts and am having them installed at delivery.
I went with the Metzeler ME880 in the front and in the back the was no ME 880 that fit so I went with the m putting on a METZELER Z6 ROADTEC 180/55ZR-17.

Once it's all togather I will give you an update.

Bry

·
Registered
17 Posts
awesome, looking forward to seeing it, also how did you part out the SE 180mm tire kit, thru the dealer?, if you have a parts breakdown maybe youd be kind enough to share?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
bporcelli,

I am running the 11" progressives all black. There is plenty of clearace for me as I went with a new fender. But a thing to note is I just did some upgrades to my brother in laws bob and he stayed stock. He also has allot of clearance with the 11" shocks. The only thing that you have to watch out for is the belt guard. We just removed the guard on his and it now has plenty of room. It looks really good to with out it.

MaineHD

We did the 180 kit on my bros bike to and the kit is a rip you can use the stock strut mounts with the wider tire. I dont understand what the new ones do any different. I would just buy an aftermarket tire and go with it...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Floyd, what rear fender did you switch to? I'd really like to see a pic. I'm going to switch the rear fender on my Bob as well and mount it lower to the tire, just not sure what fender to go with. I think with the 11.5" 418s and a different mount I can close the gap up some. I only weigh 165 and won't hardly ride 2 up so I think I can get it pretty close to the tire. I to am in the process of doing the 180 Metzler but on an 18" wheel.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I will post pics later tonight. I just wraped the bike up last night. I am heading off to daytona on friday. I used a sumax composit fender. It is setup for a 18" X 200 rear tire. I am going to modify it next year to take that tire. I would say that you will have plenty of room with 11 1/2 inch shocks. Why are you going 11 1/2 with a new fender? I can see if you are staying with a stock fender but if your changing that out anyway why not go lower. No big deal just a though. It looks good slamed down in the back though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That will be a slick setup. Are you going to run a chain to do it? I thought about trying a 200 and chain but decided that a 180 is more the look I want. the reason I went with the 11.5's is that I really like the look of the 418 shocks. I got the one's with the black springs. The whole bike is black mixed with chrome. Plus the 11.5's and a new thinner custom seat will put me pretty low to the ground. I really thought about going with the 11" 412's in black though. I'm going to try to get registered so I can actually view pics but send some to [email protected] if you don't mind.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
yes I will be switching to an open primary belt drive and chain drive rear. I know it is more work to maintain but I plan on doing more engine work and will need the chain anyway. I just ran out of time to do it this year. Plus they dont have an open primary just yet for the 06. I will e-mail you some picks later.

·
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
floyd78 said:
I will post pics later tonight. I just wraped the bike up last night. I am heading off to daytona on friday. I used a sumax composit fender. It is setup for a 18" X 200 rear tire. I am going to modify it next year to take that tire. I would say that you will have plenty of room with 11 1/2 inch shocks. Why are you going 11 1/2 with a new fender? I can see if you are staying with a stock fender but if your changing that out anyway why not go lower. No big deal just a though. It looks good slamed down in the back though.

Floyd,
We need some pics :cheers:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yea, pics!! I'm really interested to see your rear fender setup. After I finish everything else up that will be my next change along with fabbing up brackets for a spring seat I'm putting on it. I'm thinking the Jesse James Tombstone or Gunslinger rear fender...pretty cheap on ebay.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Here you go, sorry for the delay I was in Daytona all week. It turned out pretty well I still need to get it on the dyno. I am also going to wrap the pipes to cover the yellowing...I am still going to add the front fender and decals on the tank to...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts